US expat reveals the road rules she found most confusing after moving to Australia

An American expat is totally stumped by an Aussie road rule - and we don't blame her!

Jaylee Promise, from California, took to TikTok to share her confusion about the 'big difference' between driving Down Under and driving in America.

Credit: TikTok/@jaylee.promise

In Australia, of course, we drive on the left side of the road with the steering wheel on the right. But in the States, it's the opposite!

“Was it easy to get the hang of? No. Did I eventually get it? Yes I did. Should you be scared to drive with me? Maybe,” Jaylee jokingly says in the clip.

Another common road rule that surprised her was the fact that we Aussies "cannot make a U-turn anywhere".

Jaylee shares: “It’s illegal to make a U-turn unless there is this sign that says, ‘U-turn permitted’. However, in America it’s the opposite. Motorists can make a U-turn at any time, at any light.”

“Unless there is a sign saying you cannot make a U-turn."

“Good thing a cop didn’t see me the first time I made a U-turn here,” she jokes.

However, several Aussies were quick to jump in to point out that the "U-turn rule" actually varies per state.

One person wrote: “In South Australia you can turn anywhere unless it says you can’t. So the same as the US basically.”

“In SA you can’t at an intersection with traffic lights unless there is a sign permitting. Whereas in Victoria you can unless there’s a no U-turn sign,” another claimed.

A third joked: “Also in Australia NONE if these rules apply if you're [sic] in a hurry!”

7bAdvqgj8GOIyEMO8yDrN8Aokk_A0mg5tVkNi1h6WDArXNBm2SApj3umLw-UFeHSGuo9s8V4tiHRRfsdVnaLPZEdK5aAp4QUxGIMQOleB_7b7O8nxBDeLBKiTYE1pgX9pIK3gfoQc4ctG495

An American expat is totally stumped by Aussie road rules that are complete opposites with the rules in the US. Credit: TikTok/@jaylee.promise.

Motorists in New South Wales need to be well-versed with traffic laws and U-turn skills. That's because, according to the state's road rules, drivers are not permitted to make a U-turn at traffic lights unless there is a 'U-turn Permitted' sign displayed.

So, if you're ever driving in NSW and you see a 'U-turn Permitted' sign, you're in the clear to make a U-turn. But if you don't see a sign, or if the sign says 'No U-turns', then you'll need to find another way to turn around.

The same rules apply in Western Australia, although on roads with only one lane in each direction, you can make a U-turn unless it's indicated that it's not permitted. And on a road with two or more lanes in one direction, you are allowed to make a U-turn unless it's indicated that it's not permitted, but you must turn from the lane closest to the centre of the road.

Another traffic rule that baffled Jaylee includes the fact that most traffic lights don’t allow you to turn on a red light.

She says: "In Australia you cannot make a left turn [even] staying close to the kerb, if the (opposing) light is red. You just have to wait for the light to turn green.”

“That was a major difference for me, because my friend screamed at me the first time I made a little turn on a red light.”

It should be noted, however, that there are special cases that allow motorists to turn on a red light — provided that it’s safe and there is a sign.

iM-b0hxZnnQsYzorOeDWRJPkrdQ1iC_cqAb4uzPfY9hl-fvGq2syfuLiEnmVADthkxHzZ9SQb-HbifJnbKbNobj0VSaIpcMW-IikxcoZV5C-jW56_LXywEXG1ynkDu4DF2-OveIGeHJwdE07

Jalee mistakenly claimed that there were no “carpool lanes” in Australia as we have similar lanes in our roads. Credit: TikTok/@jaylee.promise.

The expat then shows side-by-side photos of Bruce Highway in Queensland and a highway in California, comparing them.

“There’s two lanes either side,” she says about the Aussie highway.

“This is the 405 freeway where I live in California – it has six to seven lanes either side.”

Lastly, Jaylee claimed that Australian roads have no carpool lanes compared to that of US roads.

