Watch out, drivers! This mistake could cost you $1,036

Navigating the roads can be a tricky affair, and for our members who are still enjoying the freedom of driving, it's crucial to stay updated on road rules and the consequences of not adhering to them.

A recent incident in Singleton, NSW, serves as a stark reminder of how a basic mistake can lead to a hefty fine and even a licence suspension.

A motorbike rider, still on his learner's licence, was caught by highway patrol officers speeding at a dangerous 41 km/h over the limit. The rider was travelling at 121 km/h in an 80 km/h zone, a significant breach of road safety laws.

As a result, he was slapped with a $1,036 fine and a three-month licence suspension. This incident has sparked conversations among Australians, with many stressing the importance of road safety and others humorously noting that the rider hadn't 'got off to a very good start' in his driving career.

1715194880815.png
The new driver hasn't 'got off to a very good start' after being pulled over by police. Image source: Facebook.

Speeding remains a widespread issue among Aussie drivers, with research from motor insurance company AAMI revealing that nearly half admit to exceeding speed limits. This is concerning, especially considering that in NSW alone, 41 per cent of road fatalities are linked to speeding, and 24 per cent of accidents result in serious injuries.

The year 2023 has been marked as the deadliest on Australian roads in the last five years, according to the Bureau of Infrastructure and Transport Research.

For our senior members, it's essential to be mindful of the speedometer and adhere to speed limits. Not only does this help avoid hefty fines and the inconvenience of licence suspensions, but it also contributes to the safety of all road users.

Speeding is not just a youthful folly; it's a serious offence with grave consequences.

Moreover, as we age, our reaction times may slow down, making it even more critical to drive at safe speeds to allow ample time to respond to unexpected hazards. It's also worth noting that penalties for traffic offences can be more severe for learner and provisional drivers, as seen in the Singleton incident.

In related news, for lead-footed drivers in one state, there's an imminent sting in the tail.

Starting July 1, Queensland will enforce an uptick of more than four per cent in penalties for traffic infringements.

This decision to raise the stakes came with a stern reminder from Queensland Treasurer Cameron Dick, 'We need to ensure the deterrent effect of penalties and fines remains current, and people who break the law do not get a free ride.'

You can read more about this here.

Key Takeaways

• A motorbike rider was fined $1,036 for exceeding the speed limit by 41 km/h on an NSW highway.
  • He was also handed a three-month licence suspension as a learner driver.
  • NSW Police have highlighted the incident, sparking comments from Aussies on road safety attitudes.
  • Research shows that almost half of Australian drivers admit to speeding, with speeding being a significant factor in road fatalities and injuries in NSW.
Members, we encourage you to share your thoughts and experiences on this topic. Have you noticed a change in your driving habits as you've grown older? Do you feel that the penalties for speeding are adequate in promoting road safety? Let's discuss it!

Remember, driving is a privilege that comes with responsibilities. By avoiding simple blunders like speeding, we can ensure that privilege isn't taken away and that our roads remain safe for all to use. Stay vigilant, stay safe, and keep those fines at bay!

Sponsored
I’ve noticed that in some shopping car parks, you take your life in your hands! Elderly people have reversed their car in front of me without even looking backwards or checking the mirror. I am a senior but cannot comprehend how they stay alive or how pedestrians are not killed! This has happened numerous times in a local shopping centre.

Firstly, I do not condone speeding. Your article states, '41 per cent of road fatalities are linked to speeding'. This means 59% of fatalities are not speed related! Think about it. Similarly, 20% of road fatalities are related to Drink driving. (https://www.budgetdirect.com.au/car-insurance/research/drink-driving-statistics.html). This means 80% are due to sober drivers! Also think about that.
Secondly, you state in your article, 'For our senior members, it's essential to be mindful of the speedometer and adhere to speed limits.' Don't just single out the senior drivers. I have found the worst drivers for speeding are those on P1 & P2 plates. The most arrogant drivers are P2 male drivers.
In my 51 year driving career, I have paid a lot of speeding fines and a few 'DUI' offences. Now, I do not speed or knowingly break the road rules. The deterrent is the fact that if I am detected breaking the road rules, the Police will firstly give a breath test and then book me for the infringement. If I fail the breath test, it a double whammy for them. Both will mean I will have to open my wallet and give the Government more of my hard earned money. I don't like that idea. My advice is simple. Don't break the road rules. It's your money!

Money talks .... but does it really?
Some years ago, I watched a documentary based in one state in America that was about the power of paying, or losing the power permanently.
Where the offence was serious, instead of just a fine, they also confiscated the vehicle and held it until the fine/s were paid in full. Further to that, the owners were made to pay the storage costs for the vehicle concerned. So, not only were the drivers/riders affected, if the owner was mummy or daddy, they were the ones hit with the cost of storage.
If the fines and storage were not paid, then after a period of time, the vehicles went in the crusher.
There was no mercy.
It was indeed very effective in lowering the numbers of infringements. So, is it enough just to fine someone? Maybe not. Perhaps the threat of losing, not only the licence, but also the vehicle to a crusher is a huge deterrent.
I don't take any risks. I just drive my car with a commitment to abiding by road rules. No naughty stuff = no fines.

I’ve noticed that in some shopping car parks, you take your life in your hands! Elderly people have reversed their car in front of me without even looking backwards or checking the mirror. I am a senior but cannot comprehend how they stay alive or how pedestrians are not killed! This has happened numerous times in a local shopping centre.
I wonder how many younger drivers have done the same thing but you fail to count them as dangerous to yourself.

Reactions: Marj53
Firstly, I do not condone speeding. Your article states, '41 per cent of road fatalities are linked to speeding'. This means 59% of fatalities are not speed related! Think about it. Similarly, 20% of road fatalities are related to Drink driving. (https://www.budgetdirect.com.au/car-insurance/research/drink-driving-statistics.html). This means 80% are due to sober drivers! Also think about that.
Secondly, you state in your article, 'For our senior members, it's essential to be mindful of the speedometer and adhere to speed limits.' Don't just single out the senior drivers. I have found the worst drivers for speeding are those on P1 & P2 plates. The most arrogant drivers are P2 male drivers.
In my 51 year driving career, I have paid a lot of speeding fines and a few 'DUI' offences. Now, I do not speed or knowingly break the road rules. The deterrent is the fact that if I am detected breaking the road rules, the Police will firstly give a breath test and then book me for the infringement. If I fail the breath test, it a double whammy for them. Both will mean I will have to open my wallet and give the Government more of my hard earned money. I don't like that idea. My advice is simple. Don't break the road rules. It's your money!
"The most arrogant drivers are P2 male drivers."

Which is why young males when young take part in defending our country, sorry, fight our tribal wars, which is basically pretty damn stupid but someone has to protect us from young men defending their country and church and innocent children and women; God Save the King, the Kaiser, the Shah, the Tsar and the President and assorted priests of assorted religions that also engage in tribal fighting. I would have thought that the young male would be accorded accordingly and freely the privilege and thrill of being stupid enough to ride his P-plated motorcycle at 141kph in an 80kph zone! Goodnessgraciousme, why not.........???

If all young arrogant males were not stupid and arrogant and refused to defend King et alia and Country our jails would be full in wartime! At around 28 young males, including myself, begin to learn they are mortal but not until then. It's biological, which you would learn if you ever live in the bush where tribal fighting is a common activity; we are no better as a"tribe", except our elderly generally die in greater comfort and at an age older than 45 years old.