Union calls on Services Australia to change approach as negotiations continue

In a tumultuous year of changes, disruptions, and confusion, it’s no surprise to see people standing up for their rights and demanding better wages.

Given the vital role that Services Australia plays in propping up many Australians during more challenging times, it may come as a surprise that their staff are the ones in need of help this time.

At present, these workers are being offered a 10.5 per cent pay rise over three years in return for enhanced job security and workplace reforms.

Screenshot_3.png
A workers’ union is locked in intense negotiations with Services Australia over improved pay and other requests. Image Credit: Services Australia

However, the Commonwealth Public Sector Union (CPSU), which represents Services Australia staff, rejected this and is demanding a 20 per cent raise instead.

The union has also opposed changes proposed by Services Australia, which it claims 'would cut existing employee rights'. These changes reportedly affect rostering negotiations, agency performance obligations, and call monitoring.

CPSU National Secretary Melissa Donelly has put pressure on the government, pointing out that the reforms and claims proposed by Services Australia 'stand in stark contrast' with reforms and shares from other agencies.

‘CPSU members have been clear from the start—they want a pay rise that is on time, and they want to protect existing entitlements,’ she said.

‘Services Australia risk missing a valuable opportunity to rebuild and restore workplaces after years of attacks on pay and conditions.’

‘Attacking employees’ working conditions and rights is not only out of step with every other conversation happening across the APS, but it is out of step with the goals and commitments made by the Albanese Labor Government.

‘Our members in Services Australia have already been through so much and are calling on Services Australia to abandon this current approach.’

Donnelly also reiterated their stance, stressing that Services Australia is lagging behind its peers in progress.

'While the APSC (Australian Public Service Commission) and other agencies are generally taking a collaborative and positive approach to bargaining, Services Australia management seem to be stuck in the past with their agenda of cuts,’ she said.

‘No other agency has proposed cuts in this round of bargaining.'

Source: Facebook/CPSU - Community and Public Sector Union

On Tuesday, August 15, the staff of Services Australia took part in a one-hour work stoppage as a show of force.

This comes at the heels of weeks of action from CPSU, including protected industrial action through refusal to use codes that would enable higher-ups to track workers’ tasks.

Such an action would need approval from the Fair Work Commission and will be subject to a staff vote. The CPSU has satisfied these prerequisites.

Key Takeaways

• The Commonwealth Public Sector Union (CPSU) is labelling Services Australia as 'out of step' with its progress on proposed workplace reforms.
  • The CPSU is seeking a wage increase of 20 per cent over three years, which is almost double the offer from the federal government, and opposing proposed changes to workplace conditions.
  • The CPSU has satisfied the requirements for protected industrial action, with its members voting to support such action.

Meanwhile, Services Australia spokesperson Hank Jongen said Services Australia was prepared for worker stoppages as negotiations continue.

‘The recent auxiliary code ban had no impact on our services or customer payments, and we don’t expect this will either,’ he said.

‘We are committed to the bargaining process being as simple as possible for everyone and are taking a collaborative, problem-solving approach to the matters raised through bargaining.’

‘Services Australia is regularly engaging with the APSC as bargaining progresses.’

We understand that it's vital to protect the rights of all workers—especially those in the public sector—as they are essential to the continuing functioning of our society.

We hope all parties involved can settle amicably.

So, members: what are your thoughts on this? If you’ve had experience working for the government, what can you say about the union’s requests? Tell us below!

Sponsored
In a tumultuous year of changes, disruptions, and confusion, it’s no surprise to see people standing up for their rights and demanding better wages.

Given the vital role that Services Australia plays in propping up many Australians during more challenging times, it may come as a surprise that their staff are the ones in need of help this time.

At present, these workers are being offered a 10.5 per cent pay rise over three years in return for enhanced job security and workplace reforms.

View attachment 27484
A workers’ union is locked in intense negotiations with Services Australia over improved pay and other requests. Image Credit: Services Australia

However, the Commonwealth Public Sector Union (CPSU), which represents Services Australia staff, rejected this and is demanding a 20 per cent raise instead.

