Netflix Australia increases subscription fees in discreet announcement

With the advent of technology, TV and movie fans can enjoy watching series and movies at their own pace.

With streaming platforms popping up everywhere, consumers can become overwhelmed with options, which can also deplete their wallets.

A streaming giant recently made a move that raised its Aussie subscribers' eyebrows.

Netflix increased its prices across all subscription tiers in Australia by 13 per cent, leaving many to wonder about the value they're getting for their money.

The standard subscription with ads, previously priced at $6.99 a month, was bumped up to $7.99.

This tier offered a cost-effective way to access a library of shows and movies. However, with the new price tag, subscribers might need to reassess the value of this service.

compressed-pexels-cottonbro-4009402.jpeg
Netflix Australia announced a price increase via email, which may shock subscribers. Image Credit: Pexels/Cottonbro Studio

The standard subscription without ads has jumped from $16.99 to $18.99 for those who prefer an uninterrupted viewing experience.

While a $2 increase might not seem like much, that's an additional $24 out of your pocket annually.

For those who've woven Netflix into their daily lives, this price hike is not just a minor inconvenience; it's a significant change affecting household budgets.

The premium subscription, which caters to families and shared households by allowing streaming on four devices simultaneously, has gone from $22.99 to $25.99.

There were no changes for the extra member subscription, which may be a slight relief for users.

'We offer a range of prices and plans to meet a wide range of needs, and as we deliver more value to our members, we occasionally ask them to pay a bit more,' a Netflix spokesperson stated.

'We're adjusting prices in Australia with plans starting at $7.99AUD.'

However, not all subscribers have been made aware of these changes.

Netflix started notifying their members last May 13 via email—30 days before their next billing cycle.

This means some customers may get caught off guard when they see their bill statements.

If you're a Netflix subscriber and have not received an email, it might be coming soon.

Keep an eye on your inbox to avoid any surprises.

As we all know, living costs are rising, and every dollar counts.

With essentials taking a bigger bite out of our wallets, increasing our Netflix subscription might prompt us to question whether we truly need all those extra shows and movies.
Key Takeaways

• Netflix increased its subscription prices across all tiers in Australia.
  • The standard subscription with ads went up from $6.99 to $7.99 per month, and the standard subscription without ads rose from $16.99 to $18.99.
  • The premium subscription, which allows family sharing, went up from $22.99 to $25.99 monthly.
  • Netflix emailed their members about the increase 30 days before their next billing cycle.
What do you think about this price increase? Is Netflix's convenience and variety still worth the extra cost, or are you considering cutting back on your subscription or even cancelling it altogether? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
They clearly told me it was going up.
I was lucky I called foxtel to see if they could better my price. I made out I was going to cut it.

I was paying $125 for foxtel plus $20 Netflix. Foxtel reduced my price to $90 without taking away any of my channels plus they transferred my Netflix to my foxtel account for no more cost.
So I'm paying $90 for both. Saying $35 on foxtel plus $20 on Netflix.

If my bill goes up I always call and get a great deal.

I also call my energy provider every 6 months to check I'm on the best plan

Everything is rising monthly, we are getting rid of all streaming services as we can no longer afford them. or in fact any so called luxuries. Gone are the days when we had money and could enjoy these things.

Reactions: Shirley whinray
I was lucky I called foxtel to see if they could better my price. I made out I was going to cut it.

I was paying $125 for foxtel plus $20 Netflix. Foxtel reduced my price to $90 without taking away any of my channels plus they transferred my Netflix to my foxtel account for no more cost.

Well done @Suzanne rose 👍🏻

ar
l had Foxtel years ago and found it too expensive.You are paying too much even for them both.lf you had Netflix and Stan it would be much less and below $40 a month.Why do you need Foxtel? None of my business just trying to help. Also have you tried Tubi ? thats free but has just two ads lasting less than a minute.

Reactions: DLHM and MariaG
l had Foxtel years ago and found it too expensive.You are paying too much even for them both.lf you had Netflix and Stan it would be much less and below $40 a month.Why do you need Foxtel? None of my business just trying to help. Also have you tried Tubi ? thats free but has just two ads lasting less than a minute.
So much free stuff out there if you look. Tubi and DailyMotion for your obscure movies. You can also get Kanopy through your local library which is more documentary and factual based.

i am a single person and pay the same as a household and i would be lucky to use my netflix more than 4 times a month
the only reason i kept it was to see the ending of series i have ben watching
i have waited over 2 years and still not seen the shows next episode in the series
NOW TH PRICES HAVE GONE UP I THINK I WILL CANCEL MY SERVICE FROM THEM

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM
why is it necessary considering how many people use it and that we cant share it as much as we could. downright greed

I ditched Netflix when the price hit $12.99. I havn't paid to watch a movie since thanks to free web based movies. No subscriptions and no ads and a bigger selection of content. Why pay scammers like Nerflix when you have it all for nothing.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
So much free stuff out there if you look. Tubi and DailyMotion for your obscure movies. You can also get Kanopy through your local library which is more documentary and factual based.
Kanopy also has cult, obscure and silent movies for the connoisseur of all things film.

You can sign up for free using your library card details and email. I can still get it using a Melbourne based library card even though I live in Perth now.

Reactions: DLHM
It’s not a large increase, $1.00 per month, sure many can afford that.
I watch Netflix a lot, they update their movies, series etc constantly, if I did happen to go to the movies, would cost much more and that would be just for 1movie.
It’s the convenience more so, can sit in comfort, don’t have to drive and when my husband watching sport most days, I can watch what I want in another room.

Reactions: DLHM and Knell
I only watch free to air - during the ads I go and make myself a cup of tea. Beside some of the ads let you know what good bargains are out there. I do wish they would cancel the sports though - very boring

Amazon Prime will be starting ads at July 2nd. Zero ads - will have to pay $3 extra. Won't be paying extra until we see what type of ads they are.

Reactions: Colette 3799
Amazon Prime will be starting ads at July 2nd. Zero ads - will have to pay $3 extra. Won't be paying extra until we see what type of ads they are.
I got that email today but nothing from Netflix. We only have the $6.99 (atm) Netflix subscription, my husband watches it regularly but I hardly use it. If I do want to watch something I wait till he’s gone to bed which is around 8.30, I’m a night owl so no need for multiple outlets

Reactions: Penny4