SX2002

Aug 23, 2021
Adelaide
Well it is Spring

Despite the below average weather we're getting...another cold, wet & windy day here in Adelaide. We've been getting some beaut Bee pics posted lately, so here are a few more that are enjoying the weather.
The first shot is a Blue Banded Bee, one of Australia's 2,000 native bee species. The others are of course European Honey Bees. An article I read recently said that these guys can recognise human faces. I guess they must know me really well as my head is very often stuck in a bush photographing them... 😂

Blue Banded Bee (Australian Native).jpg

DSC_1213.JPG

DSC_1214.JPG

DSC_1215.JPG

Wow Ron! These are incredible! I don't think I have ever seen a Blue Banded Bee before, they are incredible?! I had no idea bees came in different colours (I obviously don't know a lot about bees!)

Thank you Maddie...as I said, there are about 2,000 native bees in Australia, some are very tiny, only a few mm long. The Blue Banded Bee, like a lot of other native bees don't sting either. They are responsible for the pollination of about 30% of Australia's crops. The Blue Banded Bees don't have hives either but live in holes in walls or the ground. They are solitary. Farmers actually build massive bee houses for them with thousands of holes for the bees to live in. You can even buy small bee houses for your garden.

Thank you Maddie...as I said, there are about 2,000 native bees in Australia, some are very tiny, only a few mm long. The Blue Banded Bee, like a lot of other native bees don't sting either. They are responsible for the pollination of about 30% of Australia's crops. The Blue Banded Bees don't have hives either but live in holes in walls or the ground. They are solitary. Farmers actually build massive bee houses for them with thousands of holes for the bees to live in. You can even buy small bee houses for your garden.
Wow Ron, I honestly had no idea! Thank you so much for teaching me this, I also can't believe they don't sting, Ha! I thought all bees do.

I'm glad to hear people have little homes for them to live in, I might have to buy one to help keep them safe too!

Great photos Ron, it's refreshing to see someone producing such images without resorting to massive software tweaking. :D

Reactions: Goodbloke
Wow Ron, I honestly had no idea! Thank you so much for teaching me this, I also can't believe they don't sting, Ha! I thought all bees do.

I'm glad to hear people have little homes for them to live in, I might have to buy one to help keep them safe too!
Even our European Honey Bees won't sting you unless you miss-handle them or tread on them in bare feet. I've been sticking my face in bushes to photograph them for some years now and have never been stung. I quite often pick them out of our birdbath when they get stuck in the water. They sit quite happily on my hand until they dry out and fly off. A few times I've found one caught by ants, I just picked her up, picked the ants off and it's almost like they show me a thank you before they fly away. WE have some small trumpet shaped flowers and occasionally the crawl inside to get the nectar and get stuck, I just grab them by the bum and pull them out..LOL. I think I might have also mentioned, European Honey Bees can recognise human faces so I think my bees know me very well after all this time.

• Love
Reactions: Vinylted
Despite the below average weather we're getting...another cold, wet & windy day here in Adelaide. We've been getting some beaut Bee pics posted lately, so here are a few more that are enjoying the weather.
The first shot is a Blue Banded Bee, one of Australia's 2,000 native bee species. The others are of course European Honey Bees. An article I read recently said that these guys can recognise human faces. I guess they must know me really well as my head is very often stuck in a bush photographing them... 😂

View attachment 205

View attachment 206

View attachment 207

View attachment 208
Beautiful. Thank you.