Veteran radio icon Ron E Sparks dies at 72

The Australian radio landscape lost one of its most iconic voices, as veteran radio presenter Ron E Sparks passed away at 72 years old.

Sparks' death left a void in the hearts of listeners and colleagues alike.

Born Gregory James Sparks, his wit, warmth, and unmistakable timbre graced the airwaves, making him one of the most iconic radio presenters in Sydney.

WSFM hosts Brendan 'Jonesy' Jones and Amanda Keller took to social media to share the news about Sparks's death.

'We are devastated to announce the heartbreaking news of the passing of former WSFM announcer Ron E Sparks,' they wrote in a post.

'We used to lament that radio announcers used to be big deals, then all of a sudden it got taken over by celebrity real estate [agents] and chefs,' Jones shared.

'So, for tribute to Ron E Sparks, one of the greatest radio announcers in the history of the world, he needs to be made a big deal of.'

compressed-ron sparks.jpeg
Ron E Sparks was a staple in Australian radio for about five decades. Image Credit: WSFM 101.7

His 50-year radio career made him a staple at several Sydney radio stations, including 2SM, 2UW, Triple M, and Today FM. He worked with WSFM until 2017.

He has had a profound influence on the industry and helped shape Australian radio for many generations.

Outside radio, Spark was behind the iconic voice behind the popular TV game show Wheel of Fortune.

His passing met an outpouring of tributes from former colleagues and fans who remembered him fondly.

Ben Fordham of 2GB shared his sentiments about Sparks.

'A great man died today,' Fordham said on a social media post.

'Ron E Sparks was a talented radio host and a fine man.'

Fordham, who was neighbours with Sparks, spoke of his sharp mind and gentle character.

He revealed that Sparks battled cancer privately for 15 years.

Another longtime colleague, 2UE Breakfast host Trevor Sinclair, expressed his shock and sadness at the news.

'The man took me from 2SM to 2UW in 1979, where I remained for the following 21 years,' Sinclair wrote.
'We will miss you, Ron E.; an awesome workmate and a beautiful neighbour,' former journalist Jodie Speers shared in a tribute to Ron posted on social media.

'I've listened to Ron since 2Day FM in the mornings with Wendy Harmer and Peter Moon. This is so sad,' a fan said.

Ron E Sparks' passing marked the end of an era for Australian radio.

His voice was more than just a part of the daily routine; it was a comforting and familiar presence that could turn any day into something special.

As we reflect on his remarkable career and the joy he brought to listeners, his impact will always be remembered.
Key Takeaways

• Veteran radio presenter Ron E Sparks passed away at the age of 72.
  • Tributes from his former colleagues poured in to remember him and his contributions to the radio industry.
  • Ron E Sparks had a distinguished 50-year career in broadcasting, working at notable Sydney radio stations, including 2SM, 2UW, Triple M, and Today FM.
  • 2GB presenter Ben Fordham later revealed that Sparks battled cancer privately for 15 years.
Ron E Sparks may have signed off the airwaves, but his legacy will continue to resonate with us all.

May he rest in peace.

Sponsored
I despise (strong word, I know) the way "clickbait" story titles are used here. Seniors ought to be discouraged from "clicking to find out who died", rather than having to do so to find out who died. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make your story links MUCH more descriptive of the storyline, so that we seniors don't get into the habit of "clicking to find out". Thanks.

I despise (strong word, I know) the way "clickbait" story titles are used here. Seniors ought to be discouraged from "clicking to find out who died", rather than having to do so to find out who died. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make your story links MUCH more descriptive of the storyline, so that we seniors don't get into the habit of "clicking to find out". Thanks.
At least I've heard of AND heard Ron E. Sparks on 2SM when I was a schoolkid. To think he was only seven years older than me. He must have been a schoolkid himself when he started out.

Better than hearing about some two bit Hollywood actor that "starred" in a B grade movie by having a two line dialog in a obscure part.

I never know how my posts will be published. I am also known as "Novezar" in other previous postings.

We had a computer crash last thursday & had to buy new equipment. Tower & power surge board, then had to be fully re programmed. So that may well be the answer "?"

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
At least I've heard of AND heard Ron E. Sparks on 2SM when I was a schoolkid. To think he was only seven years older than me. He must have been a schoolkid himself when he started out.

Better than hearing about some two bit Hollywood actor that "starred" in a B grade movie by having a two line dialog in an obscure part.
I thought you enjoyed watching B grade movies @Veggiepatch 😉

I actually think for ince the header was clear n correct.

Alot of people have heard and live Ron e sparks.

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
I always listened to Ron E Sparks on 2sm when I was a teenager. I remember speaking to him on air a few times when I requested songs 🎵 My how times have changed.

I actually learnt something today I always thought his name was Ronnie Sparks but it's Ron E Sparks.

Rest in peace 🙏 Ron E Sparks my thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Thanks for the memories and a time when radio was different