Unlock the secret to delicious veggies using this pasta water tip!

In the world of cooking, certain secrets give your dishes an edge that puts your culinary creations a cut above the rest.

Pasta water, the humble by-product of your spaghetti dinner, is one of the culinary secret weapons hiding in plain sight.

This starchy, well-seasoned liquid is a treasure trove of flavour, and it's time we put it to good use beyond just cooking pasta.

One of the most ingenious and underrated ways to utilise this is to cook vegetables in it.

This method not only imparts a rich flavour to your veggies but also helps them achieve a delightful crispness.

christine-sandu-5FAgfZiukEc-unsplash.jpg
Pasta water can be useful in making your vegetables more delicious and fresh. Credit: Unsplash

The beauty of this tip lies in its simplicity and versatility. It works exceptionally well with a wide range of in-season produce, allowing you to prepare them minimally while maximising their natural flavours.

Plus, reusing pasta water is a step towards achieving the much-desired one-pot dinner, making your weeknight cooking less of a chore.

Blanching is briefly cooking something in rapidly boiling water, followed by a quick dip in an ice bath to get vibrant vegetables.

But which veggies are the best candidates for this pasta water treatment?

As a rule of thumb, hearty, crunchy vegetables and bitter greens are your best bet.

Spring asparagus and pea shoots, summer corn and green beans, fall turnips and cauliflower, and early-winter broccoli rabe all take well to this method.

The key is to let the pasta water do its magic without overpowering the freshness of your in-season produce. Consider dropping a clove or two of smashed garlic into your pasta water for an added flavour punch.

To get the best results, opt for a large pot to cook your pasta and vegetables.

This aligns with the 'big-pot blanching' method popularised by renowned chef Thomas Keller, which advocates for ample room for the vegetables to cook for the best taste.

While vegetables cooked in seasoned pasta water are delectable on their own, you can elevate their flavour profile by sautéing them in olive oil or butter with garlic, salt and pepper, and lemon zest.

Since the veggies are already cooked, they only need a minute or two in the pan to soak up these additional flavours.

When you're ready to serve, combine your vegetables and pasta in one pot, squeeze some lemon juice over the mix, and add a dab of butter for good measure. And don't forget to keep that pasta water on hand!

Adding a splash or two to the pot will help all those delicious flavours adhere to your pasta strands.

The pasta water tip is more than just a cooking tip; it's a testament to the resourcefulness and creativity that can be found in the kitchen. Using pasta water to cook vegetables is rooted in maximising flavour and minimising waste.

Moreover, this tip aligns with the growing trend of sustainable cooking. By reusing pasta water, we're reducing kitchen waste and making the most of the resources at hand. It's a small step towards a more sustainable kitchen, but every little bit counts.

Suddenly craving pasta? Why not try this Spaghetti Aglio e Olio recipe posted by one of our SDC members? It takes only seven ingredients and less than 20 minutes to make. Check out the recipe here. Just make sure to save the pasta water for later use!
Key Takeaways
  • Pasta water, after being used to cook pasta, can be reused to cook vegetables, providing them with added flavour and crispness.
  • Some vegetables respond better to the blanching process, with hearty, crunchy vegetables and bitter greens recommended.
  • Cooked vegetables can be further enhanced with a short sauté in olive oil or butter with garlic, salt and pepper, and lemon zest.
  • Saving some pasta water can also benefit the pasta dishes, helping the other flavours adhere to the pasta strands.
Have you tried this pasta water tip? Share your experiences and favourite vegetable-pasta combinations in the comments below!

• Love
Reactions: Sockjoan
Sponsored
In the world of cooking, certain secrets give your dishes an edge that puts your culinary creations a cut above the rest.

Pasta water, the humble by-product of your spaghetti dinner, is one of the culinary secret weapons hiding in plain sight.

This starchy, well-seasoned liquid is a treasure trove of flavour, and it's time we put it to good use beyond just cooking pasta.

One of the most ingenious and underrated ways to utilise this is to cook vegetables in it.

This method not only imparts a rich flavour to your veggies but also helps them achieve a delightful crispness.

View attachment 37469
Pasta water can be useful in making your vegetables more delicious and fresh. Credit: Unsplash

The beauty of this tip lies in its simplicity and versatility. It works exceptionally well with a wide range of in-season produce, allowing you to prepare them minimally while maximising their natural flavours.

Plus, reusing pasta water is a step towards achieving the much-desired one-pot dinner, making your weeknight cooking less of a chore.

