Unlock these 6 genius travel tips that can be your passport to saving thousands

Travel can be an enriching experience, brimming with crazy adventures, gorgeous vistas, and fascinating cultures.

It's no secret that travelling also has a habit of draining our bank accounts.

However, with a little bit of strategic planning and some professional tips under your belt, it's possible to stretch your travel budget further, enabling you to enjoy more experiences and secure previous memories.

Escape's seasoned travellers unveil their strategies for trip planning, along with the insider tips and techniques they employ to snag the most competitive prices.

1. Always opt for packages that include breakfast

Kerrie McCallum, Editor-in-Chief, states that the key to economical travel lies within all-inclusive deals.

'Value for me is having the work taken out of the deal—so fly-and-stay packages is where it’s at. I don’t have to worry about flights or accommodation, breakfast is taken care of and I know what I’m in for financially,' she explained.

Moreover, according to her, being flexible about the location can also help you grab the best value-packed deals, especially those that cater to families.

McCallum mentioned her positive experiences with deals from My Fiji, a Flight Centre cruise and a Luxury Escapes deal in Bali.

compressed-leio-mclaren-jEgQpfkHEWY-unsplash.jpeg
Travel experts from Escape shared six tips on how to save money while travelling. Credits: Unsplash

2. Search for an additional evening at no extra cost

According to the Digital Editor, Rowena Ryan, ‘I’m a fan of the “stay for three, pay for two” deals, especially when you already know the hotel so it’s a no-risk situation. I often see Qualia on Hamilton Island offer this deal and when you think that the nightly rate is around $1900, it’s a massive saving for a seriously spectacular resort,’ she said.

3. Prioritise travelling by air

Kelly Armstrong, Managing Editor, said ‘My deal go-to is flights. I look for a really good deal on a return flight—whether it’s a price discount, double points or extra status credits. I recently got return flights for two to Bali with Virgin for just over $1000.’

4. Look for cruise deals

Cruise Writer Andrea Black recommended cashing in on cruises.

She said, ‘Some of the best deals are cruise deals—especially those that offer flight credit (Viking has one now offering a $3000 credit). Then I scan travel sites such as Flatbeds to see if there’s an amazing business-class deal to Europe—they come up if you’re willing to get there on a less direct route.’

5. Secure a complimentary massage

David Smiedt, Lists Editor, said that he looks for spa credits or treatment inclusions.

‘They can be pricey off the menu but using them on day one is a great way to start a holiday,’ he explained.

6. Look for buy-one-get-one-free deals or solo discounts

According to Mercedes Maguire, Deals Editor, she often looks for a two-for-one deal offer, saying, ‘With so many deals crossing my desk, my wishlist is like the paper version of a precarious Jenga tower.’

TripADeal has some amazing ones that often include return airfares, so they’re fantastic value. And with solo travel on the rise, I know our readers always appreciate offers waiving the single supplement from companies like Wendy Wu Tours and G Adventures,’ she recommended.

Aside from these, there are also other travel tricks that can help you save money while on a holiday.

While you’re at it, you might also want to check out these travel must-haves recommended by seasoned travellers.
Key Takeaways

• Travel experts from Escape such as Editor-in-Chief, Kerrie McCallum, emphasised the value of choosing fly-and-stay packages to streamline travel planning, and highlighted the importance of having breakfast included as part of the accommodation deal.
  • They also recommended looking for bonus night deals and focusing on flights so maximise your money.
  • Other experts also suggested browsing for cruise deals and offers including a free massage to start your holiday.
  • Another advised to look for two-for-one deals, or to know where to find savings for solo travellers.
Have you experienced these bonuses on your travels? Do you have other travel tips? Share them with us in the comments below.

Sponsored