Unlock massive savings at the supermarket with these savvy bulk-buying tips

Navigating the labyrinth of supermarket aisles can be daunting, especially when you're on a mission to save money.

But fear not, fellow shoppers!

We're here to arm you with insider tips that could help you save $20 to $30 per week on your supermarket shopping.

Let's start with a common pitfall: the allure of bulk buying.

It's easy to get swept up in the excitement of a Costco trip, where everything seems like a bargain.

But as one Aussie shopper recently discovered, not all bulk buys are created equal.

SDC 4.png
A Costco shopper discovered that her purchase at the store was more expensive. Image source: Shutterstock.

During a recent Costco expedition, she spotted a package of 12 tinned diced tomatoes on sale for $14.99.

Given that her family uses tinned tomatoes frequently, she thought it was a great deal.

However, upon returning home and calculating the per-unit price, she realised she'd paid $1.24 per tin.

A quick online search revealed that both Coles and Woolies were selling them for as little as 95 cents per tin.

The lesson here?

Always calculate the unit price before making a bulk purchase.

And remember, just because you're at a discount retailer or buying in bulk doesn't automatically mean you're getting the best deal.

Another key piece of advice is to only buy the cheapest version of items that don't fluctuate in quality.

Basic items like tinned tomatoes, rice, pasta, and canned beans are usually the same quality regardless of the brand.

Now, let's delve into a step-by-step guide to maximise your savings when buying in bulk:

1. Identify Your Staples:
Chat with your family about the products you use most frequently. You'll want to focus on these items when looking for bulk deals.

2. Do Your Research: Use online resources to compare prices across different supermarkets. This will help you find the most affordable version of your staple items.

3. Devise a Plan: Once you've identified the best deals, devise a plan for dividing the items among your family members. Everyone can contribute to the cost and benefit from the savings.

4. Store Smartly: Make sure you have enough storage space in your pantry or freezer for bulk purchases. If you're buying fresh products, consider dividing them into usable servings before storing them.

5. Meal Plan: Create a meal plan incorporating your bulk items. This will ensure you're using them regularly and not wasting any food.

6. Stick to Your List: Don't include your bulk items when making your weekly or fortnightly grocery list. Resist the temptation to replace the cost of these items with other unnecessary purchases, too. The goal is to see a saving of $20-$30 per shop by stocking up on these items in advance.

7. Think Beyond Food: Don't limit your bulk buying to just food products. Cleaning supplies, toiletries, and other household items can also be bought in bulk for significant savings.

One of the best things you can do is start to bulk buy cleaning products from wherever they are the most affordable.

Sometimes this is Costco or ALDI, sometimes it is another supermarket, oftentimes it is Chemist Warehouse or The Reject Shop, and then there are those discount websites that sell them too.

Remember, the information provided here is general in nature and does not constitute personal financial advice. Always consider your personal objectives, financial situation, and needs before acting on any information.
Key Takeaways
  • A shopper made a bulk-buying error at Costco, assuming that tinned tomatoes would be cheaper due to buying in bulk at the discount store.
  • The shopper later realised that the per-unit price of the tinned tomatoes was higher at Costco compared to Coles and Woolworths.
  • The shopper provided tips to maximise savings when buying in bulk, including researching prices, planning with family, proper storage, and careful meal and shopping list planning.
What are your thoughts on these tips, dear members? Let us know your thoughts and some of your own tips in the comments below!

Sponsored
Surely people do this already,I make a list for my weekly shop and 95% of the time manage to stick to it. I never buy in bulk ,being on my own a lot will go to waste . Tried it years ago found it didn't work

Reactions: hinda and Ezzy
Our policy when shopping @ any Supermarket, especially if something is marked as a 'special price', is to work out approx what the cost is per 100 grams, for example, compared to a product not on special. Regularly we leave the 'Special priced' item on the shelf & buy the alternative.

Many years ago, when I was young,I used to bulk buy at theVic Markets or Prahran markets.l would split the purchases between five of us
We would wait until about 30 minutes
before closing time on Saturday mornings when the vendors would want to quit produce.
We would pick up fruit and veg by the carton for a song. Same thing with meat at the VicMarkets.
Don't know if they still do that but saved us all a fortune back then.
Nowadays I check the 50% off specials on the app first, then all other specials then I buy six if each, enough to last until the next time they are on special . I hardly ever pay full price for anything if I can help it.
Vitamins, makeup, etc from Chemist Warehouse when they are half price.
Kitty litter and boxes of dentastix (72 in a box)for the dogs at the Reject Shop. Always about half the price of elsewhere. My dogs all have the whitest teeth,saves heaps on vet bills

Reactions: 1951rlm and Ezzy
My wife has just caught on to what I've been saying for months, 'Go to the Reject shop'.

Came home yesterday & she said, 'Look what l bought @ the Reject shop for the clothes washing & saved a bit too'.

Guess the penny dropped.

Reactions: mylittletibbies