Watch out: This little-known rule caught a traveller by surprise and almost cost her a whopping $2,000

If you've travelled abroad before, chances are you've experienced the confusion that comes with trying to understand customs regulations on your way back into Australia. It can be a daunting task, but don't worry - you're not alone in feeling overwhelmed by the process. We've all been there at some point or another.

Amidst the still-ongoing threat of COVID-19, navigating customs and quarantine regulations can be a daunting task, with a plethora of conflicting information and seemingly endless rules and restrictions.

Several questions arise, such as: What is permitted and what is prohibited? What can be brought into the country, and what must be left behind? And how much of each item is allowed? It can be a maze of confusion and uncertainty!

Such was the experience of Traci Chen, who, upon returning from a mother-and-daughter holiday trip in Dubai late last December, was subjected to the wrath of a strict customs agent.

Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 12.34.26 PM.png
An Aussie traveller revealed how a little-known customs rule nearly cost her $2,000 at Brisbane Airport. Credit: Pexels/Vlada Karpovich.

In accordance with Australian law, passengers arriving in Australia are obligated to accurately identify themselves and furnish specific information through the completion of an Incoming Passenger Card (IPC).

Passengers entering Australia are required to accurately provide the following information on both sides of the IPC:
  • family/surname, given names and passport number
  • flight number or name of ship
  • intended address in Australia
  • if they intend to live in Australia for the next 12 months
  • declarations relating to customs and quarantine
They are also required to declare which items are being brought into the country. For information on what can be carried into and out of Australia as well as what must be declared, please refer to the 'Can you bring it in?' section on the Australian Border Force’s website.

Ms Chen declared 'yes' on questions seven and eight – regarding possible plant and animal products – on her passenger form, knowing she was carrying saffron and honey.

However, as her bags were being run through the scanner, she was interrogated over a little-known customs rule, a breach of which carried a penalty of anywhere between $500 to over $2,000.

Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 12.34.14 PM.png
Example of an incoming passenger card (in English). Credit: Australian Border Force.

Ms Chen, who works as a migration lawyer in Melbourne, detailed the story on TikTok, recalling how the officer told her: 'I'm going to give you one last chance to declare to me everything you have brought through because I can see on the scanners what you brought through.'

As Ms Chen and her mother frantically tried to determine the cause of the issue, a sudden realisation dawned upon the latter: a floppy straw hat purchased in Australia could be the culprit.

Upon closer inspection, the customs agent also pointed out that the 'organic' makeup wipes they brought could potentially be classified as organic produce.

Though they were ultimately allowed to pass through customs with the items in tow and no fine was imposed, the experience proved to be a particularly stressful one for Ms Chen's mother, whose proficiency in English is limited as it is her second language.

'The customs lady told me: if you're in doubt, declare everything. But the problem was that she wanted me to be able to identify it,' she said.

'I would happily declare everything in my luggage and let them take a look, but there's clearly no way I could tell them exactly which items they might be concerned about.'

Key Takeaways

• Australian travellers should always declare any plant/animal/organic products they are bringing into the country, as failure to do so could result in a hefty fine.
  • According to a lawyer, these restrictions include certain items, such as floppy straw hats and organic make-up wipes.
  • Customs agents are known to be strict and inflexible with their regulations, and can be intimidating if a traveller fails to declare an item.

Members, if you are travelling overseas and bringing something back, make sure you do your research and read up on the customs laws and regulations before you go through customs, so you don't get caught out like Ms Chen did.

And, if you're unsure, declare it! That's what the customs office is for. You can always check with the agents if something you're bringing in is allowed or not, but concealing items and not declaring them can lead to some hefty fines.

We wish you happy and stress-free travelling, everyone!

Sponsored
If you've travelled abroad before, chances are you've experienced the confusion that comes with trying to understand customs regulations on your way back into Australia. It can be a daunting task, but don't worry - you're not alone in feeling overwhelmed by the process. We've all been there at some point or another.

