WARNING: Don't Fall for These Sneaky Online Shopping Scams Targeting Top Brands!

Online shopping has become increasingly popular in recent years, and it's easy to see why.

The ability to browse through an endless selection of products, compare prices and have items delivered straight to your doorstep is simply unbeatable.

However, with the rise of online shopping comes the rise of fraudulent websites looking to exploit unsuspecting shoppers.

Scammers exploit our love for a good deal, especially when it comes to trusted brands like Peter Alexander, Sportsgirl, and Gorman.

As much as we love the convenience of online shopping, we must protect ourselves from scammers who seek to exploit this convenience.

According to Scamwatch data by the ACCC, over $1 million have been lost to online shopping scams by Aussies this year alone!

1682580231132.png
Clothing retailers like Peter Alexander are caught up in a scam, and Australians are being warned about fake online shopping sites. Credit: Twitter/ScamWatch.

The agency warned: ‘Fake online shopping websites can be very convincing!’

‘They may contain a real ABN, fake positive and negative reviews, and even have scam warnings to convince you their site is genuine.’

One of the primary reasons online scams continue to thrive is the uncanny resemblance of the fake websites with the original pages. These fraudulent websites often use the name, logo, and branding of reputable brands.

As a result, it becomes incredibly challenging for shoppers to distinguish between genuine and fake websites.

What’s worse, these websites often display incredibly low-priced items to lure in shoppers, only to take their money – or worse, con them with a counterfeit item – and disappear.

Counterfeit websites typically lure shoppers with discounted prices on popular items, which can be tempting. However, it's essential to remember the age-old adage: if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

While you may receive the item you purchased, it's likely to be a fake. Worse still, you may not receive anything at all.

To ensure the security of your online payments, Scamwatch recommends that you only use secure payment services when making purchases online.

Look for a URL that starts with 'https' and a closed padlock symbol in the address bar, or use a trusted payment provider like PayPal.

These measures can help protect your personal and financial information from falling into the wrong hands.

Peter Alexander recently warned customers about fraudulent websites using its name, logo, and imagery and urged them not to purchase from any other website due to the risk of fraud.

In its statement, the brand clarified that the only authorised websites for purchasing genuine Peter Alexander products are peteralexander.com.au and peteralexander.co.nz.

Similarly, Sportsgirl and Gorman have cautioned their customers about scam websites and advised them to only shop for authentic products through their official websites or retail stores.

Sportsgirl emphasised that sportsgirl.com.au is the only platform for purchasing genuine, first-hand products, while Gorman informed customers that its official website is gormanshop.com.au.

It should be noted that customers of another clothing boutique, Dotti, also experienced a similar scam. So, it pays to be extra vigilant when purchasing items online.

Key Takeaways
  • Online shopping scams have been on the rise, targeting trusted Aussie retail giants such as Peter Alexander, Sportsgirl, and Gorman.
  • Over 1 million dollars have been lost to online shopping scams by Aussies this year alone, according to Scamwatch.
  • Fraudulent websites often use the name, logo, and branding of reputable brands, making it difficult for shoppers to differentiate between genuine and fake websites.
  • To avoid these scams, use secure payment services and shop only through official websites or retail stores of trusted brands.

So, members, now that we know the sneaky tactics scammers use, let's pass this information along to our friends and family who may not be aware of the risks of online shopping.

By looking out for each other and staying cautious, we can ensure that our online shopping experiences remain enjoyable and worry-free.

Stay safe out there, folks!

Sponsored
Online shopping has become increasingly popular in recent years, and it's easy to see why.

The ability to browse through an endless selection of products, compare prices and have items delivered straight to your doorstep is simply unbeatable.

However, with the rise of online shopping comes the rise of fraudulent websites looking to exploit unsuspecting shoppers.

Scammers exploit our love for a good deal, especially when it comes to trusted brands like Peter Alexander, Sportsgirl, and Gorman.

As much as we love the convenience of online shopping, we must protect ourselves from scammers who seek to exploit this convenience.

According to Scamwatch data by the ACCC, over $1 million have been lost to online shopping scams by Aussies this year alone!

View attachment 18471
Clothing retailers like Peter Alexander are caught up in a scam, and Australians are being warned about fake online shopping sites. Credit: Twitter/ScamWatch.

‘They may contain a real ABN, fake positive and negative reviews, and even have scam warnings to convince you their site is genuine.’

One of the primary reasons online scams continue to thrive is the uncanny resemblance of the fake websites with the original pages. These fraudulent websites often use the name, logo, and branding of reputable brands.

As a result, it becomes incredibly challenging for shoppers to distinguish between genuine and fake websites.

What’s worse, these websites often display incredibly low-priced items to lure in shoppers, only to take their money – or worse, con them with a counterfeit item – and disappear.

Counterfeit websites typically lure shoppers with discounted prices on popular items, which can be tempting. However, it's essential to remember the age-old adage: if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

While you may receive the item you purchased, it's likely to be a fake. Worse still, you may not receive anything at all.

To ensure the security of your online payments, Scamwatch recommends that you only use secure payment services when making purchases online.

Look for a URL that starts with 'https' and a closed padlock symbol in the address bar, or use a trusted payment provider like PayPal.

These measures can help protect your personal and financial information from falling into the wrong hands.

