Wash Your Cheese Before Eating It? Here's the Surprising Reason Health Experts Insist You Should!

In the ever-evolving world of food safety and nutrition, a new piece of advice has been making waves among health-conscious individuals and has even caught the attention of our members here at the Seniors Discount Club. A small, yet vocal group of health experts are advocating for a practice that might seem a bit unusual at first blush: washing your cheese before you eat it, particularly when it comes to pre-shredded varieties.

This recommendation has emerged from concerns about the additives found in many commercially available shredded cheeses. These additives, which include anticaking agents like powdered cellulose and preservatives such as natamycin, are used to maintain the cheese's texture and extend its shelf life. While the FDA and other regulatory bodies have deemed these substances safe for consumption, some health experts and consumers are questioning their place in our diets.

mike-houser-q3H7qKL5a7M-unsplash.jpg
Should you wash your cheese before eating it? Credit: Unsplash

The debate gained traction on social media platforms like TikTok, where users have posted videos showing murky water left after washing shredded cheese, suggesting that this residue is indicative of unwanted additives. One user, Amaya Stowers, rinsed her cheese claiming it contained 'wood chips,' while another, Shay Click, demonstrated that washed cheese melted more readily on a tortilla compared to its unwashed counterpart.

But what exactly are these additives, and should we be concerned? Powdered cellulose, often derived from sources like sawdust or cotton lint, is a form of insoluble fiber. While it may sound unappetizing, it's a common ingredient in processed foods and is considered safe by health authorities. It's also worth noting that cellulose is naturally present in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, contributing to dietary fiber intake.

Natamycin, on the other hand, is a preservative used to prevent mold growth. Despite some retailers like Whole Foods banning it from their products, both the FDA and the World Health Organization have classified it as safe for consumption.

The argument for washing cheese centers around the idea that removing these additives could potentially benefit one's health. However, many experts, including registered dietitian Jen Messer and the TikTok user known as foodsciencebabe, a chemical engineer, argue that the additives pose minimal risk and that the human body cannot even digest cellulose, meaning it simply passes through the digestive system.

Furthermore, the notion that washing cheese could improve its healthfulness is met with skepticism by some nutritionists who point out that it may be an unnecessary step that contributes to unfounded food fears. The additives in question are used in very small amounts and are unlikely to cause harm unless consumed in large quantities.

Despite the controversy, the practice of washing food is not without merit. The FDA recommends rinsing fruits and vegetables to remove dirt and bacteria, and washing rice can improve its texture and reduce excess starch. However, when it comes to cheese, the benefits of washing are less clear.

For our senior members who are particularly vigilant about their health and what they consume, the idea of washing cheese might be appealing. It's a personal choice that can be made based on individual dietary preferences and concerns. If you do choose to wash your cheese, it's a simple process: just rinse the shredded cheese under cold water and drain it thoroughly before use.

Key Takeaways
  • Some health experts are urging people to wash shredded cheese to remove potentially harmful additives.
  • The controversy stems from videos on social media showing a murky residue left behind after washing cheese, and debates over the presence of additives like powdered cellulose and natamycin in pre-shredded cheese.
  • While some claim that these additives may have unknown effects on human health, others, including food scientists and registered dietitians, assert that they are safe and that the risk is minimal.
  • The debate over whether to wash cheese highlights broader conversations about food safety and the presence of preservatives and anticaking agents in processed foods.

At the end of the day, whether or not to wash your cheese is a decision that comes down to personal preference. What's most important is enjoying your food and feeling confident in the choices you make for your health. We'd love to hear from you, our savvy seniors, on this topic. Have you tried washing your cheese, or do you think it's an unnecessary step? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
Blimey charlie, here we are hit again with another health issue. Maybe we had all better stop eating cheese so we don't do ourselves any more harm than what we are doing now. I think that I, like many other like minded people will still just keep on nibbling away at our favourite brand. I don't think that I'll be washing cheese at any time in the future.

I can't undeestand how washing it could actually remove such additives anyway?
How many other foods contain harmful ingredients that we get nosay in & we all overlook!

I can't undeestand how washing it could actually remove such additives anyway?
How many other foods contain harmful ingredients that we get nosay in & we all overlook!
Because pre-shredded cheese is coated in cellulose to stop it from sticking to itself in the packet you could wash this coating off. Personally, I much prefer to grate my own and therefore there is no need to rinse anything. On the very rare occasions I have had to use pre-shredded cheese I have noticed it doesn't melt properly so there is some truth in the coating changing the cheese's ability to melt.

Without the coating the grated cheese goes mouldy very quickly. I'll stick with the coated one.
Just grate your own … the shredded goes mouldy quickly even with the coating. The coating changes the melting ability and the taste of the cheese too much.

Reactions: Tervueren