'What a backward step': Woolworths' latest payment method earns mixed reactions

As we navigate the ever-evolving retail landscape, it's no surprise that our shopping experiences continue to change.

We have seen the transition from cash as king to the rise of digital payments.

However, a recent shift by a popular supermarket sparked a conversation about the future of cash payments in their stores.

Woolworths, one of Australia's leading supermarket chains, has been quietly expanding a new payment system, causing quite a stir among shoppers.

Since 2020, Woolworths Metro stores have started introducing checkout machines that require customers to insert notes and coins directly rather than handing cash to a cashier.

This trial has extended to two Woolworths supermarkets in New South Wales since 2021.

compressed-woolworths (2).jpeg
Woolworths shoppers shared their opinions about the new self-service checkouts. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Wisely

While Woolworths staff remain on counters to scan and bag groceries, shoppers are now expected to process their cash payments.

This move left some customers feeling frustrated and nostalgic for the personal touch of customer service.

'What a backward step, Woolworths. You will lose a lot of business by your stupidity,' one customer said online.

'I will be asking for staff discounts soon between self-service and this,' another shared.

On the other hand, several shoppers welcome the change.

'That's really cool,' another commenter said.

'I know it seems stupid, but it does reduce theft. Also, it's cleaner for the cashier not to have to handle all those notes and coins.'

A Woolworths spokesperson defended the new machines, highlighting their popularity with workers.

'The machines provide significant benefits to our Metro team members by removing the handling, counting, and transporting of cash, as well as reducing the risk of theft,' the spokesperson shared.

The spokesperson also pointed out that the process for customers using these machines is similar to self-service checkouts, aiming to make shopping more efficient.

Financial journalist and pro-cash campaigner Jason Bryce called for supermarkets to ensure that at least 40 per cent of checkout terminals accept cash.

'There's an Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) process now talking about how to ensure the cash industry can be sustainable,' Bryce shared.

The reliability of cash was underscored during a recent global outage, which saw many electronic payment systems go offline.

'Supermarkets have to make a clear, open, unambiguous commitment to accept cash and provide EFTPOS cash-out,' Bryce added.

'Often, the EFTPOS system is down, and cash is the only way to pay, but terminals don't accept cash. We need to be able to pay for food using cash.'

'The banks can't build a reliable, private, surcharge-free payment system, so there will always be a need for cash,' Bryce stated, emphasising the need for banks and retailers to support cash.

In addition to the cash-handling machines, Woolworths also rolled out 'hybrid checkouts' nationwide.

These new checkouts blended self-service with manned registers, catering to the shoppers' changing preferences.

According to Woolworths, customer data showed a strong preference for self-service checkouts for smaller basket sizes.

In contrast, larger baskets tend to lead customers to staffed checkouts.

The introduction of these hybrid checkouts will remove express lanes from some stores.

Woolworths assured shoppers that there will still be checkout options to suit every customer's needs.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths expanded the rollout of their self-service cash handling machines, causing some customer dissatisfaction.
  • Advocates for cash transactions are concerned about the reduction of cash acceptance and the reliability of digital payment systems.
  • Woolworths argued that the cash-handling machines benefit both workers and customers by offering efficiency and reducing theft.
  • In response to changing shopping habits, Woolworths also introduced 'hybrid checkouts' to offer a mix of self-serve and traditional manned registers for a new front-of-store experience.
Have you encountered these new cash-handling machines at Woolworths? Do you prefer paying with cash or a card when you shop? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
'I know it seems stupid, but it does reduce theft. Also, it's cleaner for the cashier not to have to handle all those notes and coins.'

How many thousands of shop assistants have died from diseases contacted from "contaminated" bank notes and coins? Has there been a drop in such deaths since the introduction of self serves checkouts and digital payment? Maybe the anti cash activists will use this as ammunition for their cause.

Yes, I DO take things to the extreme....

For fun!

