SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
J

James Gutierrez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 11, 2021
Warning for motorists: Watch out for this text message scam – here's how to protect yourself!

If you're a regular driver, there's a good chance you use an e-tag or similar electronic device to automatically register and pay for road tolls.

These devices are extremely convenient and make paying for tolls much easier, especially if you're travelling long distances. All you have to do is attach them to your windshield, and they'll take care of the rest!

But as useful as they are, scammers have found a way to exploit them in order to con unsuspecting Australians out of millions of dollars…

Here's what you need to know to protect yourself from becoming a victim.

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 9.08.04 AM.png
Scammers are targeting users of road toll e-tags such as Linkt. Credit: A Current Affair.

It starts with a text message claiming an outstanding road toll that needs to be paid.

The amount owed is usually only a few dollars, so it doesn't seem like much at first glance. But if you click on the link provided in the message, it will take you to a fake website that looks almost identical to the real thing.

Once on this site, you enter your credit card details and hit 'submit'. And just like that, scammers will have access to your bank account and can quickly drain it dry!

We've heard reports of people losing thousands of dollars in just a matter of days because they fell for this simple trick.

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 9.07.57 AM.png
Catherine Arrowsmith was fleeced for $8,000 after she paid a small $5 toll fine after getting a text. Credit: A Current Affair.

Catherine Arrowsmith, a young mother, is one example of this type of situation. She got a text message informing her that she owed a $5 toll fine, which she promptly paid with her credit card.

She reported that she even double-checked the website and found that it appeared to be real; yet, she was conned out of thousands of dollars. 'About two weeks later, they went and spent about $8,000 in Victoria, and I live in NSW,' she recalled her harrowing experience.

Ms Arrowsmith went on to express her disappointment that her bank had not immediately placed a hold on her card in response to the suspicious activity, which could have saved her thousands of dollars.

'They didn't put any stop on the cards. The transactions were for $2,500, another $900 at Coles, and another $900 at Woolies. I don't think I've ever spent $900 at Coles,' she said.

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 9.07.51 AM.png
Andrew Engel had $11,000 stolen from his credit card. Credit: A Current Affair.

Andrew Engel fell prey to a similar con. Like many Aussie drivers, he also has a tag on his car for tolls.

Recently, he received a text message from Linkt, his toll collection company, informing him that a recent toll had not been filed and asking if he could pay the $5 toll to avoid a fine.

Even though the URL and associated link appeared to be legitimate, he was shocked his credit card was fraudulently charged $11,000.

'I go to bed at night, it's the last thing I think about; it's the first thing I think about when I wake up because it's such a large amount of money. It may as well have been a million,' said the 74-year-old pensioner, who lives on a limited income.

Mr Engel, like Ms Arrowsmith, was also upset that his bank did not put any kind of hold on his card even though the transactions were highly out of the norm for the customer who had been with the bank for decades.

While Ms Arrowsmith was fortunate in recouping a sizable portion of her losses through a bank dispute, Mr Engel's efforts were unsuccessful, and he was forced to pay the full amount of his losses on his credit card.
Key Takeaways

• Motorists should be aware of a scam targeting users of electronic toll-payment devices.
  • Scammers send text messages asking for payment of an outstanding toll and then direct victims to a fake website where their credit card details are stolen.
  • Thousands of Aussies have been hit by this scam, and once the criminals get their credit cards, they go shopping immediately.
Transurban, which is owned by the NSW government and runs tolls across the country, has issued a statement warning Aussie motorists to be on the lookout for scams in light of recent events.

'We are aware of an SMS phishing scam that is using Linkt, Transurban and other toll road brands,' they said.

'This is a significant issue across Australia – many different brands and companies are facing this challenge, and unsuspecting people are falling victim to scam text messages.'

'Our Cyber Security Operations team is working with telecommunications providers to identify and block phone numbers sending these texts. We have reported nearly 2000 unique scam messages to telecommunications providers so that they can block these and protect our customers and the Australian public.'