Peter Alexander recently warned customers about fraudulent websites using its name, logo, and imagery and urged them not to purchase from any other website due to the risk of fraud.

In its statement, the brand clarified that the only authorised websites for purchasing genuine Peter Alexander products are peteralexander.com.au and peteralexander.co.nz.

Similarly, Sportsgirl and Gorman have cautioned their customers about scam websites and advised them to only shop for authentic products through their official websites or retail stores.

Sportsgirl emphasised that sportsgirl.com.au is the only platform for purchasing genuine, first-hand products, while Gorman informed customers that its official website is gormanshop.com.au.

It should be noted that customers of another clothing boutique, Dotti, also experienced a similar scam. So, it pays to be extra vigilant when purchasing items online.

Key Takeaways

• Online shopping scams have been on the rise, targeting trusted Aussie retail giants such as Peter Alexander, Sportsgirl, and Gorman.
  • Over 1 million dollars have been lost to online shopping scams by Aussies this year alone, according to Scamwatch.
  • Fraudulent websites often use the name, logo, and branding of reputable brands, making it difficult for shoppers to differentiate between genuine and fake websites.
  • To avoid these scams, use secure payment services and shop only through official websites or retail stores of trusted brands.

So, members, now that we know the sneaky tactics scammers use, let's pass this information along to our friends and family who may not be aware of the risks of online shopping.

By looking out for each other and staying cautious, we can ensure that our online shopping experiences remain enjoyable and worry-free.

I only but on line using PayPal they have security in getting your money back. You only give your account details once, not having to put them on line for every purchase. So it may cost a few dollars but cheaper than losing a lot more.

I admit it - I don't like shopping and I don't do it if I don't have to. Sometimes I can go two or three years without buying new clothes or shoes. So recently I decided I needed slippers and one or two new jumpers. I made a trip to a large shopping mall last Friday where I knew there were specific shops I liked that stocked these things. It was a waste of a trip because all those stores had closed down and gone online. Now, I do understand the retailer's point of view - they don't want to pay outrageous rental prices and they think they can make a bigger profit by going online. But they don't seem to consider that there is a downside and they lose customers too. I won't shop for clothes and shoes online, not only because of the possibility of fake/cloned shopping websites but also because I want to try on shoes and slippers and make sure they fit and are comfortable. I want to examine the clothing and see the quality of the fabric and construction, feel the texture of the cloth (I'm fussy about what goes next to my skin), and I want to try it on to make sure it fits well and suits me. On the rare occasion when I did buy clothing online in the past, I was extremely disappointed because the sizing was totally off, and the quality very poor. I blame greedy landlords. I've known a number of people who closed down their shop and started working from home (e.g. my mechanic and my hairdresser). When I asked why, the answer was always "Couldn't afford the rent for the shop". I haven't yet had any experience with fake online shopping websites (thank goodness) and will be interested to read if anyone else has, and also whether people were satisfied with the quality of what they received or whether they bought "a pig in a poke" when they purchased clothing and shoes online.

I admit it - I don't like shopping and I don't do it if I don't have to. Sometimes I can go two or three years without buying new clothes or shoes. So recently I decided I needed slippers and one or two new jumpers. I made a trip to a large shopping mall last Friday where I knew there were specific shops I liked that stocked these things. It was a waste of a trip because all those stores had closed down and gone online. Now, I do understand the retailer's point of view - they don't want to pay outrageous rental prices and they think they can make a bigger profit by going online. But they don't seem to consider that there is a downside and they lose customers too. I won't shop for clothes and shoes online, not only because of the possibility of fake/cloned shopping websites but also because I want to try on shoes and slippers and make sure they fit and are comfortable. I want to examine the clothing and see the quality of the fabric and construction, feel the texture of the cloth (I'm fussy about what goes next to my skin), and I want to try it on to make sure it fits well and suits me. On the rare occasion when I did buy clothing online in the past, I was extremely disappointed because the sizing was totally off, and the quality very poor. I blame greedy landlords. I've known a number of people who closed down their shop and started working from home (e.g. my mechanic and my hairdresser). When I asked why, the answer was always "Couldn't afford the rent for the shop". I haven't yet had any experience with fake online shopping websites (thank goodness) and will be interested to read if anyone else has, and also whether people were satisfied with the quality of what they received or whether they bought "a pig in a poke" when they purchased clothing and shoes online.
I haven't had any, which I'm thankful for too.

As for the quality, one thing I've always made sure of is to check if the seller has many reviews. Zero reviews means zero buys for me, except in cases when I know what I'm buying is a new launch.

That said, I'm curious to know the experiences of those who've had bad experiences too :(

View attachment 18471

Key Takeaways

I do some online shopping, however, am vigilant about how I pay.
If Paypal is not available, then, no matter how cheap the item may be, I will not buy it.
I had an incident this year where I needed to adjust an order previously purchased through Paypal. I was OK with an additional payment for the change, however, they wanted me to do so with a credit card. It was only a few dollars, but in the end I said if you cannot process this via Paypal, I will cancel the order and have Paypal deal with you.
Amazingly, they found a way to make it happen.
There are sneaky people out there, so, we all have to be alert and when necessary, stand our ground.

View attachment 18471

Key Takeaways

I got scammed at Xmas I thought it looked so real, plus my neighbour was scammed as well different shops but same email.