Amidst the still-ongoing threat of COVID-19, navigating customs and quarantine regulations can be a daunting task, with a plethora of conflicting information and seemingly endless rules and restrictions.

Several questions arise, such as: What is permitted and what is prohibited? What can be brought into the country, and what must be left behind? And how much of each item is allowed? It can be a maze of confusion and uncertainty!

Such was the experience of Traci Chen, who, upon returning from a mother-and-daughter holiday trip in Dubai late last December, was subjected to the wrath of a strict customs agent.

View attachment 11457
An Aussie traveller revealed how a little-known customs rule nearly cost her $2,000 at Brisbane Airport. Credit: Pexels/Vlada Karpovich.

In accordance with Australian law, passengers arriving in Australia are obligated to accurately identify themselves and furnish specific information through the completion of an Incoming Passenger Card (IPC).

Passengers entering Australia are required to accurately provide the following information on both sides of the IPC:
They are also required to declare which items are being brought into the country. For information on what can be carried into and out of Australia as well as what must be declared, please refer to the 'Can you bring it in?' section on the Australian Border Force’s website.

Ms Chen declared 'yes' on questions seven and eight – regarding possible plant and animal products – on her passenger form, knowing she was carrying saffron and honey.

However, as her bags were being run through the scanner, she was interrogated over a little-known customs rule, a breach of which carried a penalty of anywhere between $500 to over $2,000.

View attachment 11458
Example of an incoming passenger card (in English). Credit: Australian Border Force.

Ms Chen, who works as a migration lawyer in Melbourne, detailed the story on TikTok, recalling how the officer told her: 'I'm going to give you one last chance to declare to me everything you have brought through because I can see on the scanners what you brought through.'

As Ms Chen and her mother frantically tried to determine the cause of the issue, a sudden realisation dawned upon the latter: a floppy straw hat purchased in Australia could be the culprit.

Upon closer inspection, the customs agent also pointed out that the 'organic' makeup wipes they brought could potentially be classified as organic produce.

Though they were ultimately allowed to pass through customs with the items in tow and no fine was imposed, the experience proved to be a particularly stressful one for Ms Chen's mother, whose proficiency in English is limited as it is her second language.

'The customs lady told me: if you're in doubt, declare everything. But the problem was that she wanted me to be able to identify it,' she said.

'I would happily declare everything in my luggage and let them take a look, but there's clearly no way I could tell them exactly which items they might be concerned about.'

Key Takeaways

• Australian travellers should always declare any plant/animal/organic products they are bringing into the country, as failure to do so could result in a hefty fine.
  • According to a lawyer, these restrictions include certain items, such as floppy straw hats and organic make-up wipes.
  • Customs agents are known to be strict and inflexible with their regulations, and can be intimidating if a traveller fails to declare an item.

Members, if you are travelling overseas and bringing something back, make sure you do your research and read up on the customs laws and regulations before you go through customs, so you don't get caught out like Ms Chen did.

And, if you're unsure, declare it! That's what the customs office is for. You can always check with the agents if something you're bringing in is allowed or not, but concealing items and not declaring them can lead to some hefty fines.

Protecting our borders is imperative. An official doing their job, great. Also, anyone complaining, ask the question, what are they really complaining about. Obviously, the official saw "red flags". $2000 is minor compared to some countries overseas, 20 years jail or death penalty. Doing the right thing and working with officials and being polite, will get us all through customs quicker.

Yes, our borders need to be protected. My issue is that the passenger was obviously bewildered and had no idea what she had done wrong. The customs official could just have told her what item she was referring to. You see it all time on border security shows. EG “You have too many cigarettes in here and you haven’t declared them.”

Yes, our borders need to be protected. My issue is that the passenger was obviously bewildered and had no idea what she had done wrong. The customs official could just have told her what item she was referring to. You see it all time on border security shows. EG “You have too many cigarettes in here and you haven’t declared them.”
There might be more behind it. Security is Security, an article like this won't divulge the absolute truth.

