Watch out! Scammers are pretending to be your loved-ones in need - Here’s everything you need to know

Most of us have been caught out by a scammer at some point in our lives, whether it’s a fake email, an unexpected phone call, or an offer that just seems a little too good to be true.

While the average person can usually spot a fraudulent message from a mile away, thanks to their questionable grammar and spelling, even the most vigilant among us can be duped by cunning scammers. These digital bandits have access to cutting-edge technology that allows them to hack and manipulate text messages, making them appear as if they're coming from a loved one or trusted acquaintance.

It's a sobering reminder that no one is completely immune to the machinations of these nefarious cybercriminals.

One Australian mum narrowly avoided falling for such a scam after she received an alarming message from a fraudster posing as her child.

Sharing on Facebook, the distressed mum warned other Aussie parents after she was sent a seemingly convincing text message from the scammers pretending to be her child, who was allegedly stuck at Woolies with the wrong bank card.

d531358a1b9e87f2922035d970e1b25e

One mum shared her experience after she received a text from a scammer who pretended to be her daughter who was stuck in Woolworths with no money. Credit: Facebook.

The text, which was written to appear as if it was sent by her 'daughter', read: ‘I’m at Woolworths and brought the wrong card with me. Can you please send me 200, I will pay you back when I get home.’

Fortunately, the mum knew it was a scam as she was at home at that time with her daughter; but wanted to sound the alarm as she noted that other people could easily be fooled by the attack.

She warned others to 'beware' of similar messages and urged them to never divulge their personal or financial information to anyone contacting them unsolicited.

‘Beware! You know the saying, “You can’t be in two places at once”,’ the mum wrote.

‘My daughter can prove that wrong, she is physically in the same house as me when I received the below text. Isn’t she clever.’

While many users were horrified by what they read, others said they too had been targeted with similar scams.

One person joked that their 19-year-old daughter suddenly found out about the existence of their ‘child’ thanks to one of these texts.

Another mum shared: ‘I had one of these and when I got it, my only child who is seven was sitting next to me on the couch.'

'My daughter got a message yesterday. The usual “Hey Mum, here’s my new number, blah, blah”. She cracked up, she’s 24 and wondered when she’d become a Mum. I would be concerned that people fall for this cr*p…’ one person recalled.

A third chimed in: 'I received a message a couple of weeks ago saying “send me money Mum, my car’s broken down and I need money for the tow truck”.'

Others made light of the situation, pointing out that the woman's daughter may have been a 'shapeshifter' for managing to be in two different places at once.

‘Your daughter is pretty clever being in two places at once. Clearly, the scammers are not as bright, considering you need an account name to transfer money to a bank account!’ one user said.

If you ever receive an unexpected text message from someone you know, experts suggest keeping the following tips in mind:

• If your family member is sending you a text, calling out of the blue, or messaging through social media, always double-check it’s definitely them. If you’re unsure, don’t transfer any money. A simple voice call should be enough to verify that the request is legitimate.
• Keep an eye out for red flags - does your ‘loved one’ sound out of character? Are they making unusual requests?
• Don’t send money to an account with a name you’re unfamiliar with.
• Note the number the message came from and cross-check it with your records
• Never give out your bank details or personal information.

Additionally, it’s important to be aware of the different mechanisms available for reporting and preventing fraud. Taking the right action is key to protecting yourself and other Aussies from being taken advantage of by these criminals.

If you believe you or someone you know has been the victim of a scam, it’s important to act as soon as possible. Most scams in Australia can be reported to the Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC). The ACSC works with other organisations like the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) and Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC) to share intelligence and tackle cyber threats.

Fraud can also be reported to your local police station which can help law enforcement track these criminals down and provide vital evidence for potential criminal prosecution.

There are also several initiatives aimed at helping Australians better protect themselves from this kind of crime. The Privacy Commissioner recommends developing a ‘cyber safety plan’ which provides an easy-to-follow set of steps that can help people stay safe when using the internet. They also suggest creating strong passwords and understanding how to spot scams and fraudulent activity before they occur.

Ultimately, the key to preventing fraud is to practise online safety, to be aware of the different types of scams that exist, and to be vigilant when sharing and using information online.

Key Takeaways

• Scammers have recently been posing as people's children stuck at Woolworths with no money, asking people to transfer them money.
  • The woman whose daughter was targeted was at home with her daughter at the time of the transaction and knew it was a scam.
  • Many social media users responded and said they had also received similar messages, some even pretending their children had children of their own.
  • Some people joked that the woman's daughter must be a shapeshifter if she was able to be in two places at once.

There you have it, folks! What are your thoughts on this story? Do you know anyone who has been a victim of a scam like this? Tell us what you think in the comments below, and remember to check out our free Cyber Safety eBook here!

Sponsored
I had one of these messages last week. Unfortunately (or fortunately in this instance) my daughter and I are estranged and I would be the last person she would willingly message or call so I immediately knew it was a scam. I was tempted to string them along asking if the $200 was enough and did she need more but in the end I just deleted it. ;)

I've had a few of these messages and when I ask which child they reply of course your eldest or of course your favourite. I then reply with oh and a false name and ok I will transfer you now plus extra.