She shares: “In America we have these little numbers called carpoolings, which is this little lane way off to the side. It’s kinda on its own."

“You can only be in this lane if you have two or more people in your car – so for people who carpool together. So if you have a kid in the car, a friend or whatever, you can go in the fast lane. It’s really helpful.”

“Maybe I should have looked up the rules before I started driving here.”

Well, we actually have similar lanes here in Australia and they are commonly referred to as T2 and T3 and it is a transit lane which can only be used by passenger service vehicles, cyclists, motorcycles and vehicles carrying at least two (T2) or three (T3) people.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think expats should be given road safety lessons before being allowed to drive? It sounds like it would have been helpful if this woman did!

Sponsored
An American expat is totally stumped by an Aussie road rule - and we don't blame her!

Jaylee Promise, from California, took to TikTok to share her confusion about the 'big difference' between driving Down Under and driving in America.

In Australia, of course, we drive on the left side of the road with the steering wheel on the right. But in the States, it's the opposite!

“Was it easy to get the hang of? No. Did I eventually get it? Yes I did. Should you be scared to drive with me? Maybe,” Jaylee jokingly says in the clip.

Another common road rule that surprised her was the fact that we Aussies "cannot make a U-turn anywhere".

Jaylee shares: “It’s illegal to make a U-turn unless there is this sign that says, ‘U-turn permitted’. However, in America it’s the opposite. Motorists can make a U-turn at any time, at any light.”

“Good thing a cop didn’t see me the first time I made a U-turn here,” she jokes.

However, several Aussies were quick to jump in to point out that the "U-turn rule" actually varies per state.

One person wrote: “In South Australia you can turn anywhere unless it says you can’t. So the same as the US basically.”

“In SA you can’t at an intersection with traffic lights unless there is a sign permitting. Whereas in Victoria you can unless there’s a no U-turn sign,” another claimed.

A third joked: “Also in Australia NONE if these rules apply if you're [sic] in a hurry!”

7bAdvqgj8GOIyEMO8yDrN8Aokk_A0mg5tVkNi1h6WDArXNBm2SApj3umLw-UFeHSGuo9s8V4tiHRRfsdVnaLPZEdK5aAp4QUxGIMQOleB_7b7O8nxBDeLBKiTYE1pgX9pIK3gfoQc4ctG495

An American expat is totally stumped by Aussie road rules that are complete opposites with the rules in the US. Credit: TikTok/@jaylee.promise.

Motorists in New South Wales need to be well-versed with traffic laws and U-turn skills. That's because, according to the state's road rules, drivers are not permitted to make a U-turn at traffic lights unless there is a 'U-turn Permitted' sign displayed.

So, if you're ever driving in NSW and you see a 'U-turn Permitted' sign, you're in the clear to make a U-turn. But if you don't see a sign, or if the sign says 'No U-turns', then you'll need to find another way to turn around.

The same rules apply in Western Australia, although on roads with only one lane in each direction, you can make a U-turn unless it's indicated that it's not permitted. And on a road with two or more lanes in one direction, you are allowed to make a U-turn unless it's indicated that it's not permitted, but you must turn from the lane closest to the centre of the road.

Another traffic rule that baffled Jaylee includes the fact that most traffic lights don’t allow you to turn on a red light.

She says: "In Australia you cannot make a left turn [even] staying close to the kerb, if the (opposing) light is red. You just have to wait for the light to turn green.”

“That was a major difference for me, because my friend screamed at me the first time I made a little turn on a red light.”

It should be noted, however, that there are special cases that allow motorists to turn on a red light — provided that it’s safe and there is a sign.

iM-b0hxZnnQsYzorOeDWRJPkrdQ1iC_cqAb4uzPfY9hl-fvGq2syfuLiEnmVADthkxHzZ9SQb-HbifJnbKbNobj0VSaIpcMW-IikxcoZV5C-jW56_LXywEXG1ynkDu4DF2-OveIGeHJwdE07

Jalee mistakenly claimed that there were no “carpool lanes” in Australia as we have similar lanes in our roads. Credit: TikTok/@jaylee.promise.

