Warning issued against high-risk scam websites advertising incredible sales

In the age of digital shopping, the convenience of purchasing items from the comfort of your home is unparalleled for some. However, this convenience can sometimes come at a high cost, as Sarah, a communications professional, discovered.

While scrolling through the social networking website Instagram, she was enticed by a sponsored advertisement for a collapsible walking pad that could fit under a desk. Little did she know, this seemingly harmless ad would be the start of her retail nightmare.

The advertisement featured a woman raving about the convenience of the walking pad, which Sarah—who did not disclose her last name for privacy reasons—thought would be a great addition to her home office.

'This girl was giving all sorts of reviews and testimonials and was raving about how convenient the pad was, so I thought, “Why not?”’ Sarah recalled.

compressed-brett-jordan-fmqhTMu4IVU-unsplash.jpeg
Scammers are targeting victims through sponsored social media ads. Source: Brett Jordan/Unsplash

The ad led her to a website that appeared legitimate and was offering a sale. Sarah purchased the walking pad for $250, significantly lower than retail prices on other websites and stores.

‘I clicked on the ad, which took me to a website that looked perfectly [legitimate], and they were having a sale,’ she added. ‘I received an order confirmation that told me my product was on the way.’

But Sarah's order did not arrive as expected, and things were about to take a turn for the worse.

After a few weeks of waiting, she emailed the company to inquire about her order.

To her shock, the website had been taken down.

‘When I Googled the website, it had been taken down, and there had been a few reports of it being a fraudulent site,’ Sarah shared. 'My heart just sank.’

The website, known as 'Sunlinke', imitates an electronics goods store, according to cybersecurity website Malware Tips.

The scam site collects personal and financial information from customers, which can be used for identity theft and other illegal activities.

Sarah had previously purchased products from targeted Instagram ads and was unaware that social media platforms could host fake ads.

'I felt really violated,' she said.

Sarah’s experience came just as the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) Deputy Chair, Catriona Lowe, warned of a 'recent, disturbing development' where scammers pay for their fake websites to appear first on search engines.

‘This means you can’t necessarily trust the first listing you see,’ Ms Lowe stated.

To protect yourself from such scams, consumers are advised to familiarise themselves with the site addresses of their favourite brands and navigate there directly. Alternatively, they can scroll down the search results to ensure they find the real site.

‘Consumers should also be aware that scammers are using social media platforms to set up bogus stores and to advertise their fake websites,’ she added.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has shared a warning about fraudulent websites and tips on how to remain safe:

Tips to protect yourself from fraudulent websites-.jpg

It is advised that consumers be vigilant and cautious when shopping online.

Unfortunately, Sarah is not the only person who fell victim to this type of scam. We also shared similar stories in our Scam Watch forum:
Remember, if you have any doubts about an online retailer, it's best to play it safe and shop elsewhere. It's always better to be safe than sorry when protecting your hard-earned money and personal information.

If you have been scammed, report it to ACCC’s Scamwatch here: https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam

Key Takeaways
  • Sarah, whose last name was not disclosed for privacy reasons, fell victim to a scam advertised on Instagram, which led to the loss of hundreds of dollars and compromised her personal banking information.
  • The scam involved a fraudulent website called 'Sunlinke' that sold electronics like collapsible walking pads, and it collected personal and financial information for potentially illegal activities.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) warned about the rise of fraudulent websites being advertised and that they may even appear at the top of internet search results, urging consumers to be cautious.
  • The ACCC suggested that consumers should familiarise themselves with their favourite brands' official site addresses and be aware of scam advertisements on social media platforms.

Have you ever encountered a scam while shopping online, members? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below to help other members stay safe.

Sponsored
In the age of digital shopping, the convenience of purchasing items from the comfort of your home is unparalleled for some. However, this convenience can sometimes come at a high cost, as Sarah, a communications professional, discovered.

While scrolling through the social networking website Instagram, she was enticed by a sponsored advertisement for a collapsible walking pad that could fit under a desk. Little did she know, this seemingly harmless ad would be the start of her retail nightmare.

The advertisement featured a woman raving about the convenience of the walking pad, which Sarah—who did not disclose her last name for privacy reasons—thought would be a great addition to her home office.

'This girl was giving all sorts of reviews and testimonials and was raving about how convenient the pad was, so I thought, “Why not?”’ Sarah recalled.

View attachment 38824
Scammers are targeting victims through sponsored social media ads. Source: Brett Jordan/Unsplash

The ad led her to a website that appeared legitimate and was offering a sale. Sarah purchased the walking pad for $250, significantly lower than retail prices on other websites and stores.

‘I clicked on the ad, which took me to a website that looked perfectly [legitimate], and they were having a sale,’ she added. ‘I received an order confirmation that told me my product was on the way.’

But Sarah's order did not arrive as expected, and things were about to take a turn for the worse.

After a few weeks of waiting, she emailed the company to inquire about her order.

‘When I Googled the website, it had been taken down, and there had been a few reports of it being a fraudulent site,’ Sarah shared. 'My heart just sank.’

The website, known as 'Sunlinke', imitates an electronics goods store, according to cybersecurity website Malware Tips.

The scam site collects personal and financial information from customers, which can be used for identity theft and other illegal activities.

Sarah had previously purchased products from targeted Instagram ads and was unaware that social media platforms could host fake ads.

Sarah’s experience came just as the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) Deputy Chair, Catriona Lowe, warned of a 'recent, disturbing development' where scammers pay for their fake websites to appear first on search engines.

‘This means you can’t necessarily trust the first listing you see,’ Ms Lowe stated.

To protect yourself from such scams, consumers are advised to familiarise themselves with the site addresses of their favourite brands and navigate there directly. Alternatively, they can scroll down the search results to ensure they find the real site.

