Westpac issues apologies after leaving customers without access to money for hours

In a recent incident that left millions of Australians in a financial lurch, Westpac, one of the country's major banks, experienced a lengthy outage that barred customers from accessing their accounts for more than eight hours.

The bank has since issued an apology, but the incident has raised serious questions about the reliability of digital banking services and the potential consequences for customers.

The outage, which began shortly after 9 p.m. on a Monday, December 4, left customers unable to access their account information via online and mobile banking.

The bank's initial response was to assure customers that their teams were working to resolve the issue. However, as the hours ticked by with no resolution, the customers' frustration and anxiety grew.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 073819.png
Westpac's 8-hour outage left customers stranded without access to their own money. Credit: @dez_blanchfield/X (Twitter)

Many took to social media platforms to voice their concerns.

'No accounts listed on [the] browser or on [the] mobile app. What's going on, Westpac? Outage?' one customer asked.

Another expressed fear of being scammed, 'Westpac online banking showing no accounts. Are you having a problem? Can you make an announcement somewhere as we start to fear that we have been scammed? Can’t get through to anyone, of course.'

‘A bit of transparency would be nice! So many people [are] unable to access their money,’ someone else wrote on social media.

‘I’m getting nervous. Anyone else?’ Another posted, while a third person remarked: ‘This is a scary situation.’

At 10:40 p.m., Westpac confirmed continued service disruptions to their 12 million customers.

As the outage continued into the early morning hours, the bank's lack of transparency and infrequent updates only added to the growing unease.

Customers from both Australia and New Zealand were left in the dark, wondering what had caused the outage and when they would be able to access their money again.

Finally, in the early morning of December 5, Westpac announced that their mobile and online banking services had been restored.

The bank apologised to its customers, acknowledging that the issue had taken too long to resolve and thanking them for their patience.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 075119.png
Westpac issued an apology to its customers. Credit: @Westpac/X (Twitter)

The bank cited a ‘routine technology update’ that had been rolled out prior to the outage. But, the company did not confirm if it caused the said outage.

The incident has highlighted the vulnerability of digital banking systems and the potential for such outages to cause significant disruption and distress for customers.

It also raised questions about the adequacy of banks' contingency plans and their ability to communicate effectively with customers during such crises.

In the wake of the outage, some customers have expressed discontent with Westpac’s failed communication, while some have called for compensation, citing the inconvenience and stress caused by the incident.

‘Almost 10 hours outage due to supposedly a routine update, no prior communications on a planned “routine” update, no communications from 11:48 [p.m.] for almost 6 hours, no email/SMS to customers once you know there’s an issue. Feel you need to explain more than just a standard “We want to apologise”,’ a frustrated customer pointed out.

‘My husband and I couldn’t sleep last night. We went to bed feeling very uneasy not knowing what had happened to our accounts. With the @Optus outage they have compensated us. What will Westpac be offering?’ another affected customer asked.

However, it remains to be seen how the bank will respond to these demands.

You can watch 9 News Australia’s coverage of the story here:

Less than a month ago, Optus experienced a 13-hour outage, affecting 10 million customers, including hospitals, businesses and transport networks. In response, the telecommunications company offered an extra 200GB of data as compensation, a decision that further angered customers who had been demanding monetary reimbursement.

This Westpac outage also comes after speculations that Australia’s biggest banks were allegedly charging high fees for over-the-counter transactions to discourage branch usage.

Key Takeaways
  • Westpac Bank faced backlash from its customers due to a lengthy 8-hour outage, preventing access to their accounts.
  • Westpac issued an apology for the issues and inconvenience caused, stating that their online and mobile banking services were restored and running normally.
  • In the wake of the outage, some customers have expressed discontent with Westpac’s failed communication, while some have called for compensation.
  • Despite the resolution, some customers called for compensation. This follows a similar incident with Optus, whose compensation was seen as inadequate after a comparable outage.

