Underweight and overcharged: Are you being ripped off in the supermarket?

We’ve previously written about the various ways supermarket meat may be ripping you off. From ‘moisture infused’ roasts to trays being included in the weight charged. But today, we’re looking at a concerning report of underweight meat being sold in supermarkets.

Member Lorraine M. kindly wrote in to share her experience.

She said, ‘Last week I purchased two legs of lamb from Coles supermarket because they were on special for $10/kg. I was about to cook them this afternoon, but they seemed a bit small. So I checked the weight to find one leg was 400g underweight and the other was 300g underweight.’

This is a huge weight discrepancy, meaning Lorraine was charged for something she didn’t receive. That’s a $7 overcharge, to be precise.

Lorraine continued, ‘I am wondering how many others were the same, seeing I was lucky enough to pick up two.’

photo (10) (1).jpg
The two underweight legs of lamb. Credit: Member Lorraine M.

‘I finally managed to speak to somebody at Coles, they don’t make it easy, and I have been offered a refund. But now I have the inconvenience of taking the packaging back to the store, somewhere I don’t usually frequent. The last BBQ chicken that I bought weighed only 750g compared to the usual 1kg (for the same $12).’

‘So I would suggest that we now can’t trust the supermarkets to truthfully weigh the meat.’

Members, we urge you to take Lorraine's experience onboard and consider weighing any meat in-store before purchasing. The best way to do this would be to utilise the fruit and veg scales to ensure the actual weight matches the price set on the product.

Of course, we shouldn’t have to resort to such measures.

Member @JayKay previously left an insightful comment regarding a potential overcharge at the butchers: ‘With a one-off, single purchase, the 9 cents may not seem very much to worry about. But if you are buying 6 items or more weekly or more often, it adds up. That's for one customer. Add up the number of customers for the shop per day, per week, per month, per year...that's a lot of 9 cents.’

We know every dollar counts, and it really does all add up.

Now, we would love to hear from you. Have you also experienced or suspected that this is the case? Please let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
We’ve previously written about the various ways supermarket meat may be ripping you off. From ‘moisture infused’ roasts to trays being included in the weight charged. But today, we’re looking at a concerning report of underweight meat being sold in supermarkets.

She said, ‘Last week I purchased two legs of lamb from Coles supermarket because they were on special for $10/kg. I was about to cook them this afternoon, but they seemed a bit small. So I checked the weight to find one leg was 400g underweight and the other was 300g underweight.’

This is a huge weight discrepancy, meaning Lorraine was charged for something she didn’t receive. That’s a $7 overcharge, to be precise.

Lorraine continued, ‘I am wondering how many others were the same, seeing I was lucky enough to pick up two.’

View attachment 25920

‘I finally managed to speak to somebody at Coles, they don’t make it easy, and I have been offered a refund. But now I have the inconvenience of taking the packaging back to the store, somewhere I don’t usually frequent. The last BBQ chicken that I bought weighed only 750g compared to the usual 1kg (for the same $12).’

‘So I would suggest that we now can’t trust the supermarkets to truthfully weigh the meat.’

Members, we urge you to take Lorraine's experience onboard and consider weighing any meat in-store before purchasing. The best way to do this would be to utilise the fruit and veg scales to ensure the actual weight matches the price set on the product.

Member @JayKay previously left an insightful comment regarding a potential overcharge at the butchers: ‘With a one-off, single purchase, the 9 cents may not seem very much to worry about. But if you are buying 6 items or more weekly or more often, it adds up. That's for one customer. Add up the number of customers for the shop per day, per week, per month, per year...that's a lot of 9 cents.’

Now, we would love to hear from you. Have you also experienced or suspected that this is the case? Please let us know in the comments below.
My comment on this: Bravo discovery and I will open my eyes and pick on any discrepancies as well, as I am usually a Coles client due to conveniente. Having said that, I would suspect that they weigh the jolly good meat / pork / chicken in a "frozen" state which is usually heavier? I am totally confused.

I read somewhere (I think on this page) a while ago that the supermarkets put a capital E on the label which means it is an estimated weight so there is no comeback if the meat is underweight. Am I right?

