Vegan shoppers ‘outraged’ over Bega’s new plant-based venture

Bega, an Australian dairy brand, now offers plant-based cheese for the first time in its 124-year history.

This new product has been introduced by Coles and is said to be specifically made to cater to the needs of vegan shoppers. However, the launch has now become the subject of scrutiny after it has created a rift among a group of people who think that Bega is taking advantage of the booming plant-based market.

Recently, Coles has caused quite a rift within a certain group of shoppers after launching a new product that has been seen as the supermarket chain ‘taking advantage’ of the vegan market.

Bega’s plant-based versions of shredded and sliced cheddar cheese were discovered by shoppers at a local Coles in Queensland’s Gold Coast this week. This comes as part of the company’s plan to make its products more accessible to people who follow a plant-based diet.

Photos of the products were shared online, which sparked a fierce divide among shoppers.

Many said they were happy about the new option, but others were upset that it would make their trip to the dairy aisle ‘even more confusing’.

‘It's not cheese. Call it something else if it isn't dairy,’ one man complained after seeing the sliced and shredded range in the store.

cheese1.jpg
The new product caused a divide among shoppers. Credit: NastyaSensei/Pexels

Vegans, in particular, were upset because they felt that the company was taking up market space – one even urged Bega to ‘stay out of it’.

‘Stay out of it, Bega. Leave some space in the market for smaller companies,’ they wrote.

Another took issue with the company being funded by the dairy industry, which they claimed meant Bega was only concerned about expanding profits and not animal welfare.

The upset shopper wrote: ‘I try not to support companies that also make animal-derived products as their ethics are not in alignment with my vegan ethics. Whether the product itself is vegan or not, the company isn’t (especially a giant dairy product producer like Bega).’

Another pointed out that Bega makes cow milk cheese aside from plant-based cheddar. ‘You can’t erase 90 per cent of this company’s morals just because they want to cash in on a market they are missing out on. There are other companies that are way more ethical that deserve your money,’ they added.

Others have complained that the cheeses are priced higher than Bega’s dairy offerings while also being more expensive than other vegan cheeses.

One pointed out that both 200g packs of shredded and sliced cheese were advertised for $8.50. Meanwhile, the normal 250g shredded and sliced cheese variety costs $7.00 in Coles online store.

cheese2.jpg
Bega’s plant-based cheese variety costs more than the natural variety. Credit: Facebook

‘I can understand why vegan alternatives from vegan companies cost more because it is a niche market, but big businesses like this should not be charging $1.50 more than their dairy cheese for 50g less. Just more price gouging,’ one replied.

The vegan products were also described as a ‘rip-off’ compared to other brands.

‘What a rip-off. I will continue to buy Sheese as it is $2 cheaper and my favourite,’ one wrote.

‘It’s a shame all the vegan cheeses are so expensive,’ another added.

At the same time, someone else suggested that this was a ‘tactical move’ for the dairy company as they recently recorded profits being down 74 per cent in the half-yearly financial results.

Revenue was up 11 per cent to $1.67 billion; earnings were down by 26 per cent during this time last year.

‘The dairy industry seems to be taking an “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em” approach,’ another responded.

On the other side of the coin, many said they were happy to see another company taking steps to offer a dairy-free option.

‘The market is getting bigger and bigger; it’s so good to see,’ one replied.

‘Really curious to see how it tastes,’ someone else commented.

At the time of its release, Matt Gray, the General Manager of Marketing at Bega Foods, said the company’s expertise in the cheese-making business places them in the ‘best possible position to make an appealing substitute’.

‘We have credentials in cheese making, and we’re excited to leverage this knowledge and expertise to create a great tasting dairy-free range under the Bega brand,’ Mr Gray declared.

The brand’s Marketing Manager, Niamh Farrell, also stated: ‘Bega’s Plant-Based Cheese range has undergone sensory testing to create a smooth, creamy, cheese-style product that delivers on texture and taste.’

Ms Farell added that the newest offering was ‘proudly in line with the quality of Bega’s great portfolio of products that our consumers know and love’.

A spokesperson for Coles said adding plant-based products was one of the ways the supermarket was meeting the growing demand of the public.

