What’s a childhood memory that got you into big trouble with your parents?

Hey members!

I hope you’re having a great week so far. I’m hopping on here again to ask you all another question that will surely bring a smile to your faces.

So, our dear member, L John P, has posed an intriguing question: What’s a childhood memory that got you into big trouble with your parents?

Ooh, I invite you all to take a trip down memory lane and reminisce about those childhood moments that landed us in hot water with our parents. I’ll go first. I can recall so many instances like not making it home in time for tea (classic, right?), losing my precious lunch box at school (I felt the wrath when I lost mum’s Tupperware!), and the list goes on.

Now, it’s your turn to share your childhood mischief and let’s have a good laugh together. I can’t wait to hear your stories and reminisce about the innocent trouble we caused back in the day.

View attachment 20011

Hey members!

I hope you’re having a great week so far. I’m hopping on here again to ask you all another question that will surely bring a smile to your faces.

So, our dear member, L John P, has posed an intriguing question: What’s a childhood memory that got you into big trouble with your parents?

Ooh, I invite you all to take a trip down memory lane and reminisce about those childhood moments that landed us in hot water with our parents. I’ll go first. I can recall so many instances like not making it home in time for tea (classic, right?), losing my precious lunch box at school (I felt the wrath when I lost mum’s Tupperware!), and the list goes on.

Now, it’s your turn to share your childhood mischief and let’s have a good laugh together. I can’t wait to hear your stories and reminisce about the innocent trouble we caused back in the day.

View attachment 20011
Credits: Shutterstock

Swearing - I was 8 when my grandparents rescued me from an orphanage. I had gone to school this day and the "new" swear word - which I hadn't heard before was the F word. When I arrived home this day my Mum told me to do my homework before play, so I told her to F... off. She asked me what it meant to which I told her I didn't know but all the kids at school were saying it. Regardless my butt was sore for a couple of days. Every time I went home as an adult, she reminded me of this event and asked if I found out what it meant, I have to admit I could never admit I did I always told her No, not sure she believed me though.

When I was younger, my mum said she got angry at me after she asked whether she looked good in a dress and I responded with: 'Yes, you beautiful egg'. :ROFLMAO: I was only 2 years old though, so I got away with it.

• Love
Reactions: Pink lion
Swearing - I was 8 when my grandparents rescued me from an orphanage. I had gone to school this day and the "new" swear word - which I hadn't heard before was the F word. When I arrived home this day my Mum told me to do my homework before play, so I told her to F... off. She asked me what it meant to which I told her I didn't know but all the kids at school were saying it. Regardless my butt was sore for a couple of days. Every time I went home as an adult, she reminded me of this event and asked if I found out what it meant, I have to admit I could never admit I did I always told her No, not sure she believed me though.
Mum made us drink caster or any of her children swore and if we swore again, she washed our mouths out with soap. both parents came from separate orphanages. Pemberton girls' home would have been TOUGH for little girls to grow up in. Tough to in Clontarf boy's town. That was pretty much a nightmare too back then judging by my father. Not much swearing went on in the pink household at all, till high school finished.

Mum made us drink caster or any of her children swore and if we swore again, she washed our mouths out with soap. both parents came from separate orphanages. Pemberton girls' home would have been TOUGH for little girls to grow up in. Tough to in Clontarf boy's town. That was pretty much a nightmare too back then judging by my father. Not much swearing went on in the pink household at all, till high school finished.
My best friend came from a family of 5 - 2 girls and 3 boys. Their mother would wash their mouths out with soap if they swore. We girls did not swear but every time the boys did, his sisters would dob so that we could watch the mouth-washing process. I was quite morbidly fascinated by this as it didn't happen in our family.

Hey members!

View attachment 20011

When my mother found out I was smoking because my brother dobbed me in about hiding my cigarettes in the hollow handlebars of my bike

I was about five years old we lived in a wheatbelt town called wickipin in W.A. it was always very hot. My parents went into town, I can't remember why but I was by myself I remember that I climbed up the ladder, ran along the hot roof and jumped into the water tank WHICH WAS A VERY BAD thing to do. Unfortunately, for me, it was only about 3/4 full. I stayed there, till I heard my father's car coming around the paddock.

It was scary because there were only white lumps to grab onto the wet ones were slippery, but my little fingers and feet managed to get up on the dry ones and jump up to catch the rim and crawl out.

Dad was coming in the driveway, so I ran away from the ladder, or he would see me, But I slid off the roof butt naked, headfirst down and impaled my skull top dead center with a Four-inch galvanized nail, that stuck up from on a tile Batton that was on the ground. Soon mum was holding me, dad was sawing the timber and I was bent over head facing down, squealing in pain.

I had a propellor with a towel around my head for about an hour, because they couldn't pull it out. every time the timber moved it hurt. I will write it out fully one day calling it five cattle grids to Narrogin hospital. Our old Dodge Ute was a bouncy vehicle at the best of times, but that trip wasn't fun.

For years my mum used to say "THERES NOTHING IN YOUR HEAD, WE BLOODY PROVED IT." Evidently, the doctors unwound it out(wriggle nails) and it didn't even bleed much.

A Professional dowser years later looked at me in curiously and said "I have checked it three times my boy, you have galvanized iron in your brain" I said yeah, that sounds right and told him the story.

Last edited:
Reactions: MotherGoose
When we were about 3 and 5 my older sister and I decided to play hairdressers. She cut off one of my plaits, then refused to let me cut off one of hers. When mum found out she was most unimpressed, that my sister had cut my plait off, so she had to give me a haircut. My sister got a taste of the hairbrush for her trouble. Another time my sister and I had to ride the horse up the road behind the milking cows and put them into the top paddock. When we got there the big bull was near the gate inside the paddock, we were too scared to open the gate so just went home and left the cows on the road. We didn’t say anything. Later that night a neighbour came and told dad the cows were all over the road. Dad pulled us out of bed, yelled at us and gave us a belting when he found out what we had done, then dragged us walking up the road in the dark and made us help round up the cows and put them in the paddock. It was a freezing cold night and we were terrified of the dark, dad had a torch but it didn’t light much up. It took us quite awhile to get all the cows into the paddock. We were freezing when we got home, mum wanted to give us a warm drink but dad said we didn’t deserve a warm drink and sent us straight to bed. We were only 5 and 3 at the time, our father really expected too much of us, but times were hard and he made us work or we went to bed without tea from a very early age. At that stage he was sharefarming on a dairy farm.

• Wow
My Mum was a great mother, however perhaps somewhat on the strict side. Smacking was frequently administered, especially to me, being the older brother, who "should have known better," even though I was still very young in the 1940s.
Mum sent my younger brother and I to wait in our local grocer shop while she finished the shopping elsewhere, but I thought she meant the optometric, so we went there. Naturally, I was smacked when we were found. Have never forgotten that--it seemed unfair.
not unfair extreme worry