Tip
You can report a scam message to Linkt via their website at linkt.com.au or via the Federal Government's ScamWatch website at scamwatch.gov.au.
The following is part of the guidance that they provided on how to protect oneself and one's family from phishing scams and other similar cons:
  • Never reply to an email or SMS with your financial information or personal information. They said: 'If we need you to manage your account, we will always direct you to log into your account directly via  linkt.com.au or the Linkt app.'
  • If you receive a message from someone claiming to be Linkt or Transurban that doesn't seem quite right, don't click on the link. Some examples of what you may see in a scam text include incorrect spelling or strange URLs.
  • Make sure you're logging into the Linkt website by navigating to  linkt.com.au before you enter any personal details. You can also manage your account securely via the Linkt or LinktGO apps.
Members, we hope you found this information useful and that you'll be extra careful from now on when it comes to any unsolicited texts or emails you receive.

To stay informed about current fraud cases and phishing attacks, visit the Scam Watch forum on the SDC website. Stay safe always!

People will never learn .... If someone asks you for 20 cents, ELECTRONICALLY, block. If anyone asks you for anything ELECTRONICALLY, block ! Its that easy. Your bank won't call you, so if you receive a phone call from your bank OR a text, go to your bank and talk to them there or if you can't walk-in, call them yourself.

Warning for motorists: Watch out for this text message scam – here's how to protect yourself!

If you're a regular driver, there's a good chance you use an e-tag or similar electronic device to automatically register and pay for road tolls.

These devices are extremely convenient and make paying for tolls much easier, especially if you're travelling long distances. All you have to do is attach them to your windshield, and they'll take care of the rest!

But as useful as they are, scammers have found a way to exploit them in order to con unsuspecting Australians out of millions of dollars…

View attachment 8643
Scammers are targeting users of road toll e-tags such as Linkt. Credit: A Current Affair.

It starts with a text message claiming an outstanding road toll that needs to be paid.

The amount owed is usually only a few dollars, so it doesn't seem like much at first glance. But if you click on the link provided in the message, it will take you to a fake website that looks almost identical to the real thing.

Once on this site, you enter your credit card details and hit 'submit'. And just like that, scammers will have access to your bank account and can quickly drain it dry!

We've heard reports of people losing thousands of dollars in just a matter of days because they fell for this simple trick.

View attachment 8644
Catherine Arrowsmith was fleeced for $8,000 after she paid a small $5 toll fine after getting a text. Credit: A Current Affair.

Catherine Arrowsmith, a young mother, is one example of this type of situation. She got a text message informing her that she owed a $5 toll fine, which she promptly paid with her credit card.

She reported that she even double-checked the website and found that it appeared to be real; yet, she was conned out of thousands of dollars. 'About two weeks later, they went and spent about $8,000 in Victoria, and I live in NSW,' she recalled her harrowing experience.

Ms Arrowsmith went on to express her disappointment that her bank had not immediately placed a hold on her card in response to the suspicious activity, which could have saved her thousands of dollars.

'They didn't put any stop on the cards. The transactions were for $2,500, another $900 at Coles, and another $900 at Woolies. I don't think I've ever spent $900 at Coles,' she said.

View attachment 8645

Andrew Engel fell prey to a similar con. Like many Aussie drivers, he also has a tag on his car for tolls.

Recently, he received a text message from Linkt, his toll collection company, informing him that a recent toll had not been filed and asking if he could pay the $5 toll to avoid a fine.

Even though the URL and associated link appeared to be legitimate, he was shocked his credit card was fraudulently charged $11,000.

'I go to bed at night, it's the last thing I think about; it's the first thing I think about when I wake up because it's such a large amount of money. It may as well have been a million,' said the 74-year-old pensioner, who lives on a limited income.

Mr Engel, like Ms Arrowsmith, was also upset that his bank did not put any kind of hold on his card even though the transactions were highly out of the norm for the customer who had been with the bank for decades.

While Ms Arrowsmith was fortunate in recouping a sizable portion of her losses through a bank dispute, Mr Engel's efforts were unsuccessful, and he was forced to pay the full amount of his losses on his credit card.
Key Takeaways

• Motorists should be aware of a scam targeting users of electronic toll-payment devices.
  • Scammers send text messages asking for payment of an outstanding toll and then direct victims to a fake website where their credit card details are stolen.
  • Thousands of Aussies have been hit by this scam, and once the criminals get their credit cards, they go shopping immediately.
Transurban, which is owned by the NSW government and runs tolls across the country, has issued a statement warning Aussie motorists to be on the lookout for scams in light of recent events.

'We are aware of an SMS phishing scam that is using Linkt, Transurban and other toll road brands,' they said.

'This is a significant issue across Australia – many different brands and companies are facing this challenge, and unsuspecting people are falling victim to scam text messages.'