‘We have a growing number of customers choosing to purchase vegan and meat-alternative products, and we are working hard to continue to expand that range to meet their demands,’ the spokesperson told reporters.
Key Takeaways
  • The launch of a plant-based cheese product in Coles caused a rift among vegan shoppers.
  • Some shoppers were upset that the company was taking up market space and cashing in on the vegan market, while others welcomed the new option.
  • The product’s price raised concerns, with some comparing it to other vegan products and calling it a ‘rip off’.
  • Bega said the product was 'proudly in line with the quality of Bega’s great portfolio of products that our consumers know and love', and Coles said it was meeting the public’s growing desire for plant-based options.
Members, where do you stand when it comes to Bega's new plant-based cheese? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
This sort of thing makes me so angry. I don't mind that some folk don't want to eat or drink animal products, that's their choice. Don't however choose to still call your concoctions the same as the animal products and don't use the same or very similar packaging. I don't see why it should be me scouring the shelves and reading every packet to ensure I don't get the pretend stuff by accident. Maybe the stores will soon have to make a section specifically for vegan produce to ensure purchasing mishaps don't occur.

Bega shouldn't be calling it 'cheese', as it's not made from milk.

The same thing happens with Soy milk, Coconut milk etc. It's NOT milk, so stop calling it 'Milk".

I get really annoyed when I'm shopping and I have to read every label to make sure I buy genuine food products, not the manufactured stuff.

Oh, Dear Lord..... Vegans: Get over yourselves. It is up to all the various non-dairy quasi-cheesemakers to formulate and profitably market their own products on their own merits, competing with every other company in the same field.
So Bega(n?) wants to make both Cow and Cow-free products? Good luck to them. Unlike the Venetian prostitute who tried to work both sides of the street, Bega will not drown by doing this apparent double-act.

Wonder what ingredients it contains. Probably coconut, as it's always in dairy free products.
Not for me.
Bega sells lactose free tasty cheese slices, which in fact has identical ingredients as their normal tasty cheese slices. Just a marketing ploy that costs more. Being lactose intolerant, I can eat their normal tasty cheese.

Bega, an Australian dairy brand, now offers plant-based cheese for the first time in its 124-year history.

This new product has been introduced by Coles and is said to be specifically made to cater to the needs of vegan shoppers. However, the launch has now become the subject of scrutiny after it has created a rift among a group of people who think that Bega is taking advantage of the booming plant-based market.

Recently, Coles has caused quite a rift within a certain group of shoppers after launching a new product that has been seen as the supermarket chain ‘taking advantage’ of the vegan market.

Bega’s plant-based versions of shredded and sliced cheddar cheese were discovered by shoppers at a local Coles in Queensland’s Gold Coast this week. This comes as part of the company’s plan to make its products more accessible to people who follow a plant-based diet.

Photos of the products were shared online, which sparked a fierce divide among shoppers.

Many said they were happy about the new option, but others were upset that it would make their trip to the dairy aisle ‘even more confusing’.

‘It's not cheese. Call it something else if it isn't dairy,’ one man complained after seeing the sliced and shredded range in the store.

View attachment 15763

Vegans, in particular, were upset because they felt that the company was taking up market space – one even urged Bega to ‘stay out of it’.

‘Stay out of it, Bega. Leave some space in the market for smaller companies,’ they wrote.

Another took issue with the company being funded by the dairy industry, which they claimed meant Bega was only concerned about expanding profits and not animal welfare.

The upset shopper wrote: ‘I try not to support companies that also make animal-derived products as their ethics are not in alignment with my vegan ethics. Whether the product itself is vegan or not, the company isn’t (especially a giant dairy product producer like Bega).’

Another pointed out that Bega makes cow milk cheese aside from plant-based cheddar. ‘You can’t erase 90 per cent of this company’s morals just because they want to cash in on a market they are missing out on. There are other companies that are way more ethical that deserve your money,’ they added.

Others have complained that the cheeses are priced higher than Bega’s dairy offerings while also being more expensive than other vegan cheeses.

One pointed out that both 200g packs of shredded and sliced cheese were advertised for $8.50. Meanwhile, the normal 250g shredded and sliced cheese variety costs $7.00 in Coles online store.