View attachment 11457

View attachment 11458

Key Takeaways

I'm in and out of the country usually once a year , and have encountered different attitudes and in different airports , I won't mention the bad ones in case they also read this and make me a target again . Some are very helpful and friendly and some are just plain rude and ignorant, using their power to give you a hard time , and I have learned which ones are real bad and those that are nice . The bad ones must go home thoroughly exhausted , don't they realise they use more energy being nasty than being pleasant . Most of us try to do the right thing and usually never bring in anything that would harm our resources and farmers crops or half a suitcase full of cigarettes like they seem to show us over and over , and she ( Ms Customs lady ) is a real angry ant and a tourist will get the wrong impression before they have even stepped out of the terminal ! What have I done comming to this country ? Hope they are not all like her . Some people don't realise that wheather they are being a tourist themselves or going about whatever they are doing in their own city , they are representing Australia and what impression they get is set by all of us . Oz is not my birth country , but when I am out and about and I hear an accent , I will always help if asked as local knowledge is not in the brochures . The 20 to 30 year olds are the most enbarrassing when I return home to my birth country , so when I hear an Aussie accent , I steer clear of them . The older ones I will go out of my way to help , to the point they don't believe we are naturally that kind to strangers .
Just a little note from an experienced one travelling .the Ms Customs lady must be the same one Ms Chen ran into as is on the commercials for the TV show !

I too watch the Border Security shows and one thing that sticks out is that always, passengers who have infringed are told that if they had declared their food or other organic stuff, no matter what it was, that no fine would have been incurred. Prohibited stuff confiscated, Yes, but no fine. So I think that perhaps there is a bit more to this story that we don’t know.

There's nothing complicated about what you can bring in if you don't know you can get that information before you leave and I'm glad we have strong customs in this country

I'm in and out of the country usually once a year , and have encountered different attitudes and in different airports , I won't mention the bad ones in case they also read this and make me a target again . Some are very helpful and friendly and some are just plain rude and ignorant, using their power to give you a hard time , and I have learned which ones are real bad and those that are nice . The bad ones must go home thoroughly exhausted , don't they realise they use more energy being nasty than being pleasant . Most of us try to do the right thing and usually never bring in anything that would harm our resources and farmers crops or half a suitcase full of cigarettes like they seem to show us over and over , and she ( Ms Customs lady ) is a real angry ant and a tourist will get the wrong impression before they have even stepped out of the terminal ! What have I done comming to this country ? Hope they are not all like her . Some people don't realise that wheather they are being a tourist themselves or going about whatever they are doing in their own city , they are representing Australia and what impression they get is set by all of us . Oz is not my birth country , but when I am out and about and I hear an accent , I will always help if asked as local knowledge is not in the brochures . The 20 to 30 year olds are the most enbarrassing when I return home to my birth country , so when I hear an Aussie accent , I steer clear of them . The older ones I will go out of my way to help , to the point they don't believe we are naturally that kind to strangers .
Just a little note from an experienced one travelling .the Ms Customs lady must be the same one Ms Chen ran into as is on the commercials for the TV show !
If you have a rude customs person for no reason you can report them is with any employee no body should accept abuse either a customer or an employee

This reminds me of a ( for me!) very stressful situation coming back from Germany. I declared everything I thought I had to, but was told in no uncertain terms that I had "something organic" in my suitcase. I wasnt aware of anything and told the officer so. Offered to open my suitcase so that they could check. The culprit: Easter decorations in the form of eggs! They were made of plastic and glass, but obviously the form was egglike. Not orgqnic, though... but they were attached to wooden sticks to be put into earth/flower pots etc.... who would have thought....

After watching programes like "Border Patrol", quite honestly, I think our deterrents aren't severe enough.