Warning: Toxic spinach poisons nine Australians

Health authorities are warning that a certain batch of Riviera Farms-branded baby spinach should not be eaten, as the product is ‘not safe to consume’.

A number of people across Sydney have developed poisoning symptoms after eating the spinach, which may contain a contaminant according to NSW Health.

‘To date, NSW Health has identified nine people from four separate and unrelated households across Sydney who have required medical attention after developing poisoning soon after eating the product,’ they said.

Authorities advise any spinach sold through Costco with an expiry date of December 16, 2022, should be thrown out.

In a statement, Riviera Farms said one-kilo tubs of its baby spinach were possibly ‘contaminated with a weed which can have health consequences if consumed’.

pexels-photo-6824475.jpg
Aussies who bought Riviera Farms’ baby spinach with a best-before date of December 16 are advised to throw the product away. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Eva Bronzini

‘As soon as we were advised of the possible weed contamination from one of our customers, we immediately advised them to remove our impacted spinach from their shelves, and contacted state health and federal food authorities,’ they said.

Costco has yet to post a notice on its website as of writing.

‘There is no suggestion, and to our knowledge no possibility, that any other products have been impacted by this weed.’ they continued.

‘Riviera Farms has been in the business of providing fresh food since the 1880s, and we are saddened to confirm that we have likely had our first-ever significant contamination incident.’

It is unclear how widely Riviera Farms’ baby spinach is distributed.

NSW Health said it was working with authorities to investigate the matter further.

20180309_071232(2).jpg
Riviera Farms produces 7000 tonnes of produce yearly according to its website. Credit: Riviera Farms

Symptoms to watch out for include hallucinations, delirium, confusion, blurred vision, dry mouth and skin, and fever.

It is recommended that those concerned about the spinach call NSW’s Poison Information Centre at 13 11 26. In case of emergencies, please dial 000.

We know food safety is of the utmost importance, and we want our readers to stay as safe as possible.

Please share this news with your loved ones to keep them informed and prevent untoward incidents!

Sponsored
Health authorities are warning that a certain batch of Riviera Farms-branded baby spinach should not be eaten, as the product is ‘not safe to consume’.

A number of people across Sydney have developed poisoning symptoms after eating the spinach, which may contain a contaminant according to NSW Health.

‘To date, NSW Health has identified nine people from four separate and unrelated households across Sydney who have required medical attention after developing poisoning soon after eating the product,’ they said.

Authorities advise any spinach sold through Costco with an expiry date of December 16, 2022, should be thrown out.

In a statement, Riviera Farms said one-kilo tubs of its baby spinach was possibly ‘contaminated with a weed which can have health consequences if consumed’.

View attachment 10576
Aussies who bought Riviera Farms’ baby spinach with a best-before date of December 16 are advised to throw the product away. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Eva Bronzini

‘As soon as we were advised of the possible weed contamination from one of our customers, we immediately advised them to remove our impacted spinach from their shelves, and contacted state health and federal food authorities,’ they said.

Costco has yet to post a notice on its website as of writing.

‘There is no suggestion, and to our knowledge no possibility, that any other products have been impacted by this weed.’ they continued.

‘Riviera Farms has been in the business of providing fresh food since the 1880s, and we are saddened to confirm that we have likely had our first-ever significant contamination incident.’

It is unclear how widely Riviera Farms’ baby spinach is distributed.

NSW Health said it was working with authorities to investigate the matter further.

View attachment 10577
Riviera Farms produces 7000 tonnes of produce yearly according to its website. Credit: Riviera Farms

Symptoms to watch out for include hallucinations, delirium, confusion, blurred vision, dry mouth and skin, and fever.

It is recommended that those concerned about the spinach call NSW’s Poison Information Centre at 13 11 26. In case of emergencies, please dial 000.

We know food safety is of the utmost importance, and we want our readers to stay as safe as possible.

Please share this news with your loved ones to keep them informed and prevent untoward incidents!
Oh my goidness

Oh my goidness
Oh my goodness!
Hope they do the right thing & advise people also by radio , TV & newspapers!
I don't buy from Costco myself.
Though I have found long leaves that appear to be weeds and not spinacb in packets of spinach, including washed & ready to eat spinach I have bought from Aldi, Woolworths & Coles. I always take the long slender leaves that are not spinach leaves out. I guess they are not poisonous as they make it through the foid security check into the packets.

Reactions: terri
I never use any packed salads without choosing one by one and washing in lots of water!!

Reactions: 888D.C888
Oh my goodness!
Hope they do the right thing & advise people also by radio , TV & newspapers!
I don't buy from Costco myself.
Though I have found long leaves that appear to be weeds and not spinacb in packets of spinach, including washed & ready to eat spinach I have bought from Aldi, Woolworths & Coles. I always take the long slender leaves that are not spinach leaves out. I guess they are not poisonous as they make it through the foid security check into the packets.
Just heard on the news that Woolies has also recalled some of their salad products.

• Sad
Reactions: 888D.C888
Which Woolies fresh stuff? Also, although the news did say that all affected batches have been removed, they didn’t actually specify or show which weed was involved. I do take note of what is in the bags of green leaves that I buy when my own garden isn’t providing, and have also removed a few strays. Mostly rocket which I personally don’t like, especially when older, but rather than showing what looks like a perfectly good plate of spinach, show us the bl@@@y weed leaves involved! And while we’re at it, details please on the herbicides keeping those rows clear of weeds!