US mum surprised by Aussie holiday ritual—do you do this too?

Christmas time in Australia has its distinct flavour: a beautiful blend of the quintessentially festive season combined with Australia's culture and traditions.

For many Aussies, the annual Christmas feast is the highlight of the year, something they anticipate all year round. But what a lot don't know is that many of these holiday traditions aren't practised in other parts of the world!

In particular, it seems that most Americans are unaware of the unique and beloved Christmas rituals that Aussies (and Brits) engage in.

This was recently highlighted when an American mother named Brittany was watching the 'Christmas Swim' episode of the Australian cartoon Bluey and came across the family of dogs gathered around a festive lunch.

Brittany noticed that each wore a coloured 'crown' around their head and was immediately curious.

Screen Shot 2023-09-01 at 3.28.17 PM.png
A mum from the US wondered why the family of dogs wore coloured crowns to a festive lunch. Credit: Facebook/Bluey Mums.

'Can any of our lovely Australian members tell me why they're all wearing the crowns in season two, episode 26? I thought it was so cute and would love to know more about it!'

Once Brittany's question was posted in the 'Adult Bluey Fans' Facebook group, over 1,300 people flooded the comments, and it wasn't long before they realised it was an Aussie-specific tradition.

'It's a tradition in Australia. Bad jokes, paper crowns, salads, seafood, cricket, Christmas is awesome,' one wrote, before another user explained what a classic Aussie Christmas looks like.

'Christmas lunch is one of the most quintessentially Australian traditions. Due to Christmas falling in the middle of the Australian summer, rather than winter time in the northern hemisphere, the lunch gathering is often outside under the patio, by the pool or inside next to the air conditioning.'

They continued: 'The food is usually the most eclectic mix of hot turkey/chook, roasted veggies, ham, salads, prawns, seafood and BBQ followed by pavlova and Christmas pudding. All around a plastic tree.'

'After it's all done, the water fights, backyard cricket and playing in the pool begins,' they went on to say.

Another woman couldn't help but highlight the one thing often found that Americans don't engage with—bonbons.

'My mind is blown. I thought Christmas hats/crackers were universal. It is basically Grinch's behaviour not to wear a hat at Christmas lunch in our family. We need to send you some!' she commented.

The mystery of the paper crowns was then cleared up. Most Aussies know that it's a yuletide tradition for guests to pop open Christmas crackers—cardboard tubes wrapped in festive paper designs—before or during the meal.

Inside is a paper crown, plus a small piece of paper with a written joke or riddle (like a bad Dad Joke) and sometimes a toy. The paper crown is then worn for the remainder of the meal, adding an extra bit of fun and festivity to the day.

As it turns out, the Christmas cracker tradition isn't just limited to Australia and the UK but also shared by other countries such as New Zealand, Ireland and Canada.

Key Takeaways

• An American mum was surprised to learn about the Australian Christmas tradition of donning paper crowns after it was featured in an episode of the Australian cartoon Bluey.
  • The tradition involves participants popping open Christmas crackers to reveal a tissue paper crown, a joke or riddle, and sometimes a toy, which is worn for the remainder of the meal.
  • Many Australians were astounded that this tradition wasn't followed in the US, with one describing it as 'Grinch's behaviour not to wear a hat at Christmas lunch.'
  • The American mother who discovered the tradition through Bluey expressed interest in adopting it as a new tradition for her family.

In addition to the traditions and activities mentioned above, do you have any other Christmas routines that you've noticed aren't practised anywhere else? Have you also adopted something special from another country for this festive season?

Please let us know in the comments below; we'd love to read about how you celebrate the holidays!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Christmas time in Australia has its distinct flavour: a beautiful blend of the quintessentially festive season combined with Australia's culture and traditions.

For many Aussies, the annual Christmas feast is the highlight of the year, something they anticipate all year round. But what a lot don't know is that many of these holiday traditions aren't practised in other parts of the world!

In particular, it seems that most Americans are unaware of the unique and beloved Christmas rituals that Aussies (and Brits) engage in.

This was recently highlighted when an American mother named Brittany was watching the 'Christmas Swim' episode of the Australian cartoon Bluey and came across the family of dogs gathered around a festive lunch.

Brittany noticed that each wore a coloured 'crown' around their head and was immediately curious.