The expat then shows side-by-side photos of Bruce Highway in Queensland and a highway in California, comparing them.

“This is the 405 freeway where I live in California – it has six to seven lanes either side.”

Lastly, Jaylee claimed that Australian roads have no carpool lanes compared to that of US roads.

She shares: “In America we have these little numbers called carpoolings, which is this little lane way off to the side. It’s kinda on its own."

“You can only be in this lane if you have two or more people in your car – so for people who carpool together. So if you have a kid in the car, a friend or whatever, you can go in the fast lane. It’s really helpful.”

Well, we actually have similar lanes here in Australia and they are commonly referred to as T2 and T3 and it is a transit lane which can only be used by passenger service vehicles, cyclists, motorcycles and vehicles carrying at least two (T2) or three (T3) people.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think expats should be given road safety lessons before being allowed to drive? It sounds like it would have been helpful if this woman did!

Another storm in a teacup!
Hasn't this woman heard of: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do!"
We don't go to the U.S. and complain about their traffic regulations.
Reciprocate!!!!!!!!

I Promise you Jaylee (see what I did there?) the concept of turning anywhere when facing a red light is flawed.
And your idea of U turns is completely wrong...... In Australia, we have both signs..... U Turn Permitted AND No U Turn........ It is a matter of taking note of the signs.
Also (although I'm not 100% sure of this) I reckon Australia would be the only, or one of a very few countries, where the speed limit can change 5 or 6 times within a kilometre (oops sorry, 5/8 of a mile) just to confuse motorists and to appease some smart young person within the road authority who woke up on the wrong side of the bed, or didn't score last night, so he/she takes it out on the unsuspecting motorists of the country.
Anyway Jaylee, enjoy your stay and remember........ NEVER EVER drive in floodwaters.

Haha. Yes, there are road rules, in different states. But the first rule of driving is, "it is the drivers responsibility to keep up-to-date with any rule changes". How many of us, have actually reviewed the road rules since getting our licenses? Oh, in case anyone is wondering why not to do U turns at traffic lights. It's the light phasing and arrow turns, which actually improves traffic flow. Best rule of thumb, is to keep your eyes up and concentrate. The road is not the place for multi tasking. Stay safe folks.

Reactions: Ricci and terri
I don't suppose it occurred to this septic tank that a fairly good reason why we drive on the left, with the steering wheel on the right-hand side of the car, is that your position on the road allows you a slightly better view of what's ahead, what's on your left and what's on your right? I could have included a pic of a bush track in the outback side by side with one of the Bruce Highway -- what does that prove? Can't wait for part 2 of this saga ...

Reactions: Ricci

I think any person wishing to drive in Australia from overseas should be given a basic understanding of our road rules/laws. also in all states and terrorises should have the same rules/laws after all we are one country are we not

I Promise you Jaylee (see what I did there?) the concept of turning anywhere when facing a red light is flawed.
And your idea of U turns is completely wrong...... In Australia, we have both signs..... U Turn Permitted AND No U Turn........ It is a matter of taking note of the signs.
Also (although I'm not 100% sure of this) I reckon Australia would be the only, or one of a very few countries, where the speed limit can change 5 or 6 times within a kilometre (oops sorry, 5/8 of a mile) just to confuse motorists and to appease some smart young person within the road authority who woke up on the wrong side of the bed, or didn't score last night, so he/she takes it out on the unsuspecting motorists of the country.
Anyway Jaylee, enjoy your stay and remember........ NEVER EVER drive in floodwaters.
Totally agree that you should never be allowed to turn on a red light - unless there’s a filter lane. Agree also about the u-turn rules.

If we visit the USA and hire a car you can drive with your Aussie or an International licence, but if you become a resident you must pass our driving tests and get a valid licence for the state you live in.