View attachment 25920

My comment on this: Bravo discovery and I will open my eyes and pick on any discrepancies as well, as I am usually a Coles client due to conveniente. Having said that, I would suspect that they weigh the jolly good meat / pork / chicken in a "frozen" state which is usually heavier? I am totally confused.
Hi yes coles is sure trying to rip us off
The week before shopping at Coles . The mince section said any three for 20 dollars and they had two pork and meat packs and I also took a regular pack all the same weight at the check out they charged me 7 dollars for each one when I pointed out the fact it’s any three they said no so I just returned it all to them
This weekend just gone by again they had mince on special saying and two for 10.00dollars again I was charged 7dollars each when I said but it’s any two for 10.00 the worker said no it’s the other lot
Looks like coles doesn’t know what any two means I tried to complain about this but wasn’t able to online

I only buy meat from my butcher where it is weighed in front of me and i get what i pay for. If i buy packaged meat from a supermarket it is labelled 500 grams E, which is estimated weight. After weighing mince when i arrived home some time ago, i found i paid for 500g and only had 420g. Beware we are being ripped off.

I read somewhere (I think on this page) a while ago that the supermarkets put a capital E on the label which means it is an estimated weight so there is no comeback if the meat is underweight. Am I right?
Great memory! We spoke about the 'e' label in this previous story.

'In most supermarkets, the labels on their pre-packed products usually feature an “e” symbol beside their content weight. This symbol is called the Average Quantity System (AQS) e-mark, meaning that the weight of the product inside the packaging is not always exact and accurate.'

You can read more about the Average Quantity System in Australia here.

This shouldn't impact your ability to ask for a refund or credit if your purchase is underweight.

Reactions: Tamaya
Having worked in a abbs and my husband is a government meat inspector- QA- pen pusher don’t know about Coles but others supermarkets they supple meat is weighed on scales and either by a person or machine. Scales are checked on start of day and through out day. Maybe coles has a learner or just to lazy to check but fill in their paper work saying they did their check ?…

Further to the episode of the underweight lamb, I peeled off the "special" label and discovered the original label had the correct weight. When I returned it to the store I asked the manager how did this happen. He suggested that the worker simply mixed up the "special"labels and put them on the wrong legs. Hardly what I would call "quality control". Print the new labels and slap them on anything? It doesn't encourage me to shop in the Roselands store again.

Reactions: Tamaya and Ashmenou
I only buy meat from my butcher where it is weighed in front of me and i get what i pay for. If i buy packaged meat from a supermarket it is labelled 500 grams E, which is estimated weight. After weighing mince when i arrived home some time ago, i found i paid for 500g and only had 420g. Beware we are being ripped off.
I'm with you and only buy from the butcher. I know that all the meat etc is from Western Australia and not over east. (obviously that is where I live). You should weigh the meat etc. on the scales you use to weigh the fruit and veg before you buy.

View attachment 25920

Nothing surprises me. Even 1gm underweight is something to be concerned about. Multiply that by the tonnes of meat they sell and you have thousands of dollars. Another reason I don't shop at Coles or Woollies.

I had the same happen to me with mince from Woolies. Such a rip off.

Having worked in a abbs and my husband is a government meat inspector- QA- pen pusher don’t know about Coles but others supermarkets they supple meat is weighed on scales and either by a person or machine. Scales are checked on start of day and through out day. Maybe coles has a learner or just to lazy to check but fill in their paper work saying they did their check ?…
I have had packs of mince from Woolies all underweight. This nonsense of allowing the letter "E" to be put on the label to say the weight is estimated is just a way of ripping us off. Scales are definitely not checked daily or this type of error & the iffy "E" would not happen.

I bought a pack of diced chicken leg meat last year from Woolworths. I found it was underweight. I contacted Woolworths and this was their reply.
"The soaker pad is excluded from being weighed and the advertised weight should be exclusively the meat as it is weighed on the product line. We use an AQS system (Average Quantity System) which is the average weight across a batch and allows a small variance of up to 0.030kg, which means the pack you've shared above should have been rejected." I sent them a photo of the underweight pack with an email.
Woolworths totally agreed it was underweight, I received a full refund and Woolworths fixed the problem.

I have veered away from supermarket meat because I don't like things being packaged. When they are weighed in front of you, you can see it happening.
For a long time, there was a butcher shop at the Woolworths where I frequent. Gone now, so my local butcher gets most of my business now. Not that we can afford to eat much meat now. So, when we do we prefer to know we are paying the right price.

Actually, it is a large lower-case printed letter e that is put there by the manufacturer (such as ice tea, etc) and was legislated by the EU, I believe.

I'm with you and only buy from the butcher. I know that all the meat etc is from Western Australia and not over east. (obviously that is where I live). You should weigh the meat etc. on the scales you use to weigh the fruit and veg before you buy.
I also buy from the butcher primarily for top quality purposes and to keep my red blood cells up (doing chemo🙄). The meat is also local from the Tablelands and the butcher family business brings it to their shop just outside Coles in Cairns where I live. A staff from coles I chatted with (he was sorting out the shelves) told me the meat at coles often comes frozen from Melbourne! Oh dear, why ?!? 😳