Victorian woman shares alternative for fresh herbs: “Looks great”

Using fresh herbs is an excellent way of adding lots of flavour and freshness to your favourite dish. Their bright, healthy green colour and savoury aroma can turn any dish you prepare into an authentic sensory experience.

But unfortunately, fresh herbs (and most garden ingredients) have relatively short shelf lives, and trying to keep those herbs at their peak freshness for longer than a few days may seem difficult or even impossible. Then you end up throwing away a lot of the unused ingredients, contributing to unnecessary food waste and money down the drain.

Thankfully, one woman from Victoria shared her nifty find on Aldi shelves, which just might be the solution that herb lovers everywhere have been looking for.

_wqso8gbCtf9i9ydr3uq6t8WoEMD1BWxe-258WF2HrSrGy_bqwifZn5giAIEHUThvxn3MjdgTLmc6YZeh3GEb9ioKKyBBueqHNOTRwKCR2Mx8l_ImX9QlVrvrukzrzc9CMqAX5PR

Pikt&Chopt herb pouches are available for $2.99 in Aldi. Credit: Yahoo! Lifestyle.

“Found these yesterday in the jar section! These little pouches were about $1.20ish and have 75g of product in them,” Sofia posted on an Aldi Facebook page, along with photos of Pikt&Chopt herb pouches.

“These are perfect if you don't go through enough of the herbs/flavours to buy them weekly, and I do prefer these over the dried versions from Coles because they have a lot more flavour,” she added.

“I've used them in a beef chilli basil stir fry and also a chicken tikka masala.”

Instead of using fresh herbs which wilt quickly, herb pouches allow home cooks to use fresh ingredients for longer. Each herb pouch may be stored in the pantry for twelve months until ready for use, and once opened, they can last up to thirty days.

The Australian-owned company Pikt&Chopt also ensures that only ingredients of the best quality are used in their herb pouches, going as far as importing them from a farming collective in Vietnam.

The herb pouches are gluten-free, non-GMO, Kosher certified, and can be used in a wide variety of dishes such as pizza, pasta, soups, and sauces, having the same serving size as their freshly chopped counterparts.

Sofia’s post gained a lot of attention from several Facebook users; some are fond of using the herb pouches, while some have never seen the products before.

“I’ve never seen them before. I think they will be great. I’m going to buy some. I prefer the pastes over the dried version too. Thank you for sharing,” wrote one person.

Another commented: “Looks great and cheaper than the tube ones. I use my tube ones directly from the freezer; they don’t freeze solid and last longer in the freezer. Wonder if these would be the same?”

“l hadn't thought of freezing them. Thanks. Great idea,” another user responded.

Due to how the herb pouches look, some mums even joked that they could easily be mistaken for a kid’s snack, with one saying: “Haha, imagine sticking these in the kid’s lunch boxes by mistake.”

A teacher and fellow member of the Facebook group responded, stating that an incident like the one described has indeed happened before.

“I had a kid at work bring the garlic one. He was halfway through before he said, 'this yoghurt is very spicy',” she recalled. “It was pretty funny. He wanted to finish it, though. It definitely got his digestion moving.”

However, if you are a real lover of fresh green herbs taken straight from the ground, and you would like to keep them staying fresher for longer, check out this video courtesy of the experts at 'Home & Garden for Mere Mortals'.

These herb pouches look like the ultimate way to add that finishing touch to any dish! Do you know any recipes you would like to use these in? Or do you have any other herb storage tips? Share them with us below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Shmiko58 and MarieT
Sponsored
Why are we promoting buying products from over-seas that we can grow here, growing your own herbs is very easy as well, storing is also easy if you take the time, the video shown above is a good example of how. sorry but not buying products produced over seas has become a thing of mine since I found jars and cans with fruit from china on the label, why!!

Victorian woman shares alternative for fresh herbs: “Looks great”

Using fresh herbs is an excellent way of adding lots of flavour and freshness to your favourite dish. Their bright, healthy green colour and savoury aroma can turn any dish you prepare into an authentic sensory experience.

But unfortunately, fresh herbs (and most garden ingredients) have relatively short shelf lives, and trying to keep those herbs at their peak freshness for longer than a few days may seem difficult or even impossible. Then you end up throwing away a lot of the unused ingredients, contributing to unnecessary food waste and money down the drain.

Thankfully, one woman from Victoria shared her nifty find on Aldi shelves, which just might be the solution that herb lovers everywhere have been looking for.

_wqso8gbCtf9i9ydr3uq6t8WoEMD1BWxe-258WF2HrSrGy_bqwifZn5giAIEHUThvxn3MjdgTLmc6YZeh3GEb9ioKKyBBueqHNOTRwKCR2Mx8l_ImX9QlVrvrukzrzc9CMqAX5PR

Pikt&Chopt herb pouches are available for $2.99 in Aldi. Credit: Yahoo! Lifestyle.

“Found these yesterday in the jar section! These little pouches were about $1.20ish and have 75g of product in them,” Sofia posted on an Aldi Facebook page, along with photos of Pikt&Chopt herb pouches.

“These are perfect if you don't go through enough of the herbs/flavours to buy them weekly, and I do prefer these over the dried versions from Coles because they have a lot more flavour,” she added.

“I've used them in a beef chilli basil stir fry and also a chicken tikka masala.”

Instead of using fresh herbs which wilt quickly, herb pouches allow home cooks to use fresh ingredients for longer. Each herb pouch may be stored in the pantry for twelve months until ready for use, and once opened, they can last up to thirty days.

The Australian-owned company Pikt&Chopt also ensures that only ingredients of the best quality are used in their herb pouches, going as far as importing them from a farming collective in Vietnam.

The herb pouches are gluten-free, non-GMO, Kosher certified, and can be used in a wide variety of dishes such as pizza, pasta, soups, and sauces, having the same serving size as their freshly chopped counterparts.

Sofia’s post gained a lot of attention from several Facebook users; some are fond of using the herb pouches, while some have never seen the products before.

“I’ve never seen them before. I think they will be great. I’m going to buy some. I prefer the pastes over the dried version too. Thank you for sharing,” wrote one person.

Another commented: “Looks great and cheaper than the tube ones. I use my tube ones directly from the freezer; they don’t freeze solid and last longer in the freezer. Wonder if these would be the same?”

“l hadn't thought of freezing them. Thanks. Great idea,” another user responded.

Due to how the herb pouches look, some mums even joked that they could easily be mistaken for a kid’s snack, with one saying: “Haha, imagine sticking these in the kid’s lunch boxes by mistake.”

A teacher and fellow member of the Facebook group responded, stating that an incident like the one described has indeed happened before.

“I had a kid at work bring the garlic one. He was halfway through before he said, 'this yoghurt is very spicy',” she recalled. “It was pretty funny. He wanted to finish it, though. It definitely got his digestion moving.”

However, if you are a real lover of fresh green herbs taken straight from the ground, and you would like to keep them staying fresher for longer, check out this video courtesy of the experts at 'Home & Garden for Mere Mortals'.

These herb pouches look like the ultimate way to add that finishing touch to any dish! Do you know any recipes you would like to use these in? Or do you have any other herb storage tips? Share them with us below!

I bought some today. They are not $1.20ish, they are $2.00ish. I thought they would be good for camping or caravaning.