Unlock the secret shopping list: The best and worst of Kmart's Anko range

Everyone loves a good bargain, and for many, Kmart is the go-to destination for affordable homewares and appliances.

But with so many choices on offer, how do you know what's actually worth buying?

Experts at consumer advocacy group CHOICE has the answer. They put dozens of Kmart's Anko-branded products to the test over the past year and identified the best and worst ones, helping you make smart choices for your next Kmart shopping trip.

Most savvy shoppers go to Kmart for affordable laundry and cleaning product options. Among the Anko range, CHOICE has identified the best value for money.

For one, reviewers said the 1300W Steam Mop is worth its $49 price point. It is easy to use and leaves minimal water residue. It even holds its own against far more expensive products.

Screenshot 2024-02-26 114554.png
1300W Steam Mop, $49. Image source: Kmart

Ironing is undoubtedly one of the most dreaded household chores. For those who dislike the task, the last thing they want is to spend a small fortune on a quality iron.

Luckily, reviewers shared that the retailer’s $29 2400W Steam Iron and $39 Cordless Iron performed impressively in CHOICE’s tests.

While Kmart offers a $7.50 option, it remains untested, so the group can’t say if it’s worth buying.

Meanwhile, the $39 Hand Held Garment Steamer and $55 full-sized Garment Steamer performed adequately overall, though not without some caveats.

For instance, the handheld model had difficulty removing creases from cotton, linen, and poly-cotton. Similarly, the full-sized model was not able to perform well on linen.

Moreover, the handheld version lacks an auto shut-off feature, so the user must be mindful of turning it off after use. Additionally, its small tank size would require constant refilling if you have a large pile of clothes to steam.

In their cookware selection, the reviewers mentioned several worth buying, like the $19 24cm Frypan, the $14 24cm Aluminium 3 Layer Non-Stick Frypan and the $15 24cm Aluminium 4 Layer Non-Stick Frypan.

Screenshot 2024-02-26 120757.png
4L Cast Iron Casserole, $30. Image source: Kmart

Kmart's 4L Cast Iron Casserole, priced at $30, stood toe-to-toe with renowned brands like Le Creuset, Chasseur, and Staub in recent tests of casserole pots and Dutch ovens.

Fiona Mair, CHOICE Kitchen Expert, vouched for the 1.2L Food Processor, priced at $55.

‘The Kmart food processor is a very good performer that's great for chopping, slicing, mixing and emulsifying,’ she said.

‘It is a compact unit, so it's easier to store, and all blades are stored in the unit. It is quite noisy, though,’ she added.

The reviewers also praised the retailer's $55 Induction Cooker and $49 20L Microwave as good value for the money.

‘If you're looking for a basic compact microwave that reheats well and is great for cooking and defrosting, then the Anko 20-litre model is all you need,’ Fiona stated.

‘It is, however, only a 700W microwave, so reheating times will be a little slower than for a 900W or 1000W microwave,’ she explained.

According to CHOICE reviewers, Kmart's slow cookers exceeded the reviewers’ expectations. While they may not have the same features as pricier brands like Sunbeam, Breville, and Cuisinart, they still perform admirably.

They particularly recommended the $29 3L Slow Cooker and the $45 6.5L Digital Slow Cooker.

Screenshot 2024-02-26 130344.png
6.5 Litre Slow Cooker, $45. Image source: Kmart

Among the appliances, however, Kmart's toasters fall short of expectations. Despite their budget-friendly prices (with the priciest model at $39), they lack the performance and quality expected.

CHOICE experts stated that exploring other toaster brands will likely yield better results.

If you're considering grabbing a budget-friendly bench mixer from Kmart, CHOICE reviewers said that it might be wise to hold off and save up for a higher-performing model.

While Kmart's Bench Mixer is attractively priced at $75, its performance may not match your expectations.

Additionally, the retailer’s $59 Vacuum Food Sealer earned a mediocre overall score of 67 per cent on their tests.

While it fared better than some pricier options, their experts advised against purchasing it or any other vacuum sealer.

