Unlock the Secrets to Quality Sleep: Sleep Experts Expose Bedtime Habits You Must Adopt (And What to Avoid)!

As the sun sets and the day winds down, our thoughts often turn to the comfort of our beds and the promise of a restful night's sleep. But for many, especially those of us in the over 60s bracket, achieving that blissful state of slumber can be as elusive as a dream itself. Fear not, dear members of the Seniors Discount Club, for sleep experts have come to our rescue with a treasure trove of bedtime habits that could unlock the secrets to quality sleep.

The two hours before bedtime are crucial, a sacred time that can set the stage for either a night of sweet dreams or restless tossing and turning. Dr. Ankit Parekh, an assistant professor of sleep medicine at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, has shared with us a guide to the dos and don'ts that can help us drift off into a deep, healing sleep without any medical intervention.

shutterstock_1702426363.jpg
Have you known these dos and don'ts of sleeping? Credit: Shutterstock

**The Evening Ritual: What to Avoid**

Let's start with what to steer clear of as the evening draws in. While some habits might seem harmless, they could be the culprits behind your sleep disturbances.

- **Spicy and Fatty Foods**: That late-night curry or slice of chocolate cake might satisfy your taste buds, but it could wreak havoc on your sleep. Spicy and fatty foods can lead to indigestion and heartburn, which are not only uncomfortable but can also interrupt your sleep cycle.

- **Caffeine and Alcohol**: Love an evening cup of coffee or a nightcap before bed? It might be time to reconsider. Caffeine can stay active in your system for up to six hours, keeping you wired when you should be winding down. Alcohol, on the other hand, might make you drowsy at first, but it disrupts the quality of your sleep, particularly the restorative REM stage.

- **Intense Cardio Exercise**: Regular exercise is fantastic for overall health and sleep quality, but timing is key. High-intensity workouts rev up your heart rate and body temperature, which can make it difficult to fall asleep if done too close to bedtime.

- **Screen Time**: In the digital age, screens are everywhere, but they should not be in your bedroom as you prepare for sleep. The blue light emitted by phones, tablets, and laptops can interfere with the production of melatonin, the hormone that signals to your body it's time to sleep.

**The Path to Dreamland: What to Embrace**

Now, let's focus on the positive steps you can take to encourage a night of uninterrupted sleep.

- **Set the Scene**: Your bedroom should be a sanctuary designed for sleep. Keep it dark, quiet, and at a comfortable temperature, ideally between 66-72°F (18-22°C). A tidy, clutter-free environment can also promote a more restful state of mind.

- **Mindfulness and Relaxation**: Engage in calming activities such as meditation, deep breathing exercises, or gentle yoga to help soothe your mind and prepare your body for sleep.

- **Consistent Routine**: Establish a nightly routine that signals to your body it's time to wind down. This could include reading a book, listening to soft music, or taking a warm bath. Consistency is key, as it trains your body to recognize when it's time to sleep.

- **Sunlight Exposure**: During the day, make sure to get plenty of natural sunlight. This helps maintain your circadian rhythm, ensuring that when nighttime comes, your body is ready for rest.

- **Regular Sleep Schedule**: Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, even on weekends. This regularity supports your body's internal clock and can improve the quality of your sleep.

Incorporating these expert tips into your evening routine can make a world of difference in your quest for quality sleep. Remember, sleep is not just a luxury; it's a vital component of our health and well-being, particularly as we age. By adopting these habits, you're not only investing in a good night's rest but also in your overall health.

Key Takeaways
  • Sleep experts suggest avoiding spicy and fatty foods before bedtime as they can lead to indigestion and impact sleep quality.
  • It's advised to avoid caffeine after 3 pm, limit alcohol consumption, and refrain from intense cardio exercises after 7 pm to avoid sleep disruption.
  • Creating a sleep-conducive environment includes setting the air conditioning to a comfortable temperature, keeping the bedroom tidy, and practicing relaxation techniques like mindfulness or deep breathing exercises.
  • Maintaining a consistent sleep schedule and getting plenty of sunlight during the day can help reinforce the body's circadian rhythm and promote better sleep quality.

We'd love to hear from you, our valued Seniors Discount Club members. Have you tried any of these tips? Do you have any bedtime rituals that work wonders for your sleep? Share your experiences in the comments below and let's help each other achieve the restful nights we deserve!

Sponsored
I don’t have any trouble getting to sleep so I’ll keep having my cuppa tea or coffee with a piece of toast and cheese on it while watching the idiot box in bed thanks.👍
Lucky you! That sounds great! I fall asleep easily enough, but many nights I wake up and don’t fall back to sleep for an hour or two.

I do all these good things and none of the bad. But I have a question. I read every night before I drop off but I use a Kindle, as it's easier with the backlighting. I turn the light down to 3% and it goes orange.
Could using my Kindle make it harder to sleep?

I can sleep anywhere, any time. My claim to fame is I fell asleep during a Jimmy Barnes concert lol. Most nights I don’t remember going to bed as I fall asleep straight away. Only problem is I wake up as tired as I went to bed.

• Wow
Reactions: Littleboy8 and DLHM
Jarrah. French Vanilla Latte. 3 or 4 heaped teaspoons. Doesn't matter what time of the night it is, I never get to finish it. Always sends me to sleep in the lay back chair.
I checked out the ingredients of Jarrah French Vanilla Latte (available from Wollies), and some of them are
Emulsifiers [471 or 472c, 481, 322 (Soy)], Flavours [Including Vanilla Flavour (<0.1%) (Contains Milk)], Vegetable Gum (415), Anticaking Agent (551), Colour (160a).
From my point of view, too much of harmful staff. Easier would be to make a cup of instant coffee and add vanilla sugar to it.

• Love
Reactions: JimmyFlatrock
Thank you for the kind gesture.

The Jarrah is a relatively new addition for me. I have always been an extra strong black tea drinker. No sugar, no milk. 3 weeks ago I bought some Twinnings vanilla chai and that goes down really well and tastes strong enough for me if I put a small plate on the mug to make it a stronger brew. I've chucked the box it came in so can't read the ingredients.

I will take your advice and when all the half priced cans of Jarrah have gone, I will stop buying. I've been moving to consuming simpler, less processed and dropping stuff that has hints of nasties in it. The Jarrah must've slipped through to the keeper I think.

Thanks again. You're kindness has made me feel better than I already was.

Reactions: Tata and DLHM
I do all these good things and none of the bad. But I have a question. I read every night before I drop off but I use a Kindle, as it's easier with the backlighting. I turn the light down to 3% and it goes orange.
Could using my Kindle make it harder to sleep?
More than likely. The blue light from the screen affects sleep. My spectacles have an anti blue light coating which makes it easy to fall asleep in front of the TV.

I can sleep anywhere, any time. My claim to fame is I fell asleep during a Jimmy Barnes concert lol. Most nights I don’t remember going to bed as I fall asleep straight away. Only problem is I wake up as tired as I went to bed.
Hi Colette, do you know if you snore? If so it could be sleep apnea causing you to wake up tired. I had the same problem walso with tiredness during the day. I am on a cpap machine, while sleeping, which has totally changed my life. Talk to your doctor about your problem.

Reactions: Littleboy8
More than likely. The blue light from the screen affects sleep. My spectacles have an anti blue light coating which makes it easy to fall asleep in front of the TV.

Mine too. Now I know another reason I fall asleep so easily too early. Wake up at 3am raring to go.

Guess I’m just weird, but blue light doesn’t affect me that way at all. But I do realise blue light can prevent sleepiness in many or most people.