Vintage-loving couple says old-fashioned love will never go out of style!

Vintage-loving couple says old-fashioned love will never go out of style!
Modern-day dating has drastically changed how young people perceive love. The advent of technology and the introduction of online dating — where single people use apps for meeting and mingling — have made finding a match something that can be done from the comfort of your own lounge room.

While it can't be denied that a large portion of today’s youth are on these apps to find love, one British couple has defied modern technology to prove that old-fashioned love has never gone out of style!

Ruth Shelley and Robert Oestmann, who both live in West Midlands, England, share a love for everything vintage — old-fashioned clothing, wartime music from their gramophone, vintage car, and vintage home interior.

b8as5ruRefD8_UYCGY_Gu4meJ6uM1O33JzU-0hjM42WeN4kPIQW6MxLjJ8mHQbUXiDmkn7hHlhRLSnEIlcAt43FnYvfydU__xGP3blMeoJZE7amSk2BhwM9GljZbLpBC2Yo58Vw

British couple Ruth Shelley and Robert Oestmann refused to own a TV to remain on-brand with their love for everything vintage. Credit: Instagram/@vintage.robb.

The couple said that although people tend to turn their heads whenever they see them in their old-fashioned outfits walking down the street, their vintage lifestyle has a beneficial impact on their relationship.

“Robert and I dress like this all of the time as we are in love with the style. Robert mainly wears a suit and flat cap whereas I may wear clothing from the 1930s to 1940s,” says Ruth, a 28-year-old historian.

“This style isn't something you could wear if you are shy as we do get stared at a lot. We don't mind at all and it's often positive feedback.”

j77tdYTI45w_rg3nweKNb09F1v8Tost5ebtYBTxWwXJcS1GZcnru7sQO6hhVqxyT5CP3gBTaykSt5ZMOZ3vgG8d1kFUcLbOlMwxGbtBn0vpaIt17xeHUc3S1ERIaU-SbuSiPGPw

The couple said that although people have been turning their heads when they see them on the streets, their vintage lifestyle has forced them to live in the present. Credit: Instagram/@ladyadepha.

Robert, a 27-year-old whiskey salesman, admitted that his inspiration for following this lifestyle comes from watching old films and reading old books with his grandparents when he was a kid.

He also revealed that he often tries experimenting in the kitchen, trying out recipes that date back to the 1700s.

Ruth said: “In our spare time, we read, talk or Robert cooks and I help. We have a few original cookbooks which are interesting from a historical point of view.”

The couple said that some of the vintage dishes that they love include the Depression Era Meat Loaf from 1938 and traditional Welsh cakes.

“For us, this lifestyle works best and is beneficial for our relationships. It works for us as we are present in the moment as opposed to glued to Netflix or on our phones,” Ruth said.

If you’re keen on trying to make these traditional dishes, here’s a video tutorial on how to make them!

1938 Depression Era Meat Loaf

Credit: YouTube/Glenn and Friends Cooking

Traditional Welsh cakes

Credit: BBC

Which traditional practice would you like to bring back to modern times? Share them with us in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
Each to their own. I don't have the bottle to carry off something like this although I must admit I do admire the way that the material used in these dresses draped and flattered the figure.

I think that the play equipment we had should make a return. Let kids climb on a Jungle Jim, slide down a high Slippery Dip, swing on a rope with a wooden seat attached to a high branch and go as high as they can, wade in a creek, all those things and more. The playgrounds I see today are all rubber coated, small, and I don't think give a child the sense of adventure (and danger) we had. Taking risks, falling down, getting wet through from falling in a creek, I think anyway made us more resilient.

Retro-anything in clothing looks good and fashionable only on the younger person. Any one who remembers it the first time it was fashionable is too old to wear it. The old adage holds trues: "If you remember it first time round then you are too old for it second time round."

I am an old codger now and have always hated throwing clothes away and still often grab something old to wear. This works best in winter as men's winter gear has never gone out of fashion.

Oh where are those beautiful pure leather tomato red slingback slim heeled shoes that I purchased nearly 60 years ago. I have many a time regretted throwing them into the charity bag when the platform shoes came into fashion. I guess they wouldn't be any good for my feet now as they seem to have grown from the neat sweet matching tooties I used to have.