The union has also opposed changes proposed by Services Australia, which it claims 'would cut existing employee rights'. These changes reportedly affect rostering negotiations, agency performance obligations, and call monitoring.

CPSU National Secretary Melissa Donelly has put pressure on the government, pointing out that the reforms and claims proposed by Services Australia 'stand in stark contrast' with reforms and shares from other agencies.

‘CPSU members have been clear from the start—they want a pay rise that is on time, and they want to protect existing entitlements,’ she said.

‘Services Australia risk missing a valuable opportunity to rebuild and restore workplaces after years of attacks on pay and conditions.’

‘Attacking employees’ working conditions and rights is not only out of step with every other conversation happening across the APS, but it is out of step with the goals and commitments made by the Albanese Labor Government.

‘Our members in Services Australia have already been through so much and are calling on Services Australia to abandon this current approach.’

Donnelly also reiterated their stance, stressing that Services Australia is lagging behind its peers in progress.

'While the APSC (Australian Public Service Commission) and other agencies are generally taking a collaborative and positive approach to bargaining, Services Australia management seem to be stuck in the past with their agenda of cuts,’ she said.

On Tuesday, August 15, the staff of Services Australia took part in a one-hour work stoppage as a show of force.

This comes at the heels of weeks of action from CPSU, including protected industrial action through refusal to use codes that would enable higher-ups to track workers’ tasks.

Such an action would need approval from the Fair Work Commission and will be subject to a staff vote. The CPSU has satisfied these prerequisites.

Key Takeaways

• The Commonwealth Public Sector Union (CPSU) is labelling Services Australia as 'out of step' with its progress on proposed workplace reforms.
  • The CPSU is seeking a wage increase of 20 per cent over three years, which is almost double the offer from the federal government, and opposing proposed changes to workplace conditions.
  • The CPSU has satisfied the requirements for protected industrial action, with its members voting to support such action.

Meanwhile, Services Australia spokesperson Hank Jongen said Services Australia was prepared for worker stoppages as negotiations continue.

‘The recent auxiliary code ban had no impact on our services or customer payments, and we don’t expect this will either,’ he said.

‘We are committed to the bargaining process being as simple as possible for everyone and are taking a collaborative, problem-solving approach to the matters raised through bargaining.’

‘Services Australia is regularly engaging with the APSC as bargaining progresses.’

We understand that it's vital to protect the rights of all workers—especially those in the public sector—as they are essential to the continuing functioning of our society.

So, members: what are your thoughts on this? If you’ve had experience working for the government, what can you say about the union’s requests? Tell us below!

Skilled workers do not include Centrelink employees who are basically unemployable.

View attachment 27484

Key Takeaways

Reactions: juno28
What can I say other than the whole sector needs an overhaul

They need to work a little harder before asking for a pay rise

I applied for DSP begging of February , I only had my first appointment last Friday over the phone. The lady I had the appointment with was working from home and had to apologise that her dog was barking at the delivery person.

After living through negligent surgery and a long story I suffer severe depression and anxiety and severe stomach pain.
When I applied for DSP it asked for reports from psychologists or psychiatrist but apparently it had to be a psychiatrist report, then April they changed it to Psychologists reports were now accepted but because I put in my application IN when a psychiatrist report was needed I may have to put in a whole new application even though all my reports are now what they are wanting and when I put in my application they said either psychologists or psychiatrist report.

Was it my fault they took 6 months to get to me .was it my fault they had stated either psychologist or psychiatrist report . They should have been more clearer.

I have come across some very helpful and amazing centrelink staff but I have also come across heartless staff that actually seem like they have no knowledge.

Last edited:

View attachment 27484

Key Takeaways

Over the years we have all met Centrelink staff and 85% of them I have met have been brilliant. I honestly do believe they deserve a pay rise, as I appreciate the misery and depression, that they have to deal with on a daily basis.

Society is a body, often, we interact with the heart and mind in society, however it's true that it is easy to meet an ass sitting behind desks, as much as anywhere else.

