Virgin Australia passenger faces $800 nightmare for 'early' check-in closure

Navigating the complexities of air travel can sometimes lead to unintended and costly consequences.

This was the experience of a 64-year-old frequent flyer who found himself significantly out of pocket after a series of miscommunications with Virgin Australia.

Max Cameron, a Tasmanian who regularly commutes to Melbourne for work, found himself stranded and significantly out of pocket due to what seemed to be a communication mishap on Virgin's part.

'I got a text and an email from Virgin saying, very sorry to let you know your plane has been delayed by 45 minutes,' he recalled.

shutterstock_2428740821.jpg
A Virgin Australia passenger was left $800 out of pocket due to an alleged miscommunication. Image source: Shutterstock.

'I thought, well done Virgin. You've come through…you've let me know when I have to be there. And as a result, I got out to the airport at 9:25pm for a 9:45pm closure of check-in.'

Despite receiving an alert informing him of a flight delay and a subsequent change in the check-in deadline, Max reportedly arrived at a deserted check-in desk with no staff to assist, and he missed his flight.

Max had no other choice but to buy another ticket for the following day and pay for accommodation and additional transport costs, which all added up to $800.

'I was very annoyed about that, but I had no choice…check-in closed early,' he said.

When he contacted Virgin Australia's customer service, he was informed that he was required to arrive 30 minutes before the original departure time, a different instruction from the one he received in the revised departure time email.

Despite Max’s pleas, the customer service team refused to provide compensation and closed his enquiry.

'I got a note back saying, “Sorry, Mr Cameron, you didn't arrive prior to the check-in time closing…we called for last cases and you didn't present,”' he shared.

Virgin Australia was contacted for further information and it is understood that Max may have received incorrect information in the email.

Max has been in contact with the airline since the mishap and is hopeful that he will be reimbursed for his out-of-pocket expenses.

He also expressed his disappointment over having to go through such lengths just to evoke a response from the airline.

'It's not the money but the lack of accountability... there is no service mentality anymore,' Max said.

'What Virgin has done to me is just so wrong.'

A recent report by the Bureau of Infrastructure and Transport Research Economics revealed that Virgin Australia cancelled 5.4 per cent of the 11,026 domestic flights flown in January—the highest in the country and significantly higher than the number of cancellations from Jetstar and Qantas.
Key Takeaways
  • Max Cameron, a frequent flyer, was $800 out of pocket after missing his flight due to closed check-in counters at Launceston airport.
  • Virgin Australia had informed him of a flight delay by 45 minutes and provided revised check-in closure times, which he adhered to.
  • Upon inquiry, Virgin Australia customer service initially denied compensation, citing Cameron's failure to arrive before the original departure time.
  • After further communication, it was acknowledged that Cameron may have received incorrect information from Virgin Australia, and he is in discussions for reimbursement of his additional costs.
What are your thoughts on this incident? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Don't say, "Nice" say, "Disgraceful". That is the new Virgin advertisement, isn't it?

Reactions: Iggydi
Ok let's get this straight the guy is supposed to be a "seasoned traveller yet he turns up 25 minutes before his flight..have NO sympathy when airlines clearly state domestic 1 hour before departure and international 2 hours. This guy is just a sook and wants sympathy!

I'm sure that having travelled interstate regularly that he is aware that domestic flights are rarely on time so you never assume to leave check-in so late. The email is to inform him of the later departure in the event of arrangements that need altering at the other end and not changing the check-in time. If he adhered to the regular information given as a minimum 1 hour check-in before departure then he would have been alright. Suppose he time is so precious that he can't spare that time.

Reactions: terri and Iggydi
I'm sure that having travelled interstate regularly that he is aware that domestic flights are rarely on time so you never assume to leave check-in so late. The email is to inform him of the later departure in the event of arrangements that need altering at the other end and not changing the check-in time. If he adhered to the regular information given as a minimum 1 hour check-in before departure then he would have been alright. Suppose he time is so precious that he can't spare that time.
They admitted the email contained wrong info.

Ok let's get this straight the guy is supposed to be a "seasoned traveller yet he turns up 25 minutes before his flight..have NO sympathy when airlines clearly state domestic 1 hour before departure and international 2 hours. This guy is just a sook and wants sympathy!
Rarely 1 hour in Tassie. We don't have long lines at security.

Isn't that the point? He was a seasoned traveller from that airport so he knew the 1 hour rule is rarely adhered to.

Reactions: Iggydi