Unlock secret energy savings ahead of the anticipated $1.5 billion cash boost for 5 million Aussies.

As the cost of living continues to be a hot topic across Australia, particularly for those over 60 who are often on fixed incomes, the prospect of energy savings* is more than just welcome news—it's essential. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has hinted at the continuation of a $1.5 billion emergency energy rebate scheme come July, which could provide significant relief for around five million Australians who rely on these rebates to manage their household budgets.

However, savvy consumers don't need to wait for government intervention to start saving on their energy costs. The energy market is dynamic, and recent trends have shown a promising decrease in wholesale prices, which has led to some power companies offering deals that are significantly lower than the government reference price. These deals are not just marginal savings; they are hundreds of dollars cheaper*, providing a much-needed reprieve for budget-conscious households.

shutterstock_573975496 (2).jpg
Don’t pay more than what’s necessary. Savings ARE available. Image Credit: Shutterstock

To put these savings into perspective, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) disclosed late last year that approximately half of Australians were likely paying at or above the government reference price for energy. This means that many are missing out on potential savings. The good news is that there's been a surge in Aussies switching providers (around half a million)*, with the first few months of this year seeing the biggest shift since 2018.

Yet, there are still millions who haven't made the switch and are consequently paying more than necessary.

Recent data from Vinnies has highlighted the growing disparity between the best plans available in Victoria and the reference price, with the gap now at a staggering $725, compared to just $185 a year ago. This indicates that the cheapest plans are becoming even more affordable, and switching has never been simpler*.

For those ready to take control of their energy bills*, here are some practical steps to unlock these secret savings:

1. Compare Plans: Start by visiting comparison websites that can help you find the best deals. Our favourite is Compare Club*. Have your latest energy bill on hand, as it contains essential information needed for comparison.

Why do we trust Compare Club?*

You get the peace of mind that comes with working with trusted professionals who are based in Australia and have years of experience*.

The team at Compare Club* will make sure you have the energy plan you need while paying a price you’re comfortable with*.

So, if you’re sick of endlessly researching energy providers, are looking to save money or simply find a plan better suited to your needs, Compare Club is ready to help*. And if you don’t like the quote you receive from Compare Club*, you don’t have to do anything.

2. Look for Member Offers: Some organisations offer exclusive energy deals to their members. For instance, Kogan First members can access additional discounts, Commonwealth Bank of Australia customers might receive credits with Amber Electric, and NRMA offers a credit deal with Simply Energy (I’m on this last exclusive deal).

3. Cashback and Credits: Keep an eye out for plans that offer upfront credits or cashback deals, which can further reduce your energy costs. Just ensure that these plans are compared against the government reference price to ensure they are genuinely cost-effective (in late 2023, I received $300 off my bill just for switching providers).

4. Stay Proactive: Don't expect energy retailers to hand you the best deals on a silver platter. It's up to you to seek them out and switch to a plan that offers the most savings. That’s where comparison services come into play*.

5. Monitor Changes: The Australian Energy Regulator has indicated that there will be minimal changes to the government reference prices in July. Some regions may see a decrease, while others could experience an increase. Staying informed will help you make the best decision for your circumstances.

Key Takeaways
  • Prime Minister Anthony Albanese hints at the continuation of the $1.5 billion emergency energy rebate for around five million Australians.
  • Fresh, significantly cheaper energy deals are becoming available, potentially saving consumers hundreds of dollars below the government reference price.
  • Consumers are encouraged to switch to cheaper plans*, with the gap between the best deals and the reference price widening, evidenced by Vinnies' new data.

While the anticipated $1.5 billion cash boost is a helpful measure, it's clear that proactive steps can lead to immediate and substantial savings on energy bills*.

By comparing plans*, taking advantage of member offers, and utilising credits and cashback deals, you can unlock secret energy savings that will benefit your household budget.

Remember, the power to reduce your energy costs is in your hands, and help is available.

Don't wait for the government or your current energy provider to make the first move*.

It’s worth comparing your energy plan* to see if you can save money. You won’t lose anything by comparing; you only stand to save*!

Click here to get started and see how much you could save.*

Explore your options, switch to a cheaper plan*, and start enjoying the savings today.

If you have any tips or experiences with switching energy providers, please share them in the comments below. Your insights could help fellow members of the Seniors Discount Club find the best deals and manage their energy costs more effectively.

*Please note, members, that this is a sponsored article. All content of ours that has an asterisk next to it means we may get a commission to write an article or post a deal. We do this to assist with the costs of running the SDC. Thank you!

Sponsored
So of us only have one choice, and that is Ergon @ 34c per Kwh. How much are others paying.
Here in WA, Western Power charges $0.28 kW/hr, however since many people now have solar panels to beat the cost, Western Power have upped the daily connection fee, and solar panels can't really beat that.

I rang Compare Club, and they found me a very much cheaper alternative energy provider. Looks like I've made the right move, too as my first electricity bill is considerably lower than before. It was easy to switch.

I also looked for a new Health Insurance provider - after years with Medibank Private. I've saved nearly $50 a month, and I get more extras cover with it. Changed to Bupa.

So of us only have one choice, and that is Ergon @ 34c per Kwh. How much are others paying.
Im with you bud. Nth Qld here. Then i put on a 20k solar system with back up battery and they declare their infrastructure cant take the excess power back to the grid so they steal the 500kw a month i produce and pay me NOTHING!!!

• Wow
Reactions: June E
Im with you bud. Nth Qld here. Then i put on a 20k solar system with back up battery and they declare their infrastructure cant take the excess power back to the grid so they steal the 500kw a month i produce and pay me NOTHING!!!
Ergon is forcing us to go solar. They are a ripoff, and there is no alternative. Our power bill doubled. Thanks Ergon

I can't believe that. Of course the grid can handle it. Get an electrician out and have him disconnect your system from the grid. Throw it back in their face.
And DEMAND a refund on the cost of the installation... may as well pi** in the wind on that one.....

Reactions: maherdj
No there is no competition, but we are cheaper than most other states. When I lived in SA my power bills were astronomical and no amount of time wasting shopping around decreased them to WA prices.
You are dead right here in SA some suppliers are charging up to 0.59c/ Kw Hr 0.29c would be a dream here

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM