Union calls on Services Australia to change approach as negotiations continue

In a tumultuous year of changes, disruptions, and confusion, it’s no surprise to see people standing up for their rights and demanding better wages.

Given the vital role that Services Australia plays in propping up many Australians during more challenging times, it may come as a surprise that their staff are the ones in need of help this time.

At present, these workers are being offered a 10.5 per cent pay rise over three years in return for enhanced job security and workplace reforms.

Screenshot_3.png
A workers’ union is locked in intense negotiations with Services Australia over improved pay and other requests. Image Credit: Services Australia

However, the Commonwealth Public Sector Union (CPSU), which represents Services Australia staff, rejected this and is demanding a 20 per cent raise instead.

The union has also opposed changes proposed by Services Australia, which it claims 'would cut existing employee rights'. These changes reportedly affect rostering negotiations, agency performance obligations, and call monitoring.

CPSU National Secretary Melissa Donelly has put pressure on the government, pointing out that the reforms and claims proposed by Services Australia 'stand in stark contrast' with reforms and shares from other agencies.

‘CPSU members have been clear from the start—they want a pay rise that is on time, and they want to protect existing entitlements,’ she said.

‘Services Australia risk missing a valuable opportunity to rebuild and restore workplaces after years of attacks on pay and conditions.’

‘Attacking employees’ working conditions and rights is not only out of step with every other conversation happening across the APS, but it is out of step with the goals and commitments made by the Albanese Labor Government.

‘Our members in Services Australia have already been through so much and are calling on Services Australia to abandon this current approach.’

Donnelly also reiterated their stance, stressing that Services Australia is lagging behind its peers in progress.

'While the APSC (Australian Public Service Commission) and other agencies are generally taking a collaborative and positive approach to bargaining, Services Australia management seem to be stuck in the past with their agenda of cuts,’ she said.

‘No other agency has proposed cuts in this round of bargaining.'

Source: Facebook/CPSU - Community and Public Sector Union

On Tuesday, August 15, the staff of Services Australia took part in a one-hour work stoppage as a show of force.

This comes at the heels of weeks of action from CPSU, including protected industrial action through refusal to use codes that would enable higher-ups to track workers’ tasks.

Such an action would need approval from the Fair Work Commission and will be subject to a staff vote. The CPSU has satisfied these prerequisites.

Key Takeaways

• The Commonwealth Public Sector Union (CPSU) is labelling Services Australia as 'out of step' with its progress on proposed workplace reforms.
  • The CPSU is seeking a wage increase of 20 per cent over three years, which is almost double the offer from the federal government, and opposing proposed changes to workplace conditions.
  • The CPSU has satisfied the requirements for protected industrial action, with its members voting to support such action.

Meanwhile, Services Australia spokesperson Hank Jongen said Services Australia was prepared for worker stoppages as negotiations continue.

‘The recent auxiliary code ban had no impact on our services or customer payments, and we don’t expect this will either,’ he said.

‘We are committed to the bargaining process being as simple as possible for everyone and are taking a collaborative, problem-solving approach to the matters raised through bargaining.’

‘Services Australia is regularly engaging with the APSC as bargaining progresses.’

We understand that it's vital to protect the rights of all workers—especially those in the public sector—as they are essential to the continuing functioning of our society.

We hope all parties involved can settle amicably.

So, members: what are your thoughts on this? If you’ve had experience working for the government, what can you say about the union’s requests? Tell us below!

Sponsored
20% is ridiculous especially when they are the most incompetent bunch of people I have ever encountered. Most could do with more/better training, and they need to stop acting like it's their money they are being asked to part with.

• Angry
Reactions: siameezer
Instead of the hierarchy of Centrelink trying to screw their staff, like they do their genuine & needy clients, maybe if working conditions were more attractive, they might be able to attract more workers & improve the crap service we currently have to endure.
For an agency whose sole purpose is to help Australians in crisis, to have policies that make it so difficult to get in contact with a real person, is stupidity on steroids. And God forbid u happen to select the wrong robot option when attempting to call, you get barred from calling back until the next day.
To someone like me, who has worked their whole life and never needed Centrelink before, to find myself now in crisis & needing their assistance, I am totally unfamiliar with their systems and when there is no option to select that fits your enquiry, it is russian roulette to choose an option that will get though to a human being before being disconnected & cut off for the rest of the day.
Unbelievably appalling !

20% is ridiculous especially when they are the most incompetent bunch of people I have ever encountered. Most could do with more/better training, and they need to stop acting like it's their money they are being asked to part with.
Try working there and putting up with what they have to before sullying people like that. I can't believe the nastiness of some of the people commenting here!

