Apr 23, 2023
Watch your bank accounts

Watch your bank account statements. I was scammed out of some money from my bank account on 1/09/2023. I check my bank balances on a regular basis and today some money had been stolen from my account from a company I never buy from. I got onto my bank straightaway and had my card cancelled. Those scammers are becoming so brazen. This is a first for me ever and I’ve been with my bank for 40yrs.

Watch your bank accounts

Watch your bank account statements. I was scammed out of some money from my bank account on 1/09/2023. I check my bank balances on a regular basis and today some money had been stolen from my account from a company I never buy from. I got onto my bank straightaway and had my card cancelled. Those scammers are becoming so brazen. This is a first for me ever and I’ve been with my bank for 40yrs.
I'm so sorry to hear this, @Veronica McDonald :( This is so scary. It definitely pays to keep an eye on our bank accounts just in case there are any suspicious transactions.

Some of my identity was stolen so I have banned myself for 12mths from taking any loans out, which means if anybody try’s to take a loan or get credit with my personal details they won’t be able to. I can also take the ban off at anytime.

Have had exactly the same problem. I do check my Bank Accounts Daily and have probably had about 5 or 6 credit cards cancelled over the last 3 or 4 months.. As you can imagine this is highly inconvenient for all concerned..........and frustrating in the extreme....To date our Bank has returned all money scammed except for one item..and this is laughable..I am 82 years old..and this particular entry was for a belly dancing club in Brazil......but they had my details so exact that the bank were unable to treat it as a scam...I use it now for a good laugh......

Have had exactly the same problem. I do check my Bank Accounts Daily and have probably had about 5 or 6 credit cards cancelled over the last 3 or 4 months.. As you can imagine this is highly inconvenient for all concerned..........and frustrating in the extreme....To date our Bank has returned all money scammed except for one item..and this is laughable..I am 82 years old..and this particular entry was for a belly dancing club in Brazil......but they had my details so exact that the bank were unable to treat it as a scam...I use it now for a good laugh......
Is there no common sense…banks just do my head in

Reactions: Gsr and Dalgie
Well I hope you had a good time while you were there. Surely the bank could see how improbable it would be for you to visit a belly dancing club, especially in Brazil.

Some of my identity was stolen so I have banned myself for 12mths from taking any loans out, which means if anybody try’s to take a loan or get credit with my personal details they won’t be able to. I can also take the ban off at anytime.
Hi, Just curious on how you do this? Sounds like a good idea

Reactions: Veronica McDonald
Have to send us a photo of your dancing skills.Maybe try pole dancing too. Sorry you got ripped off.

I'm so sorry to hear this, @Veronica McDonald :( This is so scary. It definitely pays to keep an eye on our bank accounts just in case there are any suspicious transactions.
This did not only happen to me but it also happened to my son & he had a lot more taken than I did. The bank has given me back the money that was stolen which is good. I have been with the one bank for over 40 years and this is the very first time this has happened. It’s a bit of an inconvenience as my card was cancelled and a new one issued. These thieves are so cunning. I asked the bank how this could happen and he said” they keep punching in numbers till an account pops up and then they direct debit money out of your account”. And I guess as it’s getting closer to Christmas it might happen more. So my advice is check your bank balances on a regular basis.

Watch your bank accounts

More than 15yrs ago I called my bank to query a credit card debit of 99cents with a fee of over $2.50, and was told it was a debit from USA + exchange fee. It certainly was someone testing the waters with bigger things in mind. I never buy anything on line. The bank closed my account immediately and issued me a new account and card. Yes, it pays to check every line in your bank statement.

We have what we call an internet debit card - we use it for shopping and over internet purchases - we only keep a certain amount in that account - my friend does $500 - then if they get in thats all you lose. Top it up when it gets below$200

Reactions: Heathert
We have what we call an internet debit card - we use it for shopping and over internet purchases - we only keep a certain amount in that account - my friend does $500 - then if they get in thats all you lose. Top it up when it gets below$200
I don’t buy on line and the only time I did was when we were in lock down during covid. And I check my bank balances every second day. When I phoned my bank they were so helpful and understanding.

That’s a great idea and I’ve often thought about doing this…..you might just be the push I needed!! Thanks 😊

Reactions: marni
That’s a great idea and I’ve often thought about doing this…..you might just be the push I needed!! Thanks 😊
Been doing this for years , but keep only $5 in it. When we want something on line we transfer only that amount across.

Reactions: marni
We have had 4 deposits of just under 500USD into out joint account. I rang the bank and they wanted $30+ each transfer to return the money. I have notified ACCC but they will take 20 working days to respond. I check the account twice daily but no further action. We have a separate account for online purchases or use PayPal. We got scamed on PayPal some years ago, notified them within 24 hours and eventually got our money back.