Unlock the secret of a sparkling clean washing machine using these everyday household items

For our members keen to keep their living space spick and span, tackling your washing machine is a vital task. Nobody enjoys looking at a dingy machine, and we don’t want to put our clothing into an unclean space.

That’s why we were happy to discover this amazing tutorial by Suzie Durigon, a self-described 'hack queen' from Canada, who has revealed a step-by-step method for cleaning your washing machine using only everyday household items–and the results speak for themselves!

Durigon began her video by encouraging viewers to give their washing machine a deep clean 'every six months to a year', especially for front-loading models, because as she puts it, 'they can smell so bad'. Yuck!

photo (6).jpg
Suzie Durigon shared tips on how to clean a washing machine. Credit: @therealjustcrumbs/TikTok

Her first step was for those with a front loader to open a small panel to locate a tube and gasket. According to her, this step may require the help of a plumber for back-loading models. Then, she removes the tube and gasket, which catches gunk that’s fallen off of clothing, and rinses them after taking them out.

Next, she stuffs a few 'old rags' soaked in bleach underneath the machine’s circular rubber seal before squeezing the bleach out of the rags and into the drum.

Durigon then adds bicarb soda, sliced lime, or a lemon substitute to the drum. She pours some vinegar into the compartments of the machine, where you usually add the detergent.

She sets the machine to a 'regular wash' on the hottest temperature setting and lets it run an entire cycle. Afterwards, wipe down the front of the door to ensure all excess moisture is gone.

The video is now viral, with over one million views, and those who have seen it and tried it are left feeling impressed and appreciative of this hack.

One comment read, 'Thanks for these tips... I know what I’ll be doing today!'

While another said, 'Weirdly, I love a good washing machine clean–both doing my own and watching videos!'

However, some commenters have pointed out the need to be cautious when doing this process, with one warning, 'Girl, please wear gloves when using bleach.'

‘Never ever mix bleach and vinegar!’ exclaimed a second.

Dear members, please know the dangers of mixing bleach and vinegar. According to Healthline, it can produce lethal chlorine gas. If you smell something unusual, evacuate the area and get fresh air.

Key Takeaways
  • A content creator, Suzie Durigon, has revealed her method of deep cleaning a front-load washing machine using household items.
  • Durigon's method involves draining the dirty water and sediment from the washing machine through a tube, cleaning the gasket, and using bleach-soaked rags to clean the rubber seal.
  • The cleaning process includes adding bicarb soda and a sliced lime to the drum, pouring vinegar into the detergent compartments, and running the machine at the hottest temperature.
  • However, many viewers cautioned about the dangers of using bare hands with bleach and the dangerous gas that can be produced by mixing bleach and vinegar.

Watch the full tutorial here:

No matter how you do it, cleaning your machine will give your living space a much-needed facelift.

Do you have similar tips on deep cleaning common household appliances, dear members? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
That's lazy and disgusting!
I always wipe the rubber seal, door etc. after every wash, with a damp microfibre cloth.
A while ago, I had to replace our 11 yr old front loader, and the rubber seals still looked like new.

Reactions: MariaG
That's lazy and disgusting!
I always wipe the rubber seal, door etc. after every wash, with a damp microfibre cloth.
A while ago, I had to replace our 11 yr old front loader, and the rubber seals still looked like new.
I'm with Penny.
I have a front loader and always wipe the seals and quick wipe the glass (with microfibre) after every wash. Once a month I whack in a de-scaler (cheap as I can get) and put it on tub clean cycle.
I don't think I would ever go back to a top loader. Too much agitation is not good for the clothes and lint gets into everything. I have never had any problems with my front loader and it uses less water.

Reactions: Penny4
I'm with Penny.
I have a front loader and always wipe the seals and quick wipe the glass (with microfibre) after every wash. Once a month I whack in a de-scaler (cheap as I can get) and put it on tub clean cycle.
I don't think I would ever go back to a top loader. Too much agitation is not good for the clothes and lint gets into everything. I have never had any problems with my front loader and it uses less water.
Yeah! My new front loader lets me know every 100 washes to do a clean. I select the drum clean programme, and it cleans the drum itself, with an extremely hot water cycle. Instructions with the machine is half the usual amount of detergent with it being empty.
Plus, user-pay now with water bills - front loaders have a huge advantage.

Reactions: MariaG
For our members keen to keep their living space spick and span, tackling your washing machine is a vital task. Nobody enjoys looking at a dingy machine, and we don’t want to put our clothing into an unclean space.

That’s why we were happy to discover this amazing tutorial by Suzie Durigon, a self-described 'hack queen' from Canada, who has revealed a step-by-step method for cleaning your washing machine using only everyday household items–and the results speak for themselves!

Durigon began her video by encouraging viewers to give their washing machine a deep clean 'every six months to a year', especially for front-loading models, because as she puts it, 'they can smell so bad'. Yuck!

View attachment 27257
Suzie Durigon shared tips on how to clean a washing machine. Credit: @therealjustcrumbs/TikTok

Her first step was for those with a front loader to open a small panel to locate a tube and gasket. According to her, this step may require the help of a plumber for back-loading models. Then, she removes the tube and gasket, which catches gunk that’s fallen off of clothing, and rinses them after taking them out.

Next, she stuffs a few 'old rags' soaked in bleach underneath the machine’s circular rubber seal before squeezing the bleach out of the rags and into the drum.

Durigon then adds bicarb soda, sliced lime, or a lemon substitute to the drum. She pours some vinegar into the compartments of the machine, where you usually add the detergent.

She sets the machine to a 'regular wash' on the hottest temperature setting and lets it run an entire cycle. Afterwards, wipe down the front of the door to ensure all excess moisture is gone.

The video is now viral, with over one million views, and those who have seen it and tried it are left feeling impressed and appreciative of this hack.

One comment read, 'Thanks for these tips... I know what I’ll be doing today!'

While another said, 'Weirdly, I love a good washing machine clean–both doing my own and watching videos!'

However, some commenters have pointed out the need to be cautious when doing this process, with one warning, 'Girl, please wear gloves when using bleach.'

‘Never ever mix bleach and vinegar!’ exclaimed a second.

Dear members, please know the dangers of mixing bleach and vinegar. According to Healthline, it can produce lethal chlorine gas. If you smell something unusual, evacuate the area and get fresh air.

Key Takeaways

• A content creator, Suzie Durigon, has revealed her method of deep cleaning a front-load washing machine using household items.
  • Durigon's method involves draining the dirty water and sediment from the washing machine through a tube, cleaning the gasket, and using bleach-soaked rags to clean the rubber seal.
  • The cleaning process includes adding bicarb soda and a sliced lime to the drum, pouring vinegar into the detergent compartments, and running the machine at the hottest temperature.
  • However, many viewers cautioned about the dangers of using bare hands with bleach and the dangerous gas that can be produced by mixing bleach and vinegar.

Watch the full tutorial here:

No matter how you do it, cleaning your machine will give your living space a much-needed facelift.

Do you have similar tips on deep cleaning common household appliances, dear members? Share them in the comments below!

Do you do the same for top loaders