Watch out! Woolies says these items will be harder to buy in the coming weeks

As the weather gets hotter and the days get longer, our minds naturally start turning to summer – and all the fun things that come along with it.

We start planning our beach holidays, we make sure our wardrobes are filled with light, airy clothes, and we begin stocking up on all the delicious summer foods we love so much.

But if you're someone who loves nothing more than munching on a bag of chips by the pool or digging into chargrilled corn at a BBQ, you might want to think twice before heading to your local Woolies last minute.

That’s because according to the supermarket giant, frozen vegetables and potato chips are in short supply. (Oh no!)

‘The big issue right now… is in frozen vegetables,’ Woolworths Group Chief Executive Brad Banducci said.

‘In particular, corn and potatoes, with the very poor growing season that we’ve had in Tasmania.’

potatoes-vegetables-erdfrucht-bio-144248.jpg
Abnormally wet conditions have affected the production and harvest of various Australian crops like potatoes. Credit: Pexels/Pixabay

‘I don’t want to overplay anything at this stage, in potato crisps … (but) there are some supply issues on the way through there, so that’s the big one.’

Excessive rainfall on the island hampered potato growth and harvesting efforts, with local producers already concerned about the next crop cycle.

Potato chip manufacturers and restaurants have also felt the downstream effects of the crop shortage. Producers assured customers of the availability of their beloved chips while some restaurants temporarily took potatoes off their menus.

The same conditions are also expected to redirect more corn to use as animal feed over lower-quality crops.

‘So that is causing some challenges in the frozen category and some risk of undersupply in some stores.’ he said.

But wait, there’s more (unfortunately)!

Another summer staple Banducci noted had season delays are cherries, which like corn and potatoes, are also at risk over unusually rainy weather.

Consumers might be shelling out more dollars in the coming days for the fruit because of tight supply and increased demand as Christmas nears, according to market analysts.

As the holidays near, Woolworths has also taken on a ‘cautiously optimistic’ stance amid rising food inflation, which is seen to temper consumer spending.

241edc29c6564c31c94024c91ce54aa6.jpg
Woolworths flagged the shortages of potato chips and other frozen foods this summer over crop supply issues. Credit: news.com.au

‘We continue to see early signs of customer purchasing habits changing but it remains unclear how much of this relates to cost-of-living pressures compared to COVID normalisation,’ he said.

Food prices rose by 7.3 per cent over the last quarter, according to the retailer.

Year-on-year, Woolworths Group’s earnings rose by 1.8 per cent, or $16.36 billion.

Despite the higher revenue, its food-related operations saw lower sales.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has warned that there may be a shortage of some frozen foods and potato chips this summer due to bad weather affecting crops.
  • The company says that sales have been down compared to last year, although they are still up on a three-year average.
  • Inflation is continuing to rise, and Woolworths says that customers' buying habits are starting to change as a result.
‘In our food businesses, sales were below the prior year, as we cycled strong growth driven by Covid-related restrictions in (fiscal year 2021) and (fiscal year 2022).’ Banducci said.

‘Australian food sales decreased by 0.5 per cent and New Zealand food sales were down 2.5 per cent compared to the prior year.’

‘On a three-year compound annual growth basis, sales in Australian food were up 5.3 per cent and up 4.7 per cent in New Zealand food.’

Now, this story might have you rethinking your next grocery purchase.

But don’t worry, we have you covered: check out this list of healthy food options under $75!

What is your reaction to this announcement from Woolies? Will the shortages of these crops change the food on your table?

Tell us your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: YouTube/7News

Sponsored
I have seen in the past two weeks I haven't been able to get frozen peas or chips
I keep frozen chips for my kids to cook up quick.
I went to the shops yesterday and was stunned when I saw their fridge was empty with only potato gems and frozen broad beans , this was coles and woollies wasn't much better.

Potatoes are one of my favourite vegetables

I have seen in the past two weeks I haven't been able to get frozen peas or chips
I keep frozen chips for my kids to cook up quick.
I went to the shops yesterday and was stunned when I saw their fridge was empty with only potato gems and frozen broad beans , this was coles and woollies wasn't much better.

Potatoes are one of my favourite vegetables
Omg!! Potato gems??? I prefer these over chips and we haven’t had any in our stores for months! I’m so jealous!

This week I changed things up a bit. Looking in Aldi I saw frozen Honey Glazed Roast Parsnips and thought they would make a good change from Chips. I was also lucky enough to get a cooked chook from Woolies marked down to $6 so there was my dinner, Chicken and Parsnip chips!! They tasted really lovely and I'm now kicking myself that I only bought one bag!:)

This week I changed things up a bit. Looking in Aldi I saw frozen Honey Glazed Roast Parsnips and thought they would make a good change from Chips. I was also lucky enough to get a cooked chook from Woolies marked down to $6 so there was my dinner, Chicken and Parsnip chips!! They tasted really lovely and I'm now kicking myself that I only bought one bag!:)
That’s a great bargain! Well done.