"Maybe I should of looked up the rules before I started driving here". There's no "maybe" about it. Yes, you should have (have, not of). To drive legally in Australia on a US driver's licence, you have to apply for a (US) International Driving Permit. That permit requires you to "check with the embassy of the country you plan to visit or live in to find specific driver's license requirements". So there's no excuse for whining about driving rules being different.

Last edited:
One rule that is different between California and WA is that in California, if you are driving on country roads (i.e. one lane each way) and traffic is piling up behind you, you are obliged to pull over and let traffic pass if there are five or more vehicles following you. I sure wish we had that rule here, especially when I got stuck for almost two hours behind one truck doing an average 20-30 kph under the speed limit.

Yes learn the road rules of the country you are driving in. I did when in the US and when I went for my test and stopped at the red light the tutor said you can turn on red I remarked that we are not allowed to do that in Oz and he said "quite right too stupidest damn rule" so when in Rome do as the Romans do!

Bruce Highway has 2 lanes either side America has 6 to 7 lanes. America has millions more people living in each state opposed to Australia. I have been to America and even with their 6 to 7 lanes each side they still have traffic jams like us. So what is the reason she bought this up

Without any thought of being discriminatory, the Polish people who come to Australia are the ones who should be extra vigilant and careful on or near the roads in this country.....
Every day I read of a car (not the driver, but the car as is reported) running into a pole.
Never read of the car running off the road and into a Cowboy or an Indian !!!
Those poor Polish people.
Just ask a Pole.....is Australia, the lucky country? Not likely.

One rule that is different between California and WA is that in California, if you are driving on country roads (i.e. one lane each way) and traffic is piling up behind you, you are obliged to pull over and let traffic pass if there are five or more vehicles following you. I sure wish we had that rule here, especially when I got stuck for almost two hours behind one truck doing an average 20-30 kph under the speed limit.
So when we are driving home from the footy, every 6th car will be pulled over to the side of the road. When those initial cars pull over, there is still a line of traffic, so now every sixth car will pull over again, and so on and so on, until of the 70,000 crowd at the footy, 69,995 will be pulled over so that the five can continue..... You know that the guy who thought of that rule got $150,000 reward from the staff suggestion box....... We are Australia

• Haha
Reactions: Defiant540

first make road rules consistent in all states and territories in Australia, that would be a start, you dont have to be from another country to figure out it is a mess just now here when people actually drive from one state to another, or two or three. Next anyone driving in another country should be given a road rules book and it always amaze me that people never see themselves as the "foreigner" when driving (or doing anything else) in another country and I certainly dont mean just Americans

So when we are driving home from the footy, every 6th car will be pulled over to the side of the road. When those initial cars pull over, there is still a line of traffic, so now every sixth car will pull over again, and so on and so on, until of the 70,000 crowd at the footy, 69,995 will be pulled over so that the five can continue..... You know that the guy who thought of that rule got $150,000 reward from the staff suggestion box....... We are Australia
If you read the post thoroughly, I did say it was for country roads - doesn't affect metropolitan footy traffic.

If you read the post thoroughly, I did say it was for country roads - doesn't affect metropolitan footy traffic.
Oh, I did read it thoroughly.......but you didn't read mine thoroughly. My posted reply did not say that the traffic was metropolitan footy traffic :rolleyes:

Oh, I did read it thoroughly.......but you didn't read mine thoroughly. My posted reply did not say that the traffic was metropolitan footy traffic :rolleyes:
Your posted reply might not have said that the traffic was metropolitan but I was not aware that country footy traffic would reach the epic proportions of 70,000 (which is what you DID say in your original post).

Last edited:
Your posted reply might not have said that the traffic was metropolitan but I was not aware that country footy traffic would reach the epic proportions of 70,000 (which is what you DID say in your original post).
Just read the lines, there is nothing between them

Who, incorrectly, put (sic) after a correctly spelled "you're". A third joked: “Also in Australia NONE if these rules apply if you're [sic] in a hurry!”

Reactions: Zemo