Westpac axes cardless cash withdrawals from their ATMs nationwide

Many of us rely on banks to keep our hard-earned money safe and accessible at all times.

In a move that took Australians by surprise, one of the country's leading banks announced the discontinuation of one of its major ATM services.

This decision marked a significant shift in the bank's approach to services and sparked a wave of reactions from customers who heavily relied on its convenience.

Westpac announced that its cardless cash withdrawal service will no longer be available starting Friday, 11 October, at 8 pm.

This feature allowed customers to access their money without needing a physical bank card.

Westpac stated that this change was the result of an ongoing review of their products and services.

compressed-westpac.jpeg
Westpac customers should now bring their physical cards to withdraw from their ATMs. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Haireena

While cardless cash withdrawals will stop, Westpac emphasised that customers can still withdraw cash using their physical cards at Westpac ATMs nationwide.

Additionally, cash transactions can still be conducted at Westpac branches across Australia.

Despite the bank's reassurance, many customers expressed their dissatisfaction with the decision.

Some customers perceived Westpac's sudden removal of the service as a 'backward step' in banking technology.

'Like a lot of people, I don't carry a physical card with me anymore, so cardless cash is really my only option if I need cash unexpectedly,' one customer lamented.

'Sounds like a step to eliminating ATMs completely. They don't want to be in the cash business,' another commented.

Some customers felt blindsided by the bank's sudden announcement.

'Devastated by this as well. It seems incredibly unexpected. I can't imagine it was any huge burden to maintain,' a third customer remarked.

'Wait, so I need to use a physical card now? I have not even had a wallet for five years,' a fourth customer exclaimed.

However, some suggested that the service had been exploited by scammers, which led to its discontinuation.

'I work for Westpac at the branch level, and the reason we removed them is the number of fraud and scam incidents happening with this ability was insanely high,' a comment from a Westpac employee read.

The employee also explained that cardless cash withdrawals were relatively infrequent on a national scale, with only around 4000 weekly transactions.

'It's just too much of a pain to administer at a branch level with the frauds and scams,' the employee added.

'Too many people are exploiting other people's internet banking to get the SMS code to extract money.'

While the decision to remove cardless cash withdrawals may help mitigate fraud, it also raised questions about the future of banking and the balance between convenience and security.

The challenge for Westpac and other central banks should be to provide convenient, innovative solutions without compromising security.

For now, Westpac customers should always bring their physical bank cards handy for ATM withdrawals.
Key Takeaways

• Westpac decided to discontinue its cardless cash withdrawal service at ATMs nationwide.
  • Customers should now use their physical bank card to make cash withdrawals from ATMs.
  • The closure of the service led to customer frustration, as some saw it as a backward step in banking.
  • A Westpac employee cited a high amount of fraud and scam incidents related to cardless cash withdrawals.
What are your thoughts on Westpac's decision to end this service? Have you relied on this service in the past? Share your experiences and thoughts with us in the comments section below.

Sponsored
I don't see a problem with this at all. I think it's safer having to use your physical card to use an ATM. If people have more then one account, why can't they just transfer monies via internet banking from one account to the other being the one used for spending. That solves the problem of using an ATM altogether!

Why should all MAJOR BANKS get away with taking away ATM"S from people that rely on the ATM"S to take cash out. Yes you can take cash out at the cash register at the shops but if that stops how can people get their cash out. WHO ever thought of a cashless community well they thought wrong. They are greedy in thinking that all people don't get charged for taking cash out. All BANKS should think their strategy and quick other wise people will go else where for things to do like fraud,thieving,and all the bad things that are happening in our community today and always.????????????
I guess you didn't read the article properly. Westpac IS NOT stopping people from using ATMs to take out cash. They are just stopping people from doing so without having to use their card. I have always thought that cardless withdrawals were a scammers picnic. This action to me has proved my point as one of the reasons given for stopping this service was the amount of withdrawals made by scammers.