Usually these messages come via what's app I then report it which then automatically blocks the number.

My kids never ask for money and if this situation arises they would call not message , they have more respect

A frien git caught. She panicked as the message was urgent and sent the money. I check everything on scam watch. I see NAB when you log in giving a scam warning.

Reactions: Ricci
Had one of these last week from my son who had supposedly lost his phone and sent me a new number so we wouldn't miss our regular chats.
I'm not sure how this scam was going to work, but my son hates talking on the phone and I always chat with my daughter in law so knew it wasn't him
Really wish these people would get a life.

Most of us have been caught out by a scammer at some point in our lives, whether it’s a fake email, an unexpected phone call, or an offer that just seems a little too good to be true.

While the average person can usually spot a fraudulent message from a mile away, thanks to their questionable grammar and spelling, even the most vigilant among us can be duped by cunning scammers. These digital bandits have access to cutting-edge technology that allows them to hack and manipulate text messages, making them appear as if they're coming from a loved one or trusted acquaintance.

It's a sobering reminder that no one is completely immune to the machinations of these nefarious cybercriminals.

One Australian mum narrowly avoided falling for such a scam after she received an alarming message from a fraudster posing as her child.

Sharing on Facebook, the distressed mum warned other Aussie parents after she was sent a seemingly convincing text message from the scammers pretending to be her child, who was allegedly stuck at Woolies with the wrong bank card.

One mum shared her experience after she received a text from a scammer who pretended to be her daughter who was stuck in Woolworths with no money. Credit: Facebook.

The text, which was written to appear as if it was sent by her 'daughter', read: ‘I’m at Woolworths and brought the wrong card with me. Can you please send me 200, I will pay you back when I get home.’

Fortunately, the mum knew it was a scam as she was at home at that time with her daughter; but wanted to sound the alarm as she noted that other people could easily be fooled by the attack.

She warned others to 'beware' of similar messages and urged them to never divulge their personal or financial information to anyone contacting them unsolicited.

‘Beware! You know the saying, “You can’t be in two places at once”,’ the mum wrote.

‘My daughter can prove that wrong, she is physically in the same house as me when I received the below text. Isn’t she clever.’

While many users were horrified by what they read, others said they too had been targeted with similar scams.

One person joked that their 19-year-old daughter suddenly found out about the existence of their ‘child’ thanks to one of these texts.

Another mum shared: ‘I had one of these and when I got it, my only child who is seven was sitting next to me on the couch.'

'My daughter got a message yesterday. The usual “Hey Mum, here’s my new number, blah, blah”. She cracked up, she’s 24 and wondered when she’d become a Mum. I would be concerned that people fall for this cr*p…’ one person recalled.

A third chimed in: 'I received a message a couple of weeks ago saying “send me money Mum, my car’s broken down and I need money for the tow truck”.'

Others made light of the situation, pointing out that the woman's daughter may have been a 'shapeshifter' for managing to be in two different places at once.

‘Your daughter is pretty clever being in two places at once. Clearly, the scammers are not as bright, considering you need an account name to transfer money to a bank account!’ one user said.

If you ever receive an unexpected text message from someone you know, experts suggest keeping the following tips in mind:

• If your family member is sending you a text, calling out of the blue, or messaging through social media, always double-check it’s definitely them. If you’re unsure, don’t transfer any money. A simple voice call should be enough to verify that the request is legitimate.
• Keep an eye out for red flags - does your ‘loved one’ sound out of character? Are they making unusual requests?

Additionally, it’s important to be aware of the different mechanisms available for reporting and preventing fraud. Taking the right action is key to protecting yourself and other Aussies from being taken advantage of by these criminals.

If you believe you or someone you know has been the victim of a scam, it’s important to act as soon as possible. Most scams in Australia can be reported to the Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC). The ACSC works with other organisations like the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) and Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC) to share intelligence and tackle cyber threats.

Fraud can also be reported to your local police station which can help law enforcement track these criminals down and provide vital evidence for potential criminal prosecution.

There are also several initiatives aimed at helping Australians better protect themselves from this kind of crime. The Privacy Commissioner recommends developing a ‘cyber safety plan’ which provides an easy-to-follow set of steps that can help people stay safe when using the internet. They also suggest creating strong passwords and understanding how to spot scams and fraudulent activity before they occur.

Ultimately, the key to preventing fraud is to practise online safety, to be aware of the different types of scams that exist, and to be vigilant when sharing and using information online.

Key Takeaways

• Scammers have recently been posing as people's children stuck at Woolworths with no money, asking people to transfer them money.
  • The woman whose daughter was targeted was at home with her daughter at the time of the transaction and knew it was a scam.
  • Many social media users responded and said they had also received similar messages, some even pretending their children had children of their own.
  • Some people joked that the woman's daughter must be a shapeshifter if she was able to be in two places at once.

There you have it, folks! What are your thoughts on this story? Do you know anyone who has been a victim of a scam like this? Tell us what you think in the comments below, and remember to check out our free Cyber Safety eBook here!

