SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
J

James Gutierrez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 11, 2021
Using hand signals in traffic

Can you believe there was a time when people used hand signals for traffic? Before fancy car indicators, folks learned these signals in driving school just to pass the test! So, which hand signals do you remember? Drop a comment below! And if you've got more old-school photos to share, come join us at the Nostalgia/Yesterday’s Australia forum. We're all eyes for your stories and snapshots from the good ol' days!

368238675_10161340819227884_8057516781369596024_n.jpeg
Image source: Facebook/The Australia I Remember Group

in relation to hand signals..arm outstretched..moving into right lane or going around a corner.
arm at Right angles from elbow..meaning you are going to stop.
That is correct..you had to know them to get your licence.
I am one of them.

Reactions: Sockjoan
I remember my grandfather doing this then the next thing if any part of your arm was out the window it was a fine.

I also remember when cars didn't have seat belts

I was going to Hornsby Police Station for my driving test ,walked in to station, Copper said I could go home and come back next week I had before driving as I hadn't given a STOP sign when pulling up outside the Police Station

Can you believe there was a time when people used hand signals for traffic? Before fancy car indicators, folks learned these signals in driving school just to pass the test! So, which hand signals do you remember? Drop a comment below! And if you've got more old-school photos to share, come join us at the Nostalgia/Yesterday’s Australia forum. We're all ears and eyes for your stories and snapshots from the good ol' days!

View attachment 27915

When I learnt to drive in 1968 we had to know all the hand signals .

Going back to yesterdays article "Trafficators" Hand signals were replaced by the Trafficator, which in turn was upgraded to the orange flashing indicator lights.

I might be wrong but I think in Victoria there was a hand signal of waving the right arm up and down like a bird flapping a wing indicated slowing down. Perhaps someone can correct me on this?

I might be wrong but I think in Victoria there was a hand signal of waving the right arm up and down like a bird flapping a wing indicated slowing down. Perhaps someone can correct me on this?
That was true for the UK at that time

That’s what I thought too

Never mind cars…..when we were about 7, a policeman came to our school (this was in Scotland) to teach us the hand signals and road safety……when we road bikes we had to ride them on the roads …..none of this riding on the pavement where pedestrians walked…..

Can you believe there was a time when people used hand signals for traffic? Before fancy car indicators, folks learned these signals in driving school just to pass the test! So, which hand signals do you remember? Drop a comment below! And if you've got more old-school photos to share, come join us at the Nostalgia/Yesterday’s Australia forum. We're all eyes for your stories and snapshots from the good ol' days!

View attachment 27915

Still do occasionally. As the image depicts, arm straight out signified, making a right hand turn. Arm bent at the elbow to form a Stop signal, either meant, I'm stopping or I'm making a left hand turn.
One still in use today, is to stick your arm out and with open hand rotate it in an anticlockwise fashion to advice drivers behind to overtake you.
Not sure, but I imagine that nowdays, with indicators and hazard warning lights sticking any part or your body, including your arm from the vehicle is likely illegal. IS IT? I wonder.🤔

Last edited:
This is so correct..We had to learn the aforementioned signals to obtain our Driving Licence.
Dont put your arm out now or you will be fined.
Times change all the time, we must keep up with it.
It was fun reading about it.

I went for my driver's licence at Hornsby Police Station, walked in and the copper said "come back next week ' you didn't give a Stop Sign to pull up, I said there was no cars behind me No matter