• Haha
Reactions: Macarj
Good, I say! I stood behind an older gent at the checkout the other day. He paid for his shopping with all coins, and not many gold coins. He then insisted on counting it out first himself, putting them in piles of one dollar stacks - we all grew a bit older waiting and waiting. Argh!

Reactions: Ezzy and Macarj
Good, I say! I stood behind an older gent at the checkout the other day. He paid for his shopping with all coins, and not many gold coins. He then insisted on counting it out first himself, putting them in piles of one dollar stacks - we all grew a bit older waiting and waiting. Argh!
On the other side of the coin, in November last year, a younger guy asked if he could go in front of me at a staffed checkout. I reluctantly agreed to let him through as he had only one item, compared to my whopping five. One pack of Huggies disposable nappies.

He paid by card. After having his transaction declined by using six different cards, I made my disgust obvious by saying loudly "I'd like to get home sometime before Christmas!!" Another three or so cards later, finally one that worked! What should have taken less than a minute, turned into a debacle that lasted almost 10 minutes. The look on his face was one of utter embarrassment. And so he should!

On the other side of the coin, in November last year, a younger guy asked if he could go in front of me at a staffed checkout. I reluctantly agreed to let him through as he had only one item, compared to my whopping five. One pack of Huggies disposable nappies.

He paid by card. After having his transaction declined by using six different cards, I made my disgust obvious by saying loudly "I'd like to get home sometime before Christmas!!" Another three or so cards later, finally one that worked! What should have taken less than a minute, turned into a debacle that lasted almost 10 minutes. The look on his face was one of utter embarrassment. And so he should!
Yes, but you are mean! LOL

As long as there are still staff serving customers and accepting cash I am in agreement with this change - cash is extremely dirty and responsible for passing on many pathogens.
Care to mention which pathogens?

Try this for size.

Overall, while laboratory simulations using high viral loads implicated long survival of different infectious viruses and viral RNA has been detected on banknotes and coins, current evidence suggests, that banknotes and coins do not pose a particular risk of viral infection for the public.
Numerous studies have been conducted over the years citing SARS-CoV-2, human influenza virus, rhinovirus, rotavirus, hepatitis A virus, HBV, poliovirus, and norovirus, however, these studies were made under in vitro conditions where those conditions are ideal for the propagation of pathogens, not in real life environments.

Source: Toni Luise Meister, Lisa Kirchhoff, Yannick Brüggemann, Daniel Todt, Joerg Steinmann, Eike Steinmann, Stability of pathogens on banknotes and coins: A narrative review, Journal of Medical Virology, 15 December 2023.

Reactions: Macarj
I feel their taking away our freedom of choice, are some staff going to be made redundant?
I'll pay cash for as long as I can, then I'll look around for shops that take cash.

Reactions: Ezzy

Oh Veggie that must have been annoying but the poor bugger probably didn't have much money with obviously having a baby . So embarrassing for him lf the nappies had not been too expensive l would have paid for them

Reactions: Sylvsptr and Ezzy
Oh Veggie that must have been annoying but the poor bugger probably didn't have much money with obviously having a baby . So embarrassing for him lf the nappies had not been too expensive l would have paid for them
The point is that the fellow was in such a rush as to "jump the queue" only to inconvenience other shoppers. The reason I wanted to be home by Christmas is the bus I was catching only runs every two hours on Saturday afternoons. I gave myself ample time to catch the 2.28 pm from Dandenong Station and stuffed if I wanted to wait for the 4.28 pm service.

Maybe he should have thought that having a family costs money which is more important than the ample quantities of tattoos on his arms and legs.

Reactions: Ezzy
The point is that the fellow was in such a rush as to "jump the queue" only to inconvenience other shoppers. The reason I wanted to be home by Christmas is the bus I was catching only runs every two hours on Saturday afternoons. I gave myself ample time to catch the 2.28 pm from Dandenong Station and stuffed if I wanted to wait for the 4.28 pm service.

Maybe he should have thought that having a family costs money which is more important than the ample quantities of tattoos on his arms and legs.
Oh no in that case l wouldn't have l didn't know he had tattoo's