‘Consumers should also be aware that scammers are using social media platforms to set up bogus stores and to advertise their fake websites,’ she added.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has shared a warning about fraudulent websites and tips on how to remain safe:

Unfortunately, Sarah is not the only person who fell victim to this type of scam. We also shared similar stories in our Scam Watch forum:
Remember, if you have any doubts about an online retailer, it's best to play it safe and shop elsewhere. It's always better to be safe than sorry when protecting your hard-earned money and personal information.

If you have been scammed, report it to ACCC’s Scamwatch here: https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam

Key Takeaways

• Sarah, whose last name was not disclosed for privacy reasons, fell victim to a scam advertised on Instagram, which led to the loss of hundreds of dollars and compromised her personal banking information.
  • The scam involved a fraudulent website called 'Sunlinke' that sold electronics like collapsible walking pads, and it collected personal and financial information for potentially illegal activities.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) warned about the rise of fraudulent websites being advertised and that they may even appear at the top of internet search results, urging consumers to be cautious.
  • The ACCC suggested that consumers should familiarise themselves with their favourite brands' official site addresses and be aware of scam advertisements on social media platforms.

Have you ever encountered a scam while shopping online, members? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below to help other members stay safe.
What annoys me is instagram gets money from these people and when you tell them, they ignore it.

Never click on any link. Go directly to the company website. And don't click on anything titled 'sponsored' .
I almost fell for a link within a Messenger chat about an item I was selling. The person wanted to trade + cash and suggested I check his ad. Instead I checked him. Scam.
Be very, very careful. We need to be much more suspicious and cynical of anything online.

I’m not on Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, What’s App or any other apps for this very reason. If I want to let friends and family know or see anything I call or send directly to their email or phones. Why does anyone else need to see and know anything I don’t want them to see or know? I only use my phone to make and receive calls and texts, and my computer to send and receive anything that I want to send and receive to those I want to send to and receive from. NO ONE ELSE. I believe in keeping my information private and not for the rest of the world to see and hack into. All calls on my phone have the senders name, if not it gets dumped without opening. If they really need to contact me or are genuine they can call again and again till I do pick up. Only one ‘private caller’ on my list of contacts and I only pick up for her.

If more people go this way or know how to set up computers and phones so they CANNOT be scammed or hacked that is the best thing. Get off all these apps, you don’t need them.

I love the ads on Facebook. Then copy the item name onto eBay and hey bingo it’s cheaper. Scam watch is also a good way to check names of companies

Last edited:

View attachment 38824

Key Takeaways

Nothing on social media sites is real, it's a trap waiting to snap.

I never use Instagram anyway. I always think of it as a young persons social media site. And there's no groups on there to join and chat with people like Facebook. I never take any notice of any adverts online anyway.

When I buy anything online I always go to eBay or Amazon. In all the years of buying stuff from them I've never had anything fake or been scammed.

I use "One Day Closer to Rain" on Facebook. It is country people trying to make money for their families. So far as good, I haven't had any troubles. You have to be a member of their group otherwise they have a website "Spend with us" again no trouble so far. Most of the goods are handmade and you get to see them before you buy.

Never click on any link. Go directly to the company website. And don't click on anything titled 'sponsored' .
I almost fell for a link within a Messenger chat about an item I was selling. The person wanted to trade + cash and suggested I check his ad. Instead I checked him. Scam.
Be very, very careful. We need to be much more suspicious and cynical of anything online.
Thanks for the warning, @LeahI!

Last edited:
Nothing quite as secure as smashing your mobile phone to tiny little pieces and feeding the bits through a rock-crusher............and then sprinkling the sandy remains on a beach or unmade road. Being scammed seems to be the price of ultra-convenience allied to laziness.

I never click on any links and never buy anything online that is not from a well known website like amazon, eBay, etc. I also use a different card for online shopping and put money on it as I need it.
Another gem over here. Thanks @Gsr! :D

For me, I never use my debit card for online shopping. I exclusively use my credit card as it leaves room for me to dispute anything suspicious. Using debit leaves the stored money vulnerable to be taken in the event my details get compromised. I also don't frequently shop online, anyway, so there's that too.
Nothing quite as secure as smashing your mobile phone to tiny little pieces and feeding the bits through a rock-crusher............and then sprinkling the sandy remains on a beach or unmade road.
There are the days I feel like doing this too, @Rob44. :LOL:

View attachment 38824

Key Takeaways

The tip about having a designated credit card with a low limit is a great idea and I have never got into any trouble (touch wood) by using this card through Paypal. There is no way I will hand over our main credit card for anything to do with online shopping. I like the fact that Paypal is there as an intermediary.

I thought everyone ignored adds on instagram.
One would think so.
Nothing quite as secure as smashing your mobile phone to tiny little pieces and feeding the bits through a rock-crusher............and then sprinkling the sandy remains on a beach or unmade road. Being scammed seems to be the price of ultra-convenience allied to laziness.
And your computer, laptop, iPad etc.
Great if it was easy to live in this world without such technology.

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
My husband just learned his lesson. Being an avid fb user, he spied Kmart’s ‘promotion’ of scooters for$ 3.00! I warned him it’s a scam, but he believed the testimonials with photos if extatic customers are genuine. Instead of arguing with him, I handed him my debit card I keep for ‘just in case’ that had very small amount on it ($ 7.00) to go through with it. Of course as soon as the payment went through, he was re directed to another site that looked really dodgy. The penny dropped. I looked up the statement to see where the money went and surprise, it was somewhere in Suffolk. Not Mumbai. Anyway, for $3.00 it was worth it. Since then husband received 2 more dodgy emails that he deleted immediately and hopefully got cured from scams like that.