Urgent: Is your city at risk of a measles outbreak?

Members, we are here with another health update—a measles alert has been issued in Melbourne and Brisbane.

Health authorities in Victoria and Queensland are on high alert, thanks to a traveller who hopped between the states while being infected with measles.

compressed-measles2.jpeg
Measles is a highly contagious viral infection that primarily affects the respiratory system. Image from Flickr

The traveller in question journeyed by taking Qantas flight QF40 from Jakarta, Indonesia, to Melbourne on Sunday, July 2.

They then continued their travel on flight QF610 from Melbourne to Brisbane, departing at 9:50 am on the subsequent day.

During their transit, the passenger moved through Melbourne Airport's international terminal (T2) and Qantas domestic terminal (T1) at Tullamarine on Monday, July 3, between 6:20 am and 9:50 am.

Victorian health authorities are strongly encouraging passengers who travelled through the airport within the stated time frame to be on the lookout for symptoms.

The Queensland government has also issued a measles alert for Brisbane's domestic airport from noon to 1 pm on July 3.

They have also identified a number of sites in the city's northside and Redcliffe area where there may have been potential exposure to measles.

Following his exploits at Melbourne's airport, he graced several locations in Brisbane's northside and Redcliffe—the Kippa-Ring Shopping Centre, and Redcliffe Hospital's Emergency Department, to name a few. Here's a full list of the points of potential exposure:

iyD16-7glwq9uiHM0vMdsBiUr_lNg4w2XQuhvkcVrXT80NKA_T94OmSZ94VMQ7sR2IoMVM3tn-JkjJiDdnkIiqGSHvT233oecu2D6YD_nG7fELn_nx5g9sP5botLyUYfLaSGEK9twinpS7LzU_gBaF4

Similarly, health officials have urged those who were at these hotspots during the listed time frames, or those who could have possibly crossed paths with our traveller, to be on the lookout for symptoms until July 21, approximately seven to 18 days post possible exposure.

Just a refresher on the symptoms of measles: they start with a fever accompanied by a runny nose, a cough and conjunctivitis.

compressed-measles.jpeg
It is characterised by a distinctive rash, high fever, and a range of flu-like symptoms. Image by cdc from unsplash

A telltale rash then appears after three to four days. It generally begins on the face and then spreads to the rest of the body.

Victoria's chief health officer Brett Sutton said, 'People who are planning to travel overseas should ensure they have received appropriate vaccinations, including MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) vaccine if they don't have a history of two previous MMR vaccinations.'

He also recommended that those who have visited any of the exposure sites should stay alert for symptoms and seek medical attention if they feel unwell.

Queensland Health has also swung into action, urging residents born in 1966 or after, who have not received two documented doses of the measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccine, to visit their doctor for a measles jab if they’ve never had the illness before.

Key Takeaways
  • A man unknowingly travelled while infectious with measles, visiting Victoria and Queensland.
  • The traveller used Qantas flights, visited Melbourne Airport's international terminal and domestic terminal at Tullamarine, and has been to several places in Brisbane.
  • Residents who were in any of the exposure sites are urged to watch for symptoms until July 21 and seek medical care if symptoms appear.
  • Health authorities reminded about the importance of being fully immunised and the risks of measles for unvaccinated individuals, especially for those planning to travel overseas.

So, readers, it's essential to arm ourselves with the required vaccines and stay updated on our health.

With the buzz around COVID-19, this measles case serves as a reminder that there are more health issues to be aware of. After all, when it comes to public health, there's no such thing as too much vigilance!

What are your thoughts on the recent measles alert in Melbourne and Brisbane? Are you concerned about the potential outbreak and the importance of vaccinations in preventing the spread of contagious diseases?

Sponsored
Members, we are here with another health update—a measles alert has been issued in Melbourne and Brisbane.

Health authorities in Victoria and Queensland are on high alert, thanks to a traveller who hopped between the states while being infected with measles.

View attachment 25383
Measles is a highly contagious viral infection that primarily affects the respiratory system. Image from Flickr

The traveller in question journeyed by taking Qantas flight QF40 from Jakarta, Indonesia, to Melbourne on Sunday, July 2.

They then continued their travel on flight QF610 from Melbourne to Brisbane, departing at 9:50 am on the subsequent day.

During their transit, the passenger moved through Melbourne Airport's international terminal (T2) and Qantas domestic terminal (T1) at Tullamarine on Monday, July 3, between 6:20 am and 9:50 am.

Victorian health authorities are strongly encouraging passengers who travelled through the airport within the stated time frame to be on the lookout for symptoms.

The Queensland government has also issued a measles alert for Brisbane's domestic airport from noon to 1 pm on July 3.

They have also identified a number of sites in the city's northside and Redcliffe area where there may have been potential exposure to measles.