View attachment 28894
A mum from the US wondered why the family of dogs wore coloured crowns to a festive lunch. Credit: Facebook/Bluey Mums.

'Can any of our lovely Australian members tell me why they're all wearing the crowns in season two, episode 26? I thought it was so cute and would love to know more about it!'

Once Brittany's question was posted in the 'Adult Bluey Fans' Facebook group, over 1,300 people flooded the comments, and it wasn't long before they realised it was an Aussie-specific tradition.

'It's a tradition in Australia. Bad jokes, paper crowns, salads, seafood, cricket, Christmas is awesome,' one wrote, before another user explained what a classic Aussie Christmas looks like.

'Christmas lunch is one of the most quintessentially Australian traditions. Due to Christmas falling in the middle of the Australian summer, rather than winter time in the northern hemisphere, the lunch gathering is often outside under the patio, by the pool or inside next to the air conditioning.'

They continued: 'The food is usually the most eclectic mix of hot turkey/chook, roasted veggies, ham, salads, prawns, seafood and BBQ followed by pavlova and Christmas pudding. All around a plastic tree.'

'After it's all done, the water fights, backyard cricket and playing in the pool begins,' they went on to say.

Another woman couldn't help but highlight the one thing often found that Americans don't engage with—bonbons.

'My mind is blown. I thought Christmas hats/crackers were universal. It is basically Grinch's behaviour not to wear a hat at Christmas lunch in our family. We need to send you some!' she commented.

The mystery of the paper crowns was then cleared up. Most Aussies know that it's a yuletide tradition for guests to pop open Christmas crackers—cardboard tubes wrapped in festive paper designs—before or during the meal.

Inside is a paper crown, plus a small piece of paper with a written joke or riddle (like a bad Dad Joke) and sometimes a toy. The paper crown is then worn for the remainder of the meal, adding an extra bit of fun and festivity to the day.

As it turns out, the Christmas cracker tradition isn't just limited to Australia and the UK but also shared by other countries such as New Zealand, Ireland and Canada.

Key Takeaways

• An American mum was surprised to learn about the Australian Christmas tradition of donning paper crowns after it was featured in an episode of the Australian cartoon Bluey.
  • The tradition involves participants popping open Christmas crackers to reveal a tissue paper crown, a joke or riddle, and sometimes a toy, which is worn for the remainder of the meal.
  • Many Australians were astounded that this tradition wasn't followed in the US, with one describing it as 'Grinch's behaviour not to wear a hat at Christmas lunch.'
  • The American mother who discovered the tradition through Bluey expressed interest in adopting it as a new tradition for her family.

In addition to the traditions and activities mentioned above, do you have any other Christmas routines that you've noticed aren't practised anywhere else? Have you also adopted something special from another country for this festive season?

Please let us know in the comments below; we'd love to read about how you celebrate the holidays!
My favourite memory of my Dad is at the Christmas lunch with his paper crown on his head and all his hrylcream soaking through. Then the wrapping paper fights as the presents are opened, many a new family member just doesn't know what or who got them!

Having lived in Australia for 54 years, I have never heard of a dog's Christmas celebration!

Apart from that, every country has its own Christmas traditions and regardless of where one lives, kids always find it hard waiting for the next Christmas to come around.

I grew up in Austria and Christmas is celebrated on Christmas Eve. All businesses close early in the afternoon as well as pubs, public transport, etc. Only essential services as in police and medical, continue.

My father used to go out in the morning to cut down a small fir tree, which was then sat down on the floor in the children's bedroom and decorated during the afternoon - by my father when we were small, then by us kids as we got older.

After dinner, we kids were locked into our parents' bedroom, while our parents took the decorated tree into the living room, put all the presents around it and lit the candles - yes, they were REAL candles! Then they turned off the lights and called us.

It was pure magic walking into a dark room with the candle lit Christmas tree providing the only light. We used to sing several Christmas carols before we were allowed to blow out the candles. Then it was time to open the presents.

When my kids were small, we used to alternate between an Austrian and Australian (British) Christmas, since my then husband was British.

Then at the end of November in 1994 I took the kids (3) to Austria where they experienced Christmas in winter with my parents and sisters. They absolutely loved it but is spoiled Christmas in Australia for them.

As for myself, Christmas is, well, sort of okay but nothing like the Christmases I experienced in Europe.