Upgrade your shelves with this $15 Kmart buy! Discover how

It's no secret that renovating or redecorating your home can be quite expensive. If you're already struggling to make ends meet, the last thing you want to do is spend hundreds of dollars on new furniture and decorations.

You can, however, create some amazing new features in your living room, kitchen, bedroom and other areas of your home without having to break the bank.

All you need is a bit of imagination and a few inexpensive items from stores such as Kmart, and you can transform any area into something special.

Take Samantha, known as @kmarthackqueen on Instagram, who recently shared her genius way to upgrade any shelves with the help of just a few $15 Kmart items.

In her post, Samantha shows her 176k followers how she used four wooden chopping boards from Kmart to create a custom shelf top on top of her existing shelves.

'A little while ago, I did this little hack with the Small Cutting Board Herringbone from Kmart x 4 to make a top on top of my cube shelves,' she says.

'Just need to secure them on, which my hubby said he'll do for me.'

Samantha went on to explain that Kmart has a range of wooden boards to fit a variety of shelves.

‘Try and pick a style with a pattern so that it blends in together well. I love the pattern on this herringbone. It just works for my space, and it matches the flooring colour.’

FB resize 90 (1).jpg
The wooden board retails for $15. Image Credit: Kmart & Instagram/@kmarthackqueen

In terms of the actual DIY, she used sealant to stick the boards to the shelf top and then filled the gaps with a gap filler.

Needless to say, her followers were absolutely amazed by the results of her transformation, with one commenting, 'Wow, would not have thought of doing that. It looks great and very unique.'

Not only was this idea highly praised, but the quality of the Kmart chopping board also got the thumbs up, with one five-star reviewer calling it 'great quality, really heavy duty, looks good too’.

Another shared, ‘Very clever! You wouldn’t even know!!! Looks so seamless.’
At only $15, this Kmart board could be the ideal way for you to add some colour, pattern or texture to your shelves, bookcases and sideboards without breaking the bank.

Key Takeaways
  • A savvy user on Instagram shared a furniture DIY using $15 wooden chopping boards from Kmart to create a custom shelf top.
  • The user, Samantha, explains how these boards can be used to fit a variety of shelf sizes, suggesting choosing a style with a pattern that matches your space.
  • Responses to Samantha’s furniture DIY were positive, with many praising the idea for its creativeness and seamless look.

Aside from being used as a shelf top, as Samantha suggests, you could also use the board to display candles, keep potted plants, store towels in the bathroom, or for various other uses.

So if you're looking for an affordable way to upgrade your home while on a tight budget, be sure to take a look at what Kmart has to offer.

But in the words of one reviewer, be quick because the board is sure to fly off the shelves fast!

What are your thoughts on this DIY? Would you ever try it?

Sponsored
I like what she has done but wouldn't use it for the other things she said eg storing towels on . Now that would be expensive.

I like those shelves that is shown in her mirror

$60 To cover the top of what she did

Last edited:
Reactions: Granny*Deb

It's no secret that renovating or redecorating your home can be quite expensive. If you're already struggling to make ends meet, the last thing you want to do is spend hundreds of dollars on new furniture and decorations.

You can, however, create some amazing new features in your living room, kitchen, bedroom and other areas of your home without having to break the bank.

All you need is a bit of imagination and a few inexpensive items from stores such as Kmart, and you can transform any area into something special.

Take Samantha, known as @kmarthackqueen on Instagram, who recently shared her genius way to upgrade any shelves with the help of just a few $15 Kmart items.

In her post, Samantha shows her 176k followers how she used four wooden chopping boards from Kmart to create a custom shelf top on top of her existing shelves.

'A little while ago, I did this little hack with the Small Cutting Board Herringbone from Kmart x 4 to make a top on top of my cube shelves,' she says.

'Just need to secure them on, which my hubby said he'll do for me.'

Samantha went on to explain that Kmart has a range of wooden boards to fit a variety of shelves.

‘Try and pick a style with a pattern so that it blends in together well. I love the pattern on this herringbone. It just works for my space, and it matches the flooring colour.’

View attachment 26359
The wooden board retails for $15. Image Credit: Kmart & Instagram/@kmarthackqueen

In terms of the actual DIY, she used sealant to stick the boards to the shelf top and then filled the gaps with a gap filler.

Needless to say, her followers were absolutely amazed by the results of her transformation, with one commenting, 'Wow, would not have thought of doing that. It looks great and very unique.'

Not only was this idea highly praised, but the quality of the Kmart chopping board also got the thumbs up, with one five-star reviewer calling it 'great quality, really heavy duty, looks good too’.

Another shared, ‘Very clever! You wouldn’t even know!!! Looks so seamless.’
At only $15, this Kmart board could be the ideal way for you to add some colour, pattern or texture to your shelves, bookcases and sideboards without breaking the bank.

Key Takeaways

• A savvy user on Instagram shared a furniture DIY using $15 wooden chopping boards from Kmart to create a custom shelf top.
  • The user, Samantha, explains how these boards can be used to fit a variety of shelf sizes, suggesting choosing a style with a pattern that matches your space.
  • Responses to Samantha’s furniture DIY were positive, with many praising the idea for its creativeness and seamless look.

Aside from being used as a shelf top, as Samantha suggests, you could also use the board to display candles, keep potted plants, store towels in the bathroom, or for various other uses.

So if you're looking for an affordable way to upgrade your home while on a tight budget, be sure to take a look at what Kmart has to offer.

But in the words of one reviewer, be quick because the board is sure to fly off the shelves fast!

What are your thoughts on this DIY? Would you ever try it?
If they aren’t screwed in they are bound to move at some point, just resting isn’t safe, rather spend my money on a slab of timber, done it before, actually a piece of eucalyptus that had fallen on a golf course, cost nothing but my hubbys time, turned it into a top for a wine rack made of brick rendering iron, smoothed and polished it for my 40th it’s beautiful.