Blanching is briefly cooking something in rapidly boiling water, followed by a quick dip in an ice bath to get vibrant vegetables.

As a rule of thumb, hearty, crunchy vegetables and bitter greens are your best bet.

Spring asparagus and pea shoots, summer corn and green beans, fall turnips and cauliflower, and early-winter broccoli rabe all take well to this method.

The key is to let the pasta water do its magic without overpowering the freshness of your in-season produce. Consider dropping a clove or two of smashed garlic into your pasta water for an added flavour punch.

This aligns with the 'big-pot blanching' method popularised by renowned chef Thomas Keller, which advocates for ample room for the vegetables to cook for the best taste.

While vegetables cooked in seasoned pasta water are delectable on their own, you can elevate their flavour profile by sautéing them in olive oil or butter with garlic, salt and pepper, and lemon zest.

Since the veggies are already cooked, they only need a minute or two in the pan to soak up these additional flavours.

When you're ready to serve, combine your vegetables and pasta in one pot, squeeze some lemon juice over the mix, and add a dab of butter for good measure. And don't forget to keep that pasta water on hand!

Adding a splash or two to the pot will help all those delicious flavours adhere to your pasta strands.

The pasta water tip is more than just a cooking tip; it's a testament to the resourcefulness and creativity that can be found in the kitchen. Using pasta water to cook vegetables is rooted in maximising flavour and minimising waste.

Moreover, this tip aligns with the growing trend of sustainable cooking. By reusing pasta water, we're reducing kitchen waste and making the most of the resources at hand. It's a small step towards a more sustainable kitchen, but every little bit counts.

Suddenly craving pasta? Why not try this Spaghetti Aglio e Olio recipe posted by one of our SDC members? It takes only seven ingredients and less than 20 minutes to make. Check out the recipe here. Just make sure to save the pasta water for later use!
Key Takeaways

• Pasta water, after being used to cook pasta, can be reused to cook vegetables, providing them with added flavour and crispness.
  • Some vegetables respond better to the blanching process, with hearty, crunchy vegetables and bitter greens recommended.
  • Cooked vegetables can be further enhanced with a short sauté in olive oil or butter with garlic, salt and pepper, and lemon zest.
  • Saving some pasta water can also benefit the pasta dishes, helping the other flavours adhere to the pasta strands.
Have you tried this pasta water tip? Share your experiences and favourite vegetable-pasta combinations in the comments below!
Same effect with spud water.

Well, I never thought of that!

I wonder what SDC's chef extraordinaire, @Suzanne rose's take on this is!
I've tried it and don't like it.
I find the water is very starchy . Although , vegetables you cook this way really is just blanching, in and out.
I don't Blanche vegetables unless the recipe calls for it .
I love steamed vegies which are the best.

The blanching technique is good for when you are making a vegetable pasta which I will do but vegetables are blanched first then the pasta is cooked

With vegetables that need a little more time, like broccoli or broccolini, you can blanch and remove them before the pasta goes in. I will use this technique in my recipe for Linguine with Broccolini, Pancetta, and Parmesan. Cook vegetables in the salted pasta water before the pasta goes in Is as far as I will go.

They say pasta water has vitamins and minerals !!! Really where ???
Pasta is a starchy food abd the water is starchy.
Have you even left pasta water over night. It turns into glue

I find the water is very starchy . Although , vegetables you cook this way really is just blanching, in and out.

The blanching technique is good for when you are making a vegetable pasta which I will do but vegetables are blanched first then the pasta is cooked

With vegetables that need a little more time, like broccoli or broccolini, you can blanch and remove them before the pasta goes in. I will use this technique in my recipe for Linguine with Broccolini, Pancetta, and Parmesan. Cook vegetables in the salted pasta water before the pasta goes in Is as far as I will go.

You are absolutely correct on all counts! Thank you @Suzanne rose.

Steaming vegetables is by far the best.

This is a recipe some may find interestng from our friends across the water from the land of aotearoa.
REWENNA (leavening for Maori Bread)
(A)

My son inlaw is Maori and I've tried this but he makes it with normal water
My son inlaw is Maori and I've tried this but he makes it with normal water
So have I, but there is a distinct difference in the favour and texture, mush the same also with making the french Baguette. All the best for the coming season's festivities.

Reactions: Suzanne rose

View attachment 37469

Key Takeaways

It might be appropriate for those who use pasta frequently, but for most Aussies, stick to the tried and true method. "Bland" vegetables, my arse!