View attachment 15764
Bega’s plant-based cheese variety costs more than the natural variety. Credit: Facebook

‘I can understand why vegan alternatives from vegan companies cost more because it is a niche market, but big businesses like this should not be charging $1.50 more than their dairy cheese for 50g less. Just more price gouging,’ one replied.

‘What a rip-off. I will continue to buy Sheese as it is $2 cheaper and my favourite,’ one wrote.

At the same time, someone else suggested that this was a ‘tactical move’ for the dairy company as they recently recorded profits being down 74 per cent in the half-yearly financial results.

Revenue was up 11 per cent to $1.67 billion; earnings were down by 26 per cent during this time last year.

‘The dairy industry seems to be taking an “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em” approach,’ another responded.

On the other side of the coin, many said they were happy to see another company taking steps to offer a dairy-free option.

At the time of its release, Matt Gray, the General Manager of Marketing at Bega Foods, said the company’s expertise in the cheese-making business places them in the ‘best possible position to make an appealing substitute’.

‘We have credentials in cheese making, and we’re excited to leverage this knowledge and expertise to create a great tasting dairy-free range under the Bega brand,’ Mr Gray declared.

The brand’s Marketing Manager, Niamh Farrell, also stated: ‘Bega’s Plant-Based Cheese range has undergone sensory testing to create a smooth, creamy, cheese-style product that delivers on texture and taste.’

Ms Farell added that the newest offering was ‘proudly in line with the quality of Bega’s great portfolio of products that our consumers know and love’.

A spokesperson for Coles said adding plant-based products was one of the ways the supermarket was meeting the growing demand of the public.

‘We have a growing number of customers choosing to purchase vegan and meat-alternative products, and we are working hard to continue to expand that range to meet their demands,’ the spokesperson told reporters.
Key Takeaways

• The launch of a plant-based cheese product in Coles caused a rift among vegan shoppers.
  • Some shoppers were upset that the company was taking up market space and cashing in on the vegan market, while others welcomed the new option.
  • The product’s price raised concerns, with some comparing it to other vegan products and calling it a ‘rip off’.
  • Bega said the product was 'proudly in line with the quality of Bega’s great portfolio of products that our consumers know and love', and Coles said it was meeting the public’s growing desire for plant-based options.
Members, where do you stand when it comes to Bega's new plant-based cheese? Let us know in the comments!
Outrageous! Doing farmers oit of business, forcing prices down i'm betting & YUK anyway, jus not the same taste either!

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 15763

View attachment 15764

Key Takeaways

If products aren't made of genuine meat or dairy or any other product it should be illegal to infer that they aren't' made of nonstated aren't product, If I but a pork or beef sausages roll, the I expect it to be made of the stated product.

I love cheese so will probably buy a packet and try it. My daughter is vegan so she will try it. As for the higher price, every company that caters for a special diet, such as coeliac, gluten free, vegan, charge more for these products, just look at arnotts gluten free biscuit range.

Why must these people always want to have the same thing people that like proper food have? 🙄

This company is doing them a favour with this tasteless stuff and they still complain.🙄 They need to find their own names for everything. This isn't proper cheese. The same with their so called "sausages" and "burgers".
And they can stop telling other people what they can or can't eat!!!🤬

Reactions: Ricci and Lucinda
I have been a vegetarian from a very young age and unfortunately can now no longer tolerate dairy. To read what some of you have written made me feel angry. I suggest you "walk a mile in another persons shoes" before you complain and criticize. To all of you who have the choice of "proper" food, be Thankful you're not in their shoes.

Reactions: Alexia and Ricci
I’m not vegan however I have tried some products that are plant based & they are really nice. just because your not a vegan doesn’t mean you need to avoid these items, give them a go you will be surprised with some of them.
I totally agree that they should be at a more affordable cost considering now days the rising cost of everythin.

Reactions: Ricci and Discodiva

View attachment 15763

View attachment 15764

Key Takeaways

Milk has always been plant based, cows eat grass then turn it into milk , the factory changes milk into cheese and butter, so milk and cheese is vegan, every body (well most)people eat cheese and drink milk.