I got a letter years ago while still working from a law firm, that a long lost relative of mine with my surname had passed away in Spain and that I was the only known relative and therefore the only claimant to a large estate. If I sent US$2000 to cover legal costs and my banking details the lawyers would deposit the money into my account worth over US$5 million. do not delay otherwise the Government would seize all the money. Sound familiar? In my case, my surname is actually my grandfather’s first name changed by deedpoll, so no relatives before him by that surname, he had 12 children so I had 40+ first cousins let alone 2nd and 3rd cousins so I definitely am not the only relative! You gotta love these scammers, send out 10,000 similar letters, if you get one taker, you have made your money for the day!

Key Takeaways

I got a message yesterday which said that she is using her friend’s phone and to add her in what’sapp. I asked the sender who she is and what happened to her phone and I also asked my daughter if she sent me a message. The sender never responded and my daughter said she didn’t send an sms.

Key Takeaways

I got one of those recently. My daughter lives overseas & calls me by a nickname. She also knows that mum is not spelt mumm. Nice try but failed

Reactions: Leanne D and Ricci

Key Takeaways

This happened to our grandaughter and her mum. Luckily she got a bit suspicious and didn’t follow through, but, it was very convincing.

My daughter in law got one that said “this is your mother in law and this is my new number, please add it to your phone”. She calls me by my first name so was sure it wasn’t me, I would never call myself mother in law to her - now and then we call each other MIL and DIL but only joking when together. My partner got one from his mum recently - he’s 64 and she died in March, plus she only knew how to answer a mobile, not message on it. Bastads !!!

I nearly fell for this one the message came and said
Hi Mum I'm texting off a mates phone I've dropped mine and their phones about to die can you message my new number on WhatsApp 0485860479 it is urgent x
So I put the number on WhatsApp and messaged to ask my 'daughter' if this was her new number and the reply came back yes and lots more conversation and eventually asked if I could pay a bill as her bank account was frozen. I was still taken in by all this as my daughter is away on holiday and it all seemed at the time correct. I was also out organising a coffee morning and my friend next to me even offered to help pay the bill!!! They wanted nearly $8000 and when I said I hadn't got that amount they said pay what you can. Eventually my brain told me to ask if this was a scam and can you tell me where you are born? No reply....I thought at the time my daughter would think I was being stupid asking that question but so glad I did.
When I got home I googled it and found the scam on line. When I told my daughter she was surprised I didn't know about the scam!
After chatting to friends about it 2 actually paid them money. and then my husband and my friend got the same text later in the day.

• Angry
Reactions: Bunyip57 and Ricci

Key Takeaways

So did she locate which bank it was by the BSB, and then ask them to investigate the a/c number?

I nearly fell for this one the message came and said
Hi Mum I'm texting off a mates phone I've dropped mine and their phones about to die can you message my new number on WhatsApp 0485860479 it is urgent x
So I put the number on WhatsApp and messaged to ask my 'daughter' if this was her new number and the reply came back yes and lots more conversation and eventually asked if I could pay a bill as her bank account was frozen. I was still taken in by all this as my daughter is away on holiday and it all seemed at the time correct. I was also out organising a coffee morning and my friend next to me even offered to help pay the bill!!! They wanted nearly $8000 and when I said I hadn't got that amount they said pay what you can. Eventually my brain told me to ask if this was a scam and can you tell me where you are born? No reply....I thought at the time my daughter would think I was being stupid asking that question but so glad I did.
When I got home I googled it and found the scam on line. When I told my daughter she was surprised I didn't know about the scam!
After chatting to friends about it 2 actually paid them money. and then my husband and my friend got the same text later in the day.
My step daughter had a friend visiting from England recently and her mum got a message like this asking for £1000 coz her account was frozen and there was a problem with her phone. If she hadn’t been in australia at the time it would have seem suss. The daughter had recently lent her parents £5000 while they were waiting for an investment to mature so her mum said actually we will send you the £5000 you lent us. So they lost of heap more than they should have !!!

We’ve decided if we have family travelling or we are travelling that we will have a code word or phrase if ever contact needs to be made from someone else’s phone or email. Not sure why we haven’t thought of this before

Not only have I had several "Hey Mum" scams (the first was when my daughter was seriously ill in hospital so knew it wasn't her!), I have had at least four toll scams. I live in WA where we don't have toll roads!! Ho hum.

I would get a red flag if a text came from my daughter asking me for money!!!!Its usually the other way round lol

My step daughter had a friend visiting from England recently and her mum got a message like this asking for £1000 coz her account was frozen and there was a problem with her phone. If she hadn’t been in australia at the time it would have seem suss. The daughter had recently lent her parents £5000 while they were waiting for an investment to mature so her mum said actually we will send you the £5000 you lent us. So they lost of heap more than they should have !!!
Hope they got that money back, you cant do the right thing these days, so sad.

I had one of these messages last week. Unfortunately (or fortunately in this instance) my daughter and I are estranged and I would be the last person she would willingly message or call so I immediately knew it was a scam. I was tempted to string them along asking if the $200 was enough and did she need more but in the end I just deleted it. ;)
Im estranged from my eldest daughter so would know too, so as you say fortunate and also unfortunate.