I went through Woolies this morning, and noticed the freezers are almost empty of frozen vegetables.
I went to a different Woolies during the week, and saw a huge freezer cabinet filled with the Tegels crumbed chicken portions.
It was half price, but all the pieces were stuck together, indicating that this stock had thawed and been refrozen.
Despite there being no stock at my usual Woolies, I did not risk getting any of the refrozen chicken.

Is this the start of another price gouging campaign. Note some of areas are flood free, a d were not affected factories in Queensland and Tasmania are still at 100% capacity you guessed it producing chips and frozen foods as is New Zealand. So what does that say.

Reactions: SandyM and Ricci
As the weather gets hotter and the days get longer, our minds naturally start turning to summer – and all the fun things that come along with it.

We start planning our beach holidays, we make sure our wardrobes are filled with light, airy clothes, and we begin stocking up on all the delicious summer foods we love so much.

But if you're someone who loves nothing more than munching on a bag of chips by the pool or digging into chargrilled corn at a BBQ, you might want to think twice before heading to your local Woolies last minute.

That’s because according to the supermarket giant, frozen vegetables and potato chips are in short supply. (Oh no!)

‘The big issue right now… is in frozen vegetables,’ Woolworths Group Chief Executive Brad Banducci said.

‘In particular, corn and potatoes, with the very poor growing season that we’ve had in Tasmania.’

View attachment 8412
Abnormally wet conditions have affected the production and harvest of various Australian crops like potatoes. Credit: Pexels/Pixabay

‘I don’t want to overplay anything at this stage, in potato crisps … (but) there are some supply issues on the way through there, so that’s the big one.’

Excessive rainfall on the island hampered potato growth and harvesting efforts, with local producers already concerned about the next crop cycle.

Potato chip manufacturers and restaurants have also felt the downstream effects of the crop shortage. Producers assured customers of the availability of their beloved chips while some restaurants temporarily took potatoes off their menus.

The same conditions are also expected to redirect more corn to use as animal feed over lower-quality crops.

‘So that is causing some challenges in the frozen category and some risk of undersupply in some stores.’ he said.

But wait, there’s more (unfortunately)!

Another summer staple Banducci noted had season delays are cherries, which like corn and potatoes, are also at risk over unusually rainy weather.

Consumers might be shelling out more dollars in the coming days for the fruit because of tight supply and increased demand as Christmas nears, according to market analysts.

As the holidays near, Woolworths has also taken on a ‘cautiously optimistic’ stance amid rising food inflation, which is seen to temper consumer spending.

View attachment 8411
Woolworths flagged the shortages of potato chips and other frozen foods this summer over crop supply issues. Credit: news.com.au

‘We continue to see early signs of customer purchasing habits changing but it remains unclear how much of this relates to cost-of-living pressures compared to COVID normalisation,’ he said.

Food prices rose by 7.3 per cent over the last quarter, according to the retailer.

Year-on-year, Woolworths Group’s earnings rose by 1.8 per cent, or $16.36 billion.

Despite the higher revenue, its food-related operations saw lower sales.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has warned that there may be a shortage of some frozen foods and potato chips this summer due to bad weather affecting crops.
  • The company says that sales have been down compared to last year, although they are still up on a three-year average.
  • Inflation is continuing to rise, and Woolworths says that customers' buying habits are starting to change as a result.
‘In our food businesses, sales were below the prior year, as we cycled strong growth driven by Covid-related restrictions in (fiscal year 2021) and (fiscal year 2022).’ Banducci said.

‘Australian food sales decreased by 0.5 per cent and New Zealand food sales were down 2.5 per cent compared to the prior year.’

‘On a three-year compound annual growth basis, sales in Australian food were up 5.3 per cent and up 4.7 per cent in New Zealand food.’

Now, this story might have you rethinking your next grocery purchase.

But don’t worry, we have you covered: check out this list of healthy food options under $75!

What is your reaction to this announcement from Woolies? Will the shortages of these crops change the food on your table?

Tell us your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: YouTube/7News

Providing you have a mandolin or a suitable slicer, Weigh a large potato, then thinly slice the potato and rinse in clean water to remove the starch. Pat dry and deep fry in small batches, when all have been fried off toss in salt or favourite seasoning and you should have very large serving of Saratoga Potatoes or more commonly potato called crisps or chips, a great deal more than the 170gm serve you get in the bag. It is important that you remove the starch as it will darken the chips and keep it soft.

Reactions: Ricci