Reactions: deni67
WESTPAC - The last bank I would go into.
Had an argument with them 25 years ago and vowed never to to into them.
I had to bank some money 15 years later for the school and there was no difference in the service.
Does the mean they will not take cash deposits???
Please read the article again. They are only stopping CARDLESS withdrawals.

Reactions: IAN3005 and deni67
as older Aussie like to pay in cash ,banks are making us pay more for services they need to open up their branches again and bring back the bank books we didn't get scammed with the books and on weekends if you run out of money you stayed home and saved
You are so right.

I believe that this service would've been easily scammed because of not needing a card so as a Westpac customer myself I think it has been a good decision on the part of the bank in protecting their customers.

Reactions: wendell
I hope the other banks wont do it, as all my pay is paid into the bank, and once a fortnight I have to drew some out for food etc.
If you use your card to withdraw money, this doesn't affect you. It affects people who do NOT use a physical plastic card. You can breathe easy, if you still have an ATM close enough to you.

Reactions: deni67 and wendell
Why should all MAJOR BANKS get away with taking away ATM"S from people that rely on the ATM"S to take cash out. Yes you can take cash out at the cash register at the shops but if that stops how can people get their cash out. WHO ever thought of a cashless community well they thought wrong. They are greedy in thinking that all people don't get charged for taking cash out. All BANKS should think their strategy and quick other wise people will go else where for things to do like fraud,thieving,and all the bad things that are happening in our community today and always.????????????
I can’t see anything wrong with it. If you can’t carry your bank card with you to use the services to safe guard yourself against fraud something wrong
If you want money at the supermarket you still have to have your card don’t you

I wish people would take their time to read fully what is announced by Westpac. Cardless Withdrawal only is the headline. That's all Folks. Nothing to do with anything else.

Why do people just not read carefully, I do not know.

I’ve banked with Westpac since before it became Westpac and I’ve never heard of it.
I'm the same, I joined when I came to Australia in 66', I was at primary school and we were given the choice of The Bank of N.S.W., which later became Westpac, and the Commonwealth bank, we each got a piggy bank, the Commonwealth was in the shape of a building made of metal and the Bank of N.S.W was a proper looking piggy bank, I liked that one more so iv'e been with them ever since to this day.

Why is your heading feeling fear and misleading? Perhaps this action is a step closer to forcing a cashless society..but disapointingly seniour discout club sensationalised the headingby leaving out that it's cardless atm cash withdrawals. Please don't sensionalise and fear -monger your articles, yes alert us to what's going on and continue to be constructive on what we can do about it. Thankyou
Did you not read the heading of the story?
It says:

"Westpac axes cardless cash withdrawals from their ATMs nationwide"

So they didn't leave it out at all!

Reactions: freedy50
Cliffe, read the full article.

Reactions: deni67 and freedy50
Most people shop in a supermarket....get your cash there or at a post office. With your card of course.
NO CHEQUES ?????( if all banks stop the issue of cheques) Sad that cheques will not be available to make payments from home by post. Discrimination to the elderly and housebound. This will also affect donations from people posting cheques from home. Charities will have less support. E. Cunningham.

Most people shop in a supermarket....get your cash there or at a post office. With your card of course.
NO CHEQUES ?????( if all banks stop the issue of cheques) Sad that cheques will not be available to make payments from home by post. Discrimination to the elderly and housebound. This will also affect donations from people posting cheques from home. Charities will have less support. E. Cunningham.
Funny you say that. A while ago, I received a cheque from Telstra. Big companies are still allowed to post cheques.

Maybe you should go back to the school whose money you were banking & learn how to read & comprehend what you have read. They are only stopping cardless withdrawals to protect customers from scammers.
For now....https://youtu.be/eViswN602_k

Who on earth still wants to use cheques? That's really old fashioned backwards technology.🙄

Obviously you've got to quote the elderly to make it sound worse. 😁
This forum is called Senior Discount Club so I assume there must be "elderly" people on here? How many of them feel discriminated against because of not having any cheques to use?🤔