Following his exploits at Melbourne's airport, he graced several locations in Brisbane's northside and Redcliffe—the Kippa-Ring Shopping Centre, and Redcliffe Hospital's Emergency Department, to name a few. Here's a full list of the points of potential exposure:

iyD16-7glwq9uiHM0vMdsBiUr_lNg4w2XQuhvkcVrXT80NKA_T94OmSZ94VMQ7sR2IoMVM3tn-JkjJiDdnkIiqGSHvT233oecu2D6YD_nG7fELn_nx5g9sP5botLyUYfLaSGEK9twinpS7LzU_gBaF4

Similarly, health officials have urged those who were at these hotspots during the listed time frames, or those who could have possibly crossed paths with our traveller, to be on the lookout for symptoms until July 21, approximately seven to 18 days post possible exposure.

Just a refresher on the symptoms of measles: they start with a fever accompanied by a runny nose, a cough and conjunctivitis.

View attachment 25382
It is characterised by a distinctive rash, high fever, and a range of flu-like symptoms. Image by cdc from unsplash

A telltale rash then appears after three to four days. It generally begins on the face and then spreads to the rest of the body.

Victoria's chief health officer Brett Sutton said, 'People who are planning to travel overseas should ensure they have received appropriate vaccinations, including MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) vaccine if they don't have a history of two previous MMR vaccinations.'

He also recommended that those who have visited any of the exposure sites should stay alert for symptoms and seek medical attention if they feel unwell.

Queensland Health has also swung into action, urging residents born in 1966 or after, who have not received two documented doses of the measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccine, to visit their doctor for a measles jab if they’ve never had the illness before.

Key Takeaways

• A man unknowingly travelled while infectious with measles, visiting Victoria and Queensland.
  • The traveller used Qantas flights, visited Melbourne Airport's international terminal and domestic terminal at Tullamarine, and has been to several places in Brisbane.
  • Residents who were in any of the exposure sites are urged to watch for symptoms until July 21 and seek medical care if symptoms appear.
  • Health authorities reminded about the importance of being fully immunised and the risks of measles for unvaccinated individuals, especially for those planning to travel overseas.

So, readers, it's essential to arm ourselves with the required vaccines and stay updated on our health.

With the buzz around COVID-19, this measles case serves as a reminder that there are more health issues to be aware of. After all, when it comes to public health, there's no such thing as too much vigilance!

What are your thoughts on the recent measles alert in Melbourne and Brisbane? Are you concerned about the potential outbreak and the importance of vaccinations in preventing the spread of contagious diseases?

View attachment 25383

View attachment 25382

Key Takeaways

It’s time the federal government stopped people coming to Australia unless they are vaccinated,we have to protect Aussies from potential hazards. I remember a time when people were put in quarantine when they arrived in Australia.Do others agree ?

Measles can be deadlier than people realise. When I was 2 I had the measles and, according to the doctor and my mum, it was a miracle I lived through it. That near-death apparently gave me one hell of an immune system because I never got sick again as a kid and a teenager and it wasn't until I moved interstate that I got quite sick for the first time. After that I got sick as much as anyone does.

Prove you are fully jabbed or NO entry to Australia, end of story. Some people just don't care about what can happen if one has an infectious disease and runs around the place. This should apply to Australians returning from overseas.

Awhile ago I attended a wedding with people from Qld, Nsw and Tasmania,,some could have been from the other states,I don't know but someone gave 3 guests including me Covid,,,luckily I had had all my needles and wasn't that bad but what if it had been kids,,there was a few there all under 4 ,,,that is really ignorant and selfish,,,I would have stayed home ,,it's not hard to do a test before going to any event ..

Get used to it.
We are slowly being transformed into a third world country.
If and when the VOICE gets voted in Somalia will look like PARADISE.
Thats where we are heading God help us all ...
Please enlighten me with What "The Voice" has to do with vaccinations and people not being willing to have even the basic ones to safeguard the rest of the population.

Measles can be deadlier than people realise. When I was 2 I had the measles and, according to the doctor and my mum, it was a miracle I lived through it. That near-death apparently gave me one hell of an immune system because I never got sick again as a kid and a teenager and it wasn't until I moved interstate that I got quite sick for the first time. After that I got sick as much as anyone does.
I had measles when I was very young since then never been ill at all now I'm 67

Get used to it.
We are slowly being transformed into a third world country.
If and when the VOICE gets voted in Somalia will look like PARADISE.
Thats where we are heading God help us all ...
Australia is a third world country NOT slowly being transformed into one.

View attachment 25383

View attachment 25382

Key Takeaways

It’s time the federal government stopped people coming to Australia unless they are vaccinated,we have to protect Aussies from potential hazards. I remember a time when people were put in quarantine when they arrived in Australia.Do others agree ?
It's time people educated themselves around the real effects of vaccination - as we've seen in the past 3 years. It's also time to stop the fear mongering around health issues that circulate within (and have done so for thousands of years) our communities. COVID always was a flu...

Reactions: LadyMoonlight
It's time people educated themselves around the real effects of vaccination - as we've seen in the past 3 years. It's also time to stop the fear mongering around health issues that circulate within (and have done so for thousands of years) our communities. COVID always was a flu...
That particular Flu killed hundreds of thosands of people, world wide and was never the same as any Flu strain that we knew or had developed immunity too, maybe you should also"ëducate yourself"

Reactions: featherfour