Vanilla Cupcakes Vegan

I made all the deserts for my daughters 30th birthday BBQ yesterday and made these as well as strawberry ones for the grandkids with allergies.
If you dont want to use the frosting, just sift a little ucing sugar on top or leave them plain

These cake were delicious and didn't taste vegan .
Recipe by Nora Cook

Make 12 muffin size cakes or 18 cupcake size

Screenshot_20230828_091921_Gallery.jpg

Ingredients​

• 1 1/2 cups 375mls oat milk (or use another non-dairy milk)
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 2 3/4 cups cake flour ( see below)
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup melted vegan butter
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Instructions​

• Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C or 160 C fan-forced. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with patty cases
  • Combine the oat milk and lemon juice in a measuring cup or bowl, give a little stir and set aside for a few minutes
  • In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until combined.
  • Now pour in the milk/lemon mixture, melted vegan butter and vanilla. Whisk until well combined. There may be a few small lumps, but you don't want any large lumps in the batter.
  • Fill the patty cases 3/4 full and bake for 20 - 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Carefully transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack
  • Cool completely, then pipe on Vegan buttercream frosting or another frosting of your choosing. Decorate with sprinkles or leave plain
  • Store cupcakes on the counter, covered for up to 4 days (they stay moist!). They also freeze perfectly for up to 3 months, with or without frosting.
Funfetti cupcakes – Add 1/2-3/4 cup sprinkles to the batter, folding them in at the end.

FROSTING
  • 1 cup vegan butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3 cups icing sugar
  • 2-3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or essence

Instructions​

• In a bowl and using an electric hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth, about 2 minutes.
  • Gradually add the icing sugar, about a cup at a time, and mix starting on low speed gradually increasing to medium, until all the icing sugar is mixed in.
  • Add 2 tablespoons of milk and vanilla and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, until everything is well combined. Scrape the bowl as needed.
  • If the frosting seems too thick, you can add more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time. If the frosting is too thin and runny, simply add more icing sugar
  • Pipe onto cupcakes,or spread on.
Note:

1. If you don't have cake flour then make your own by
Take one cup of plain flour Remove two tablespoons, and then add two tablespoons of corn flour to plain flour. Sift together before using.

2. You can make the frosting up to 2 days in advance. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use, then bring it to room temperature before using. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
This is the cake flour I use
262660.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored
The recipe is one of Nora Cooks' vegan recipes - she has a whole raft of them on her blog. You can find both these recipes (for the cake, and for the buttercream frosting) on page 10 of her blog.

My daughter's a vegan thanks to food intolerances/allergies, and Nora Cooks' recipes have been a godsend for us. I can highly recommend her to anyone else needing vegan recipes.
She's an American, but all her recipes also have the metric conversions available to you with just a click of the button.

Hat off to Suzanne for bringing her recipe to the membership's attention. Vegans aren't that thick on the ground, so I doubt it would have ever occurred to me that there might be interest in vegan recipes.

Jess

The recipe is one of Nora Cooks' vegan recipes - she has a whole raft of them on her blog. You can find both these recipes (for the cake, and for the buttercream frosting) on page 10 of her blog.

My daughter's a vegan thanks to food intolerances/allergies, and Nora Cooks' recipes have been a godsend for us. I can highly recommend her to anyone else needing vegan recipes.
She's an American, but all her recipes also have the metric conversions available to you with just a click of the button.

Hat off to Suzanne for bringing her recipe to the membership's attention. Vegans aren't that thick on the ground, so I doubt it would have ever occurred to me that there might be interest in vegan recipes.

Jess
With Six grandkids with dairy allergies I am always on the lookout for the best recipes and yes Nora Cooks are one of the best . I usually convert my self as I haven't seen this option on her website.

Reactions: JKM_Storyteller
With Six grandkids with dairy allergies I am always on the lookout for the best recipes and yes Nora Cooks are one of the best . I usually convert my self as I haven't seen this option on her website.
Suzanne,
If you scroll right down a recipe page, on past all the step-by-step photos to the receipe itself, you will see the US Customary/Metric measurements toggles on the right hand side under the Save Button.

Here's a snip of one randomly chose recipe. The active measurement is the blue button (US by default). Aussies just click the white Metric button to change it.

Hope this helps!

JessNora cooks recipe screenshot.png

I’m afraid it does say on top of the article that desserts and health can go hand in hand , that’s way people react to that .
I personally don’t use any refined sugar and use coconut sugar , honey , maple syrup ,agave or use the natural sweetness of fruit . And I never eat any butter and sugar icing on top of my cakes or muffins , it just makes me sick .

Jess
There is as I am one.

Reactions: JKM_Storyteller
Are you looking at the beginning of the post where the whole recipe is
No, I mean the mention in the actual email only gives a hint at what the recipe may be. I'd like to know before I click, because than I would check the recipes more often.

No, I mean the mention in the actual email only gives a hint at what the recipe may be. I'd like to know before I click, because than I would check the recipes more often.
In the email it only gives a hint on everything.

There is always great recipes plus much much more.
So many interesting topics and discussions.
Have you looked at the games as well

Reactions: Ezzy
I’m afraid it does say on top of the article that desserts and health can go hand in hand , that’s way people react to that .
I personally don’t use any refined sugar and use coconut sugar , honey , maple syrup ,agave or use the natural sweetness of fruit . And I never eat any butter and sugar icing on top of my cakes or muffins , it just makes me sick .
I eat everything in moderation . I've also read articles how people substitute sugar with maple syrup and honey and that they are just as bad.
They are saying different things all the time. So now I eat things in moderation

My cookbook is filling up :)
You should see how many hand written cookbooks I have. I am just about finished doing my own cookbook , which I will make into a hard covered book for each of my kids

I decided to make a cookbook with the insistance from my older girls .
And then one of my sons asked out of the blue if his sisters knew how to cook my food because what would happen if I died he would never have my fruit cake again. I just looked at him and thought 😳 so you would be more upset because I couldn't cook for you any more. But that actually got me thinking ( after the shock ) and I decided to do a cookbook .

• Love
Reactions: Ezzy and Leenie
You should see how many hand written cookbooks I have. I am just about finished doing my own cookbook , which I will make into a hard covered book for each of my kids

I decided to make a cookbook with the insistance from my older girls .
And then one of my sons asked out of the blue if his sisters knew how to cook my food because what would happen if I died he would never have my fruit cake again. I just looked at him and thought 😳 so you would be more upset because I couldn't cook for you any more. But that actually got me thinking ( after the shock ) and I decided to do a cookbook .
Great reason for for doing this. Remember:- 'never hide your light under a bushell'. You have so many delightful recipes you could share with family & fellow members here. If you ever published a cookbook l would be interested in purchasing a copy or two please.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Great reason for for doing this. Remember:- 'never hide your light under a bushell'. You have so many delightful recipes you could share with family & fellow members here. If you ever published a cookbook l would be interested in purchasing a copy or two please.
When it's finished I will be sending you a copy

Reactions: Ezzy
I will look forward to that too. Thankyou for the heads up. Will see the face behind the name & comments too.
I wish you the very best with your future endeavours.
I'm actually very excited , I ve done a couple videos on instagram but starting a YouTube Chanel I want to make sure I have everything I need.

If I could add videos up here I would have done it already

Reactions: Leenie and Ezzy