In my experience a total ass may be a doctor, a phone technician, a counter assistant anything and yes, you'll even meet them at Centrelink too, but seriously would you want that white walled, tick tock problem after problem coming to you by person, paper or read on screen?

Politicians get regular pay rises for doing basically nothing to advance our Nation.

Those in the trenches meeting it head on in often mundane thankless jobs do deserve much better pay. Theirs is a thankless job, not many would like to do, and yet so many people are assisted by them. Sure, there are a few very obnoxious people in Centrelink, over the years I too have noticed them, but the majority aren't sitting behind the desks.

Over the years we have all met Centrelink staff and 85% of them I have met have been brilliant. I honestly do believe they deserve a pay rise, as I appreciate the misery and depression, that they have to deal with on a daily basis.

Society is a body, often, we interact with the heart and mind in society, however it's true that it is easy to meet an ass sitting behind desks, as much as anywhere else.

In my experience a total ass may be a doctor, a phone technician, a counter assistant anything and yes, you'll even meet them at Centrelink too, but seriously would you want that white walled, tick tock problem after problem coming to you by person, paper or read on screen?

Politicians get regular pay rises for doing basically nothing to advance our Nation.

Those in the trenches meeting it head on in often mundane thankless jobs do deserve much better pay. Theirs is a thankless job, not many would like to do, and yet so many people are assisted by them. Sure, there are a few very obnoxious people in Centrelink, over the years I too have noticed them, but the majority aren't sitting behind the desks.
Yeah but 20percent really😮

View attachment 27484

Key Takeaways

And they are putting off all their casuals in the phone centres can imagine the wait till they train another lot of full timers😡😡😡😡

Their rules and regulations are ridiculous e g.
When we purchased a new property we were requested to fill in a new Assets form
So OK that was fine, they wanted to know the size of the house. how many bedrooms, etc etc etc, what difference that makes to them I do not know. Surely all they need to know is what we paid for it, how much rent we would be getting, etc.which would seem the most relevant to me
Anyway, back to their form, does the property have a shed, what size, what was the outside cladding???
Then what was it lined inside with.
Well it wasn't lined, but that wasn't an option in their form, so the computer wouldn't let me type that in and wouldn't let me go any further
Tried ringing them, numerous times
Well we all know how that goes.
In the end I went back into the form, changed it and put it didn't have a shed and finished the form.
Probably get fined one day for lying to them, because it is obviously extremely important for them to know about the shed!!!!!

Yeah but 20percent really😮
We all have our experiences hey. I was told by Centrelink in Ballina (I'd not been there before) that if I didn't bring all of my paperwork into my appointment on time, that I would be cancelled.
But my car broke down (out of petrol) and so I hitched in to discover I was twenty minutes late. The counter staff dismissed me, waved me away and said your appointment was twenty minutes ago and refused to listen. I nodded turned to go away, they looked down and I walked in through the empty desks (it was lunchtime) till I found someone eating a sandwich and sat down at his desk.

He was initially surprised and confronted as he was on his break however I was more confronted, because nobody was listening to the fact that I'd left my vehicle on the side of the road to get there and missed my appointment.

Can you please help me mate I asked. So, while eating his sandwiches he did.

Not long after I had rent paid petrol in my vehicle and I had found a job, without his help I would have been screwed He didn't have to do that.

My percentage count in my experience is accurate hey. I do understand we all have different experiences it's all about how people respectfully interact, I found.

Also I was informed the staff are on an amazing Superannuation scheme.
Only staff that were employed prior to 2006 are on the old defined benefit superannuation scheme, where the super pension was linked to final salary. As their employer does not pay into the super scheme, super pensions are subject to tax.

Employees since 2006 are on exactly the same super scheme as other employees.

Reactions: Ezzy and siameezer
Only staff that were employed prior to 2006 are on the old defined benefit superannuation scheme, where the super pension was linked to final salary. As their employer does not pay into the super scheme, super pensions are subject to tax.

Employees since 2006 are on exactly the same super scheme as other employees.
Oh the employee that I was talking too must have been employed prior to 2006