'Our Cyber Security Operations team is working with telecommunications providers to identify and block phone numbers sending these texts. We have reported nearly 2000 unique scam messages to telecommunications providers so that they can block these and protect our customers and the Australian public.'

Tip
You can report a scam message to Linkt via their website at linkt.com.au or via the Federal Government's ScamWatch website at scamwatch.gov.au.
The following is part of the guidance that they provided on how to protect oneself and one's family from phishing scams and other similar cons:
  • Never reply to an email or SMS with your financial information or personal information. They said: 'If we need you to manage your account, we will always direct you to log into your account directly via  linkt.com.au or the Linkt app.'
  • If you receive a message from someone claiming to be Linkt or Transurban that doesn't seem quite right, don't click on the link. Some examples of what you may see in a scam text include incorrect spelling or strange URLs.
  • Make sure you're logging into the Linkt website by navigating to  linkt.com.au before you enter any personal details. You can also manage your account securely via the Linkt or LinktGO apps.
Members, we hope you found this information useful and that you'll be extra careful from now on when it comes to any unsolicited texts or emails you receive.

To stay informed about current fraud cases and phishing attacks, visit the Scam Watch forum on the SDC website. Stay safe always!
I received one too. One word was spelt wrong, so I logged into my account and saw all was good so new it was a scam.

There is a 100% safe way. Get an Australia Post pre-paid mastercard. It is not linked to any bank account. You load it with however much you can risk (it is basically a debit card). Ideal for shopping on the net, but best of all is PayPal. If you get scammed you get your money back from PayPal with some exceptions. I have had my Westpac MasterCard scammed twice a long time ago and I got my money back from Westpac.

Someone should start up the 'Scammers' Scam Club'. If people sent back false names and numbers the scammers can waste their time chasing nothing and getting it. Otherwise, a special Government Department to deal with all these scammers should be set up to protect us, where we can forward on these 'attempts'. Surely FRAUD is a crime??

Reactions: Annemarie
Don't credit cards have insurance to cover this sort of thing any more?

And don't websites like Linkt etc have a secure padlock at the left hand side of the address bar where you type in the web address? No padlock = no go when it comes to paying for anything or giving out bank details, credit cards etc surely? Or have the crims/scammers found a way around these things now too?

Don't credit cards have insurance to cover this sort of thing any more?

And don't websites like Linkt etc have a secure padlock at the left hand side of the address bar where you type in the web address? No padlock = no go when it comes to paying for anything or giving out bank details, credit cards etc surely? Or have the crims/scammers found a way around these things now too?
Even Seniors Discounts website has the secure padlock in the address/search bar!

I received the same email; but it was sent one of my online mailboxes that I have had since the mid-1990s. Blocked it straight away. It gets enough spam and my personal email is just that, personal.

Reactions: Annemarie and Ezzy
I have one Tag account and one Tag. I have registered both my vehicles to/on this account. If I forget to take my tag with me when I travel in my other vehicle, it doesn't matter because my other vehicle number plate is photographed as a 'non-tag' vehicle and it is referenced back to my account, so the toll is paid.
So I know that, whether I have my tag or not, any toll I incur is paid.
Also, I don't know of any toll that is a whole number of dollars! At least not here in Sydney. Caveat emptor!

I received the same email from Linkt and I knew I had money on my account as I put it on the week before. So I logged into my Linkt account and saw I had the same amount as I put in. So I ignored it. I have had many texts and emails from scammers including MyGov, Apple, Telstra, Commonwealth Bank to name a few. I think the ACCC is sick of me by now. Stay safe out there and don't click any links until you sign in to your own account to see if the message is there as well. Then you will know it's true.

I received several of this text
I rang Linkt they told me it wasn't from them
The next couple of times I got them I told them I didn't have a car and they haven't sent one for a while

View attachment 8643

View attachment 8644

View attachment 8645

Key Takeaways

Tip

I did receive such a message, but fortunately I knew I had not used a tollway recently. I do not have an e-tag as I very seldom use tollways... they still targeted me!

• Wow

View attachment 8643

View attachment 8644

View attachment 8645

Key Takeaways

Tip

I've had 2 of these texts...fortunately I live in south Australia and we have no toll roads so knew it had to be a scam...there's so many around atm that I check anything to do with money...

Reactions: Annemarie