Want to make $1k weekly? Here’s how, according to The Trash Lawyer

Imagine being able to say that you furnished your entire apartment for free and make a living just by being savvy with what others consider rubbish.

Dubbed a 'treasure hunter,' one individual combs streets and sifts through council waste piles, boasting earnings of up to $52,000 a year by selling what he finds.

It seems too good to be true, but for Leonardo Urbano, this vision is a reality.

His nickname, The Trash Lawyer, might inspire images of courtroom battles, but it’s actually in the streets and alleyways of Sydney where he’s making a case for turning waste into wealth.

This modern-day urban scavenger tale began in the grips of the pandemic.

Snapinsta.app_242228643_4378613285550466_6123653317710008845_n_1080.jpg
Urbano proves that some rubbish is still valuable. Image Credit: The Trash Lawyer/Instagram

Like many, Urbano was out of work, but instead of giving up, he saw a chance in everything being thrown away.

This 30-year-old isn't just randomly picking things; he has a good eye for detail and knows what will sell. Understanding brands, knowing what production times mean, and spotting those rare, limited-edition items collectors want are all important.

Surprisingly, 70 per cent of what he finds is functional and just requires a fast cleaning, while 30 per cent requires repair.

Urbano shared his realisation: ‘I find it empowering because you learn how to fix things slowly and gain skills you didn't have before.’

Some of his finds include high-end appliances like Dyson vacuum cleaners, luxury apparel including a Fendi tracksuit, and even gold jewellery.

Snapinsta.app_300170849_790325705305602_14044222839556169_n_1080.jpg
A highly valued piece of artwork is among Urbano’s found treasures. Image Credit: The Trash Lawyer/Instagram

In the past, he found precious porcelains such as Chinese vases valued at $220 and $145, respectively, and a Victorian English green and white glass epergne worth as much as $1,900.

He also managed to score an Adidas Allen Iverson Sixers jersey worth $400, and artwork by award-winning artist Dapeng Liu, valued at $3,000.

Urbano said he is committed to reducing waste, and part of his finds have been donated to charity, echoing his stance against the excessive consumerism that often leads to these items being tossed aside.

‘I think donating is the right thing to do—to reduce landfill and help someone out who may need it. There's so much that's discarded, and people don't realise not everything gets recycled,’ he shared.

He revealed that he avoids selling clothes and toys. Instead, he prefers donating.

Over the years, he believes he donated an estimated $100,000 worth of discarded belongings, mostly regular items like plates, utensils, toys for kids, paintings, and decorations.

Additionally, he furnished his entire two-bedroom residence using the rubbish he collected. In less than two months, his home was filled with free items ranging from silverware to a television set.

Since he stores most of his finds in his apartment, he maintains 'reasonable' prices to ensure rapid turnover of the goods.

‘It usually sells in a few days, and I don't have the space to keep it all for long periods of time. If it doesn't sell, I donate it,’ he noted.

Key Takeaways

• Leonardo Urbano, known as The Trash Lawyer online, has created a business by selling items he finds discarded in Sydney, claiming to make up to $52,000 a year.
  • He furnished his entire two-bedroom apartment for free within one and a half months with items picked up from the street.
  • Urbano looks for particular elements in the items he collects, such as branding, the year of production, and rarity.
  • Aside from selling, Urbano also donates many items to charity to reduce landfill, estimating he has given away goods worth approximately $100,000.

Do you have stories of finding value from preloved items? What do you think about Urbano’s foraging adventure? Share your thoughts and experiences below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
When you put anything out for the council to pick up it is deemed to be theirs. It is illegal to take anything from those piles of ”stuff” so he is really just stealing & should be fined for it!

• Wow
Reactions: Vinylted and Phyll
Good on you Urbano!!! Well done.👏👏👏It is appalling what some people throw out or dump because they are too lazy to donate or take it to the dump themselves. It is also appalling to see the wastage these days, I couldn’t even afford some of this stuff thrown out. I also don’t redecorate every other day because I get bored with what I have. We were brought up to appreciate what we had and still to this day, I will use or wear the item until it is unusable. Urbano is doing more good than harm, leave him alone.

Good on you Urbano!!! Well done.👏👏👏It is appalling what some people throw out or dump because they are too lazy to donate or take it to the dump themselves. It is also appalling to see the wastage these days, I couldn’t even afford some of this stuff thrown out. I also don’t redecorate every other day because I get bored with what I have. We were brought up to appreciate what we had and still to this day, I will use or wear the item until it is unusable. Urbano is doing more good than harm, leave him alone.
I agree. Instead of whinging and moaning about everything and anything, you are turning trash into treasure. Hope you continue to do well and the extra money helps you. Well done Urbano!

When you put anything out for the council to pick up it is deemed to be theirs. It is illegal to take anything from those piles of ”stuff” so he is really just stealing & should be fined for it!
But if he sells, donates or even gives what he collects to needy people, those things get another go around instead of being destroyed and buried.

My neighbours and myself often leave out items near the kerb so people can take things free.
A while ago we updated a desk, so we put our old desk out the front and it was picked up in 30 minutes by a passer-by in a ute.
I've done that too. Once I recall the items were on Facebook within 2 hours.

It's ok, the person who took them cleaned and advertised and waited for a buyer so s/he earned the money s/he got.

Oh get real!! There are people everywhere, everyday picking things up off Council collection piles.
Nobody gives two hoots, including the Council.
Who told you it was illegal. Until the council picks it up it's not theirs.

You make some good points but one comment is ridiculous.
”too lazy to take it to the dump themselves”.
Firstly: Hard rubbish collection is free, part of your rates.
Secondly: The exorbitant fees you pay at the “dump” are ridiculous.
Council charges you to take the rubbish to the tip but the pick it up for free. It should be the other way round.
Thirdly: Not everyone has the vehicle to take their rubbish to the “dump”.
so your “too lazy” statement is pathetic!

Greedy individual is what this person is - he would be the type of person I have seen 'sifting' through neatly stacked 'rubbish' for pick up and leaving it in a mess. Causing council to then complain to the resident(s) about not keeping things orderly. Agree - if he has a truck whatever take it to salvos etc for people who need it but are unable to actually own a vehicle to scour the areas.

Yes; he should flogged 100 times with cat 'o nine tails for being very sensible.

Our local tip shop charges us for taking rubbish to the tip. Then it scavenges the tip. The it fills its yard with stuff that we have slung out and charges top dollar for the effort. Worn-out knackered weatherboards at $6 a metre when I can buy new weatherboards for the same price next door at Uptons'. The Council leases the tip site to a local company so that we pay rates and then make a profit for someone else. Why can't the Council do that instead and make money for community groups? Oh; I forget. Privatisation.

Good on ya Urbano . I hate to see good furniture & household items going to the dump . When we have a kerbside pickup I like to see people picking up what others don’t want as long as they don’t make a mess.

You make some good points but one comment is ridiculous.
”too lazy to take it to the dump themselves”.
Firstly: Hard rubbish collection is free, part of your rates.
Secondly: The exorbitant fees you pay at the “dump” are ridiculous.
Council charges you to take the rubbish to the tip but the pick it up for free. It should be the other way round.
Thirdly: Not everyone has the vehicle to take their rubbish to the “dump”.
so your “too lazy” statement is pathetic!
My apologies.

I have hardly ever seen what people throw out to the dump sty put someone finds a use for it rather than going into landfil