Were you affected by this outage, members? Let us know in the comments below.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: Cheezil and BJM
Sponsored
The main concern for me was that the outage occurred on 'pension night' (i.e. when my Centrelink Aged Pension goes into my account overnight, with my regular bills being automatically deducted at the same time. It made it impossible to check that my payment had come through and rent/bills paid. This led to a restless/sleepless night of simply not knowing if everything was ok. Better early communication and clarity was greatly needed by many pensioners, etc.
An interesting side-note was that my computer running Windows 11 ALSO did a major firmware (including bios) update early in the morning, and I couldn't help but wonder if the firmware update might have triggered the bank outage if the update occurred synchronously across the board on their system tool.

The main concern for me was that the outage occurred on 'pension night' (i.e. when my Centrelink Aged Pension goes into my account overnight, with my regular bills being automatically deducted at the same time. It made it impossible to check that my payment had come through and rent/bills paid. This led to a restless/sleepless night of simply not knowing if everything was ok. Better early communication and clarity was greatly needed by many pensioners, etc.
An interesting side-note was that my computer running Windows 11 ALSO did a major firmware (including bios) update early in the morning, and I couldn't help but wonder if the firmware update might have triggered the bank outage if the update occurred synchronously across the board on their system tool.
You have made a good point regarding periodic deductions coming out of your account via Centrepay and the like. I suppose the deductions can't occur if the digital system is down across the board. But not receiving your pension in a timely fashion is a concern.

Reactions: magpie1
I tried to make a transaction on Monday evening. I had to get a good night's sleep and make the transaction in the morning. Dammit! Such an inconvenience!

The major problem with computer technology is that it almost inevitably becomes a crutch that businesses totally rely on to do everything and anything that they need to do.

Which, of course, means that when it fails they are left flopping about like a fish out of water unable to do anything at all until the computer is fixed.

Even computer companies, that should know better, fall into this trap.

Every company should have an emergency system that is totally isolated from the main computer, whenever the main system is updated.

Even if it just supports sending messages to all customers, staff and media to keep people informed during outages.

"we thank customers for their patience" Weasel words! I can imagine that all customers were at their wits' ends trying to access accounts. No patience involved in that. And how on earth can Westpac imagine how the customers were reacting? So typical of big business. Someone needs to pay for this!

And I just now (4:49pm Tue 15/12) accessed my online account where I was told that they're experiencing problems and I should try again later.
I think they should just reopen the local branch which was shut down a couple of months ago.

Pathetic! Must admit, it was in the back of my mind that maybe either I'd been scammed or Westpac had & it's not a nice feeling!
Glad to wake up this morn & see my accounts all entact

Reactions: magpie1
The major problem with computer technology is that it almost inevitably becomes a crutch that businesses totally rely on to do everything and anything that they need to do.

Which, of course, means that when it fails they are left flopping about like a fish out of water unable to do anything at all until the computer is fixed.

Even computer companies, that should know better, fall into this trap.

Every company should have an emergency system that is totally isolated from the main computer, whenever the main system is updated.

Even if it just supports sending messages to all customers, staff and media to keep people informed during outages.
Digital technology simply does not understand common-sense.

Reactions: Cheezil
This is the problem with digital banking. I'd be happy to go back to a passbook and cash! Definitely pay cash.
How odd that in the paper age of cheque books, passbooks, paper bills and invoices and cash and cash registers that didn't depend on a computer and its software, let alone electricity, everything worked very effectively and the banks employed enough tellers to enable one to do one's job efficiently. Scams, outages, crashes, programming stuff-ups and ATMs that don't work because of something or other are the highlights of our modern, digital technology. Plus of course people being laid off work in favour of some computerised system. Do we REALLY need this digital crap?

Reactions: marni
How odd that in the paper age of cheque books, passbooks, paper bills and invoices and cash and cash registers that didn't depend on a computer and its software, let alone electricity, everything worked very effectively and the banks employed enough tellers to enable one to do one's job efficiently. Scams, outages, crashes, programming stuff-ups and ATMs that don't work because of something or other are the highlights of our modern, digital technology. Plus of course people being laid off work in favour of some computerised system. Do we REALLY need this digital crap?
I HEAR you brother....lets go back to those good old days and let Cash remain King. 😉

Reactions: marni