CHOICE reminded shoppers of the importance of considering the longevity of cheaper appliances despite some of the appliances tested performing well.

Often crafted with inexpensive materials and offering shorter warranties than their pricier counterparts, cheap appliances may pose durability concerns.

Moreover, sourcing replacement parts for these appliances can be challenging, if not impossible, and their design may hinder repair efforts, ultimately contributing to a shorter lifespan and potentially more waste in landfills.

While a budget-friendly appliance may seem like a steal initially, frequent replacements due to breakdowns can significantly inflate costs over time.

In such cases, opting for customer service from established brands may provide more reliable support compared to discount retailers. Remember, while a cheap appliance may save you money upfront, it could cost you more in the long run.

Key Takeaways

• CHOICE tested dozens of Kmart Anko products to determine which ones are worth the buy.
  • According to their reviews, Kmart's Irons, Garment Steamers, Frypans, Food Processor, and other products are highly recommended and worth purchasing.
  • Buyers should be cautious with some appliances, such as Toasters and Vacuum Sealers, which did not perform well in tests.
  • While Kmart's prices are attractive, the longevity and durability of cheaper appliances should be considered, as they may cost more in the long run due to replacements.

How about you members? What are your best and worst buys from Kmart? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
I had kmart microwave for 10 years and it was absolutely brilliant. I only got a new one when 2 of the children moved back home and we needed a larger more powerful unit. It held its value so well, I sold it at my garage sale. The person who brought it , used it to prepare dog food in her garage. I wonder if it's still working.

Though I have some of these and other Kmart items all in all I am very disappointed that the ANKO range is made in China. I thought Kmart was moving away from made in China but obviously not so. Sad

I’ve had 2 of the two slice toasters in the last 4-5 months or so and they keep tripping my power. My daughter said to make sure to remove any crumbs each time I use it which I do but that hasn’t solved the situation.

I like the fact that I can buy two or three new ones for the price of a branded one. Nice to have new ones. I know not environmentally friendly but the people who complain buy other useless stuff that I don’t.

I just purchased an Anko microwave after my Sharp microwave had the gaul to die after 30 years. Don't expect to get too much life out of the Anko but it will suffice for heating up meals. As for irons, because I sew I pay more for a Philips.

Reactions: IAN3005
I’ve had 2 of the two slice toasters in the last 4-5 months or so and they keep tripping my power. My daughter said to make sure to remove any crumbs each time I use it which I do but that hasn’t solved the situation.
The toasters didn’t rank too highly

I just purchased an Anko microwave after my Sharp microwave had the gaul to die after 30 years. Don't expect to get too much life out of the Anko but it will suffice for heating up meals. As for irons, because I sew I pay more for a Philips.
Things don't last the way they used to...30 years is a good run... the problem is it costs more to repair them than the cost of a new one.. consumerism... even at home doing it yourself.

• Sad
Reactions: Liz
Things don't last the way they used to...30 years is a good run... the problem is it costs more to repair them than the cost of a new one.. consumerism... even at home doing it yourself.
Sad but true.

My best buys have been my Mini blender 8 years still going strong. I needed a new microwave and wanted a airfryer, but not alot of bench space. I now have a Airfryer microwave, convection, grill. Fits perfectly in my old LG microwave spot. I never use our oven now so thats clean. power bills gone down. I have had it just under a year use it every night.

Though I have some of these and other Kmart items all in all I am very disappointed that the ANKO range is made in China. I thought Kmart was moving away from made in China but obviously not so. Sad
Just as an trivial, time-wasting exercise, when you next visit your local, friendly Kmart, try to find an AUSTRALIAN item, branded as such ... rotsa ruck, kid.

My best buys have been my Mini blender 8 years still going strong. I needed a new microwave and wanted a airfryer, but not alot of bench space. I now have a Airfryer microwave, convection, grill. Fits perfectly in my old LG microwave spot. I never use our oven now so thats clean. power bills gone down. I have had it just under a year use it every night.
Can you please share what brand and model this is? 🙏

Reactions: Jen Avo