Discover the surprising travel essentials seasoned adventurers swear by!

Travel is a thrilling adventure, a chance to explore new cultures, taste exotic cuisines, and create memories that last a lifetime.

However, it can also be a source of stress, especially when it comes to packing.

What should you bring? What can you leave behind? What are the must-haves that you've never even considered?

Recently, a social media user posed a question to a travel community, asking for their off-the-beaten-path travel essentials.

The responses were enlightening, revealing a treasure trove of items seasoned travellers swear by.

Screenshot 2024-02-05 124710.png
Seasoned travellers on social media share their essentials during an adventure. Image: Freepik

Here are some of the most intriguing and unexpected travel essentials that could make your next trip smoother and more enjoyable.

1. ‘Laundry detergent in the form of sheets. I got them on Amazon, so I don’t have to buy laundry detergent,’ said one user.

2. ‘An S-shaped hook is always in my toiletries bag. Handy if the showers don't have a way to hang clothes,’ said another.

3. 'Ziploc bags,’ said a third.

4. ‘A simple dry bag: keep dirty clothes from making the rest of your backpack smell, keep electronics dry, or work as a collapsible grocery bag in a pinch. I most often use it to do laundry while travelling, though. I fill the dry bag (with dirty clothes) with warm water, add detergent, close it, and knead/agitate around for a while. The agitation is what really cleans the clothes, and that is something that is difficult to achieve in a sink. When done, let the soapy water out and rinse the clothes. Hang the dry bag along with the clothes to dry it so it's ready to use again,’ one shared.

5. ‘I have a USB plug in fan that goes everywhere with me. Tiny and quiet, but has made some stiflingly hot nights a bit more bearable,’ another said.

6. 'I always bring a pashmina or long scarf to wear on cold planes. I also wear it in warm weather in restaurants that are freezing due to air conditioning,’ one expressed.

7. 'If you’re solo backpacking, a door stopper. So you can always be sure the door stays closed,' said another.

8. 'I always bring a small extension cord so I can charge my phone on the bed,' one said.

9. 'A little bag with basic OTC medications (paracetamol, etc.). It's much easier to deal with a minor illness if you aren't trying to also juggle finding out where to find these things and what they're called wherever you happen to be,' another said.

Screenshot 2024-02-05 134858.png
It always pays to have a medicine kit when travelling, especially in far-flung areas. Image: Reddit

10. 'Reusable shopping bag. You can just fold it and put it in a purse or daypack. It can double as a beach bag or be used for grocery/snack runs. I always bring one when I travel,' one said.

11. 'I like the soft silicone earplugs that have a little nylon rope between each plug. Keeps my travel buddy's snoring from disturbing me at night. And if one falls out, just follow the cord to find it. Also handy for the aeroplane if you are by cranky babies or loudly sleeping adults. I bring a few so I can share with others,' another said.

12. 'One large-ish spoon and a pair of (reusable) chopsticks so that you can sometimes buy food from the grocery store on the go (or stir your coffee),' one said.

13. 'Retractable portable clothesline,' another said

14. 'Empty pillowcase to stuff with bulky jackets/coats for travelling. Can be folded up snug when not in use,' one said.

15. 'I often travel light (short trips on budget airlines), but regardless of how much baggage I take, I always take a couple of Compeed blister plasters in my wallet,' another said.

Screenshot 2024-02-05 134928.png
If your feet get blisters easily when travelling, you might want some blister plasters ready so you can continue on your journey. Image: Reddit

16. 'Small roll of electrician's tape. Easy to tear off a little bit and apply to every single little LED in a hotel room that seems to blaze with the light of a thousand suns when you turn off the light at night,' one said.

17. 'An Airfly. It’s a little device you plug into the flight entertainment plug so you can use your AirPods with the entertainment system,' another said.

18. 'Headlamp. Usefulness may vary depending on your destination and activities planned,' one said.

19. 'Small sewing kit with safety pins,' another said.

20. 'Not just a charging cord for your phone, but one of those 6 to 10 foot long ones, because sometimes outlets or USB charging ports are in stupid places in hotel rooms,' one said.

21. 'Baby wipes,' another said.

Screenshot 2024-02-05 135407.png
Baby wipes can be very useful and functional when travelling, especially if you have grandchildren around. Image: Reddit

22. 'Charcoal tablets. Helps massively with digestive issues (although can interfere with some medications),' one said.

23. 'Plastic zip ties (wire ties). They can fix damaged luggage straps, make hanging loops, and so much more. I even used some as a trousers belt on a week-long sailing trip,' another said.

24. 'Take photos of all your important documents such as passport, insurance docs, rental docs, emergency contacts, etc., and email to yourself or store on the Cloud,' one said.

25. 'Portable carbon monoxide detector. Saw a newscaster mention it was something he always takes on travel. Less than $10 and gives me peace of mind,' another said.

These unconventional travel essentials reveal the wisdom of seasoned travellers and their ability to adapt and overcome common travel challenges.

So, before you embark on your next adventure, consider adding some of these items to your packing list. You might be surprised at how useful they can be!

Key Takeaways
  • Seasoned travellers shared their unique essentials for travel that go beyond basic packing lists.
  • Some items recommended include laundry detergent sheets, an S-shaped hook, a USB plug-in fan, a dry bag, and a portable extension cord.
  • A pashmina or long scarf, a door stopper, reusable shopping bags, basic medications, and a small sewing kit were suggested to enhance travel experiences.
  • Travellers also advised bringing items like a headlamp, a portable clothesline, a long charging cord for phones, earplugs with a rope, and a portable carbon monoxide detector for safety and convenience.

Do you have any unique travel essentials that you swear by? We'd love to hear about them in the comments below!

Sponsored