Why not, food has gone up by between 50-100% in the last 3 years, electricity 30% last month, rent going through the roof,open your eyes.
Over the twelve months to the June 2023 quarter, the CPI rose 6.0%

20% over 3 years is under 6.5% per year Over the twelve months to the June 2023 quarter, the CPI rose 6.0%

I worked for Centrelink for 20 years and it isn't as bad as made out. I worked on the front counter and did compliance house visits - even got up to office manager. Pay, job security, career development, conditions are all pretty good compared to working in the real world.

The CPSU is a 1980s dinosaur that bullies the 75% of staff not in the union with ridiculous demands - this 20% payrise claim is beyond silly.
Sounds like massive change since you worked there.

I have only ever had dealings with 2 staff at my local Centrelink office who were reasonably pleasant, the rest have been rude, arrogant, uncaring scum. If they deserve a pay rise it should be no more than most other workers get, certainly not 20%. I realise sometimes they deal with angry clients but probably the anger is caused by desperation from banging their heads against a brick wall trying to get any kind of benefits to help them survive when they have no money. It shouldn’t be so hard for anyone to get financial help or to get a pension, disability pension, sickness benefits etc. When my sister was dying from cancer and my brother in law gave up work to care for her and spend time with her before she passed away Centrelink flat refused to even give them a carers payment let alone any other sort of financial help. They had to survive almost 6 months with no money at all coming into their house, and supporting their 5 children. My brother in law was left with a lot of unnecessary debt as a result. The recent changes made to the mygov website make it very hard to use, if you can even access it. It used to be easy. I can no longer access it on my iPad, I need to use my laptop, which takes me twice as long as the iPad did. I don’t have the app and neither do a lot of older people.

I have only ever had dealings with 2 staff at my local Centrelink office who were reasonably pleasant, the rest have been rude, arrogant, uncaring scum. If they deserve a pay rise it should be no more than most other workers get, certainly not 20%. I realise sometimes they deal with angry clients but probably the anger is caused by desperation from banging their heads against a brick wall trying to get any kind of benefits to help them survive when they have no money. It shouldn’t be so hard for anyone to get financial help or to get a pension, disability pension, sickness benefits etc. When my sister was dying from cancer and my brother in law gave up work to care for her and spend time with her before she passed away Centrelink flat refused to even give them a carers payment let alone any other sort of financial help. They had to survive almost 6 months with no money at all coming into their house, and supporting their 5 children. My brother in law was left with a lot of unnecessary debt as a result. The recent changes made to the mygov website make it very hard to use, if you can even access it. It used to be easy. I can no longer access it on my iPad, I need to use my laptop, which takes me twice as long as the iPad did. I don’t have the app and neither do a lot of older people.
Very sad! Unfortunately the staff don’t make the rules but they do have the unfortunate job of having to enforce the rules given to them in legislation which they have no input into or choice in.

Reactions: Milica
I didn’t realize there was a line and if Centrelink got one then nurses and paramedics couldn’t!?
I'm saying , the staff at centrelink say they want a pay rise and they say about the abuse they receive from the public.

When I last went into a centrelink office , I noticed that there wasn't much in staff , whenever I call I also notice they are still working from home.

Nurses and paramedics also want a pay rise, they cop much more abuse than staff at centrelink including physical abuse. On top of this they also experience traumatic trauma

• Love
Reactions: Milica
$900000 for the head of centrelink , who just resigned because of robodebt. Pensioners still get ripped off with their work bonuses.Whenever you have to ring or even go there, to answer them a requested question, takes 45 minutes.Social media post get no answers.
I say the local post office does a better job. Dissolve this whole department.

• Sad
Reactions: Pink lion
Yeah but 20percent really😮
Nah that's a stretch I agree, it's not like they are hardworking struggling to make ends meet politicians. BTW surely politicians are all due another MASSIVE pay rise.
After all the country is rolling in it, due to the mining boom stats, posted regularly.

I figure a job based upon whether it is a job any would enjoy, or none would enjoy, and considering the trudge it's not a job that many would enjoy at all. I for one am glad that they do it, or our country would collapse.

Politicians on the other hand could all stop right now today, and it would be a good six months before anyone noticed. Other countries have proved this to be true.

They do deserve a pay rise is my opinion on it, that's what an opinion is, we all have one, and this is how I answered it, after the question was asked. It is how I feel on the matter, and I have nothing further to add. Cheers,

$900000 for the head of centrelink , who just resigned because of robodebt. Pensioners still get ripped off with their work bonuses.Whenever you have to ring or even go there, to answer them a requested question, takes 45 minutes.Social media post get no answers.
I say the local post office does a better job. Dissolve this whole department.
This is wrong, if a person does a bad job, they should not be rewarded at all.