Vegan slams chocolate snack for its ‘potentially deadly’ labelling: ‘I felt awful’

Dietary requirements are not just a matter of preference—they can be a matter of life and death. That’s why accurate food labelling is paramount.

Wallaby Foods, a beloved Australian brand known for its vegan treats, is learning this lesson the hard way.

The brand has been criticised for what many call 'potentially deadly' mixed messaging on its packaging, which left consumers confused and concerned.

Elena Filipczyk, a vegan who also suffers from anaphylaxis and a dairy allergy, shared her distressing experience with Wallaby Foods' products.

Despite the packaging of their cookie dough bites proudly proclaiming 'always vegan’, Filipczyk suffered a reaction that she suspected was due to the presence of dairy.

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 10.58.02 AM.png
Elena Filipczyk criticised Wallaby Foods for its ‘potentially deadly’ mixed messaging on its packages. Credit: Elena Filipczyck

‘When I bought it [the cookie dough bites], I obviously thought it was vegan, so I thought it was safe,’ she said.

‘I always read the ingredients just to make sure. But then, within the hour, I had a really bad stomachache and took some pretty strong antihistamines, which is kind of the step before using an Epipen.’

‘I felt awful for the rest of the night. I went to bed early and was thankfully fine. But yeah, I definitely think there was dairy, whether it was intentional or accidental,’ she added.

The dark chocolate thins from Wallaby Foods stated 'vegan' on the front but contradicted themselves on the back with a 'contains milk/dairy' warning.

In September 2023, Wallaby's Cookie Dough Bites were recalled after traces of dairy were found despite the vegan label.

Mark Stephan, COO of Byron Bay Superfoods Company, which produces Wallaby Foods, has stated that ‘we take the labelling requirements of all our products very seriously.’

‘Both our Wallaby thins and Wallaby Cookie Dough Bites satisfy a vegan preference as there is actually no milk in the chocolate,’ Stephan added.

‘We ensure with best endeavours that the Wallaby thins and Wallaby cookie dough bites have no animal solids...the chocolate that we purchase for the thins and bites has no milk in the product.’

However, the supplier's facility processes milk chocolate, leading to a 'may contain milk' clause due to the risk of cross-contamination.

In response to the backlash, Wallaby Foods is ‘in the process of manufacturing the product where the vegan statement from the pack has been removed and leaving the milk solids in the ingredients’.

‘We would prefer to leave the milk solids in the ingredients as a safety precaution,’ he said.

‘The cookie dough bites product has been selling well since its product recall in September 2023, and we do not believe the recall is related to this specific labelling matter.’

Filipczyk warned that companies must pay close attention to what ingredients they use in their products.

‘I think that's really misleading for a company that has both dairy and non-dairy or vegan and non-vegan products, having a label that says "always vegan",’ she said.

‘It's really misleading, and either way, they just need to be super upfront. For both medical and non-medical reasons. I think it's easy for companies to forget that [being vegan] is not always a choice for some people; it's a medical necessity as well.’
Key Takeaways
  • A vegan and dairy-intolerant woman suffered a reaction, suspecting dairy was present in a Wallaby Foods product despite it being labelled vegan.
  • Wallaby Foods was accused of misleading packaging on its products, raising concerns within the vegan community.
  • The COO of Byron Bay Superfoods Company, which produces Wallaby Foods, stated that they take product labelling requirements seriously and are revising their packaging to avoid future confusion.
  • The incident emphasised the importance of accurate labelling for consumers who avoid certain ingredients for ethical or medical reasons.
Have you ever encountered misleading labels, or do you have tips for navigating products for people with food allergies and dietary preferences? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Well all this proves is most companies don't care. I am not vegan and never will be but for those who choose it they should be guaranteed no animal products in what they buy. Also the statement about what's on the label, the current issue is Chitin. This is in the new cricket flour being put into everything they can get it into. But they don't have to put it on the label. I'm waiting to see how things pan out when someone dies from anaphylactic shock. Chitin is in shell fish and causes allergic reactions sometimes very serious

Oh wow how deranged is this woman..she didn't even check tha ingredients list..she JUST ASSUMED because it said vegan it was ok! Well for someone who had allergies I do check..I believe this was HER OWN FAULT! she should have checked!!
Well all this proves is most companies don't care. I am not vegan and never will be but for those who choose it they should be guaranteed no animal products in what they buy. Also the statement about what's on the label, the current issue is Chitin. This is in the new cricket flour being put into everything they can get it into. But they don't have to put it on the label. I'm waiting to see how things pan out when someone dies from anaphylactic shock. Chitin is in shell fish and causes allergic reactions sometimes very serious

Oh wow how deranged is this woman..she didn't even check tha ingredients list..she JUST ASSUMED because it said vegan it was ok! Well for someone who had allergies I do check..I believe this was HER OWN FAULT! she should have checked!!
Forcing us to eat insects???? Like they're forcing us to consume aspartame by ensuring most supermarket soft drink aisles and quite a few take-away outlets contain mostly 'no sugar' items. MY BODY, MY CHOICE! And I agree, anyone with a food allergy or intolerance should be checking labels, at least until they're sure there's no nasties in there. Go back to when we had no idea what was in the food, no thanks!

@Hel I have anaphalsis as well due to allergies and if YOU read the story you would see she STATED SHE ASSUMED...why would you even do that???

@Hel I have anaphalsis as well due to allergies and if YOU read the story you would see she STATED SHE ASSUMED...why would you even do that???
anaphylaxis is CAUSED by the allergy, IT'S not a separate disease.