WA to introduce 'Australia's toughest gun laws' after Perth school shooting

After a shocking incident in which a teenager brought two rifles to a school in a Perth suburb and allegedly fired multiple shots, the Western Australia government has announced that they will be introducing ‘the toughest gun laws in Australia’.

Fortunately, no one was hurt during the incident.

Gun control reforms to take effect

However, this shocking event served as a wake-up call for the authorities, prompting Premier Mark McGowan to push for major reforms to the current gun control laws (also known as the Firearms Act) across the state.

Acknowledging that this is not a situation one would typically associate with Australia, Mr McGowan recognised the urgency of addressing gun control and reducing the number of firearms throughout the state.

gun1.jpg
Reforms will take place sometime this year. Credit: Somchai Kongkamsri/Pexels

In a statement to the public, he said: ‘This is the thing you see on television in the United States. We are moving as quickly as we can to dramatically reform gun laws.’

Premier McGowan also highlighted that there are currently 360,000 licensed firearms in the state, with numbers having increased significantly in recent years.

‘That's far too many,’ he shared.

‘We need to stop ourselves [from] falling into that terrible abyss that America has fallen into.’

While McGowan did not go into the specific details of the reforms, he made it clear that firearm licenses should only be held by people with ‘legitimate reasons’.

He also revealed that the reforms are expected to be implemented later this year.

gun2.jpg
A teenage boy was arrested after allegedly 'firing a gun' at a college. Credit: Ivan Samkov/Pexels

According to reports on the case, a 15-year-old boy allegedly fired three shots at a college just before noon on Wednesday. He was quickly apprehended before anyone was injured.

Police officers at the scene allege that he had two high-powered rifles and ammunition inside the car he was driving.

Students who were at the school spoke to reporters about their experience.

‘They had the curtains over the windows, and we couldn’t see, but they didn’t block off the door so we could see all the police coming and the ambulance,’ one girl said.

Another girl shared that she heard a ‘big bang’ before her teacher told them to hide under their desks, while one student said they hid in a storage room.

Atlantis Beach Baptist College Board Chair Mike Smith proclaimed that the school would remain closed until Friday under a modified teaching program in response to the incident. He also said there would be support staff and counselling services on site.

The college will reopen at full capacity on Monday.

Impact of gun-related incidents in the US

‘You never think this would happen here, in Western Australia, in Two Rocks of all places,’ Mr McGowan explained.

‘In my view, the problem with America is the prevalence of guns, and they have no appetite to deal with it – but we're going to deal with it.’

This year alone, there have been more than 200 mass shootings across America, 23 of which occurred within school premises resulting in injuries or deaths.

‘If kids can get access to keys to access firearms, that's not good enough. They should not be able to get access to any firearms,’ he claimed.

It's clear that our Australian government leaders do not wish to follow in the footsteps of America when it comes to firearm accessibility and associated violence.

Swift response from WA police officers praised

Staff at Atlantis Beach Baptist College (where the incident took place) praised the police officers on the scene for their prompt and professional response to the shooting incident.

While the alleged shooter’s motive is still unclear, it is believed that he was a former student. Mr McGowan confirmed that the teenager is still in police custody.

'In terms of the staff and students, I'd like to congratulate them on their bravery. They acted appropriately and with the utmost caution,’ he added.

He also expressed his gratitude towards the first police responders, who ‘arrived on the scene to what could have been a very, very difficult situation’.

Mr McGowan also acknowledged that the upcoming gun control reforms would not please everyone. However, he said he remains committed to reducing the number of guns in the state despite potential criticism.

‘Some people will be very angry about it, but we have to make sure there are fewer guns,’ he concluded.

Key Takeaways
  • The ‘toughest gun laws in Australia’ will be imposed in Western Australia after a 15-year-old boy allegedly fired a rifle on school grounds.
  • WA Premier Mark McGowan vowed to reform the Firearms Act to reduce the number of guns in the state.
  • Mr McGowan did not disclose specific reforms but said licenses should only be held by people with 'legitimate reasons'.
  • The reforms are expected to be implemented later this year in an effort to prevent incidents like the recent school shooting.
What are your thoughts on this issue? Do you think further reforms will bring positive change? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Pondering this situation has brought me to the world of gaming and super violent movies..etc.
It disturbs me to see some of the games that kids play incorporating firearms, blood lust and just plain violence.
I am hearing more and more on the news about young people involved in violent crime, gang mentality and robbery with violence.
Could the root of this evil stem from over exposure to these things that make their adrenalin pump.
When my boys were teens, I ruled with an iron fist regarding video games and their pass times. They turned out pretty OK and are passing on the disciplines to their kids.
It saddens me to think that the tolerance levels of parents has possibly slipped through the cracks.
Today is a whole new ball game.
Unfortunately in this world of today you get into trouble for any discipline you give to kids, apparently you will squash their spirit, that would have to be the biggest load of b/s I have ever heard. Kids who grew up in the 50's, 60's, 70's, where taught to respect people and everyone is entitled to an opinion, that has all gone out the window, it is open slather for disrespect and thumbing your nose at authority, I'm glad that I won't be around to see the next generation the world is going to be a very different place.

Reactions: MariaG