SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

Athena E.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 1, 2023
Waterbed

Have you ever owned a waterbed? Back in the mid-80s, it felt like nearly every Aussie household had one!

Those wavy, cushiony mattresses were all the rage, and opinions were divided. Some swore by them for the best sleep of their lives, while others found themselves struggling to get comfortable on those wobbly waves.

Whether you loved them or not, almost everyone has a story about waterbeds. We’d love to hear yours—share it with us here!

463179586_2534901883367633_4535394404923379253_n.jpg
Source: Memory Lane - Growing up in Australia / Facebook

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: NotNats
I had the same one that is in the Photo, I found it very comfortable to sleep on and great in winter with the heater. A funny story about one, not so funny for the owner of it. Being a firefighter, got called to a house fire. After the flames were extinguished, the cause of the fire was quite evident. Hanging out the window was a garden hose, the garden hose led to a well chared waterbed. You do not go shopping, while draining the water out of a water bed with the heater left on. You tend to loose your bed and the house around it. True story.

The worst thing ever invented, we had one, my husband thought it was wonderful, I hated it, eventualy it sprang a leak, I thought that would be the end of it, but no, my husband had it fixed, but then the second leak was on his side, YIPEE that was when it finally went to the bed graveyard.

The worst thing ever invented, we had one, my husband thought it was wonderful, I hated it, eventualy it sprang a leak, I thought that would be the end of it, but no, my husband had it fixed, but then the second leak was on his side, YIPEE that was when it finally went to the bed graveyard.
The leak dampened his enthusiasm.

Yes we had one and it was comfortable - it was good in winter because the water was heated. In the end because my husband got sick a lot and couldn't cope with the rocking motion of the bed when either of us moved we went back to a conventional mattress and base. It was definitely a craze of the 80's.

😳🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Ebby
I had a waterbed from about1972 up to about 4 years ago! I am now 71 years old. I loved my waterbed!! Warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It looked just like the one in the photo however I never filled it that full. When I moved to Australia in 1978 I brought the waterbed with me. The only reason I got rid of it was because it was getting a bit difficult to get out of!!! I was so worried that I wouldn't find a mattress that I liked (one of the reasons I held onto to it for so long). We bought a caravan and had to get a new mattress for it. I loved that mattress so I went and got another one for my bed. I listed the waterbed on Facebook Marketplace for free and it was snatched up in about 2 days. They even gave us $50 for it!!! Win Win.