Uncover these brilliant discount tricks for your next online shopping!

Getting your hands on the items you want without spending the full price can feel liberating, especially with everything being more expensive these days.

But someone has been keen enough to uncover some tricks and tips for helping you secure great online deals.

Hannah Paine, one of the editors of news.com.au, discovered several tricks to score discounts when online shopping, even without official retail sales.

‘Things are expensive enough as it is,’ she said.

john-schnobrich-2FPjlAyMQTA-unsplash.jpg
Hannah shared some ways you can score the best deals when shopping online. Credit: Unsplash

‘Plus, who wants to pay full price when there are savvy ways you can pick up that pair of headphones you’ve been eyeing off at a discounted price?’

‘[These tips and tricks] have all been tried and (successfully) tested by news.com.au checkout’s team of expert shopping writers, who also happen to love nothing more than a bargain,’ she explained as she hopped in to share the tips and tricks.

You can abandon your cart upon checkout

For Hannah, the ‘abandon cart' technique is an effective method to help you achieve those discounted prices.

All you need to do is exit your browser at the payment stage when looking for a bargain.

Hannah said, ‘Because the retailer has your email, they’ll send you a message letting you know you haven’t completed your purchase.’

‘Then they will send another follow-up email after that and then another, which will usually include a discount of 10, 20 per cent or sometimes even more.’

She shared her experience with this method as well.

‘Last time I did this while buying off a popular lingerie brand, they offered me a 25 per cent off code three days later. Score!’

Make use of coupons

According to Hannah, you can search for coupons online before checking out.

‘Before you complete a purchase, it’s always worth doing a quick Google search of “(retailer name) coupon” or “(retailer name) discount” and see what comes up,’ she said.

‘If you’re serious about your discounts, there are also extensions you can install on your internet browser that trawl the internet for coupon codes, so you never have to pay full price.’

Join loyalty programmes

The chance of stumbling across a great deal online is one of the many reasons why signing up for a retailer’s mailing list can be very beneficial.

‘I used to be one of those people who never signed up to shop emails because I didn’t want my inbox to get spammed,’ Hannah said.

‘But not signing up to your favourite brand’s mailing list means you’re seriously missing out.’

Hannah said that joining the email list will get you a welcome discount, plus you may be lucky enough to get bonuses such as early access to sales and discounts.

‘When you sign up, most stores offer you a 10 per cent welcome discount, plus you often also get early access to sales and discounts for being a loyal customer (or sometimes not, with some retailers sending you a discount code if you haven’t shopped in a while).’

‘It’s also how you can get discounts on your birthday,’ she added.

Get rewards for writing reviews

Hannah explained that by writing a review for an item you have previously purchased, you may be eligible to receive a discounted rate.

‘After you make a purchase, keep an eye on your inbox for offers; it’s common to receive $25 off or a 20 per cent discount in return for your opinion—even if you didn’t give it a glowing review,’ she said.

Check social media personalities for discounts

Social media personalities are another excellent source of potential discounts.

‘[Social media personalities] get a bad [reputation], but they’re another great way to find an easy discount online,’ Hannah said.

‘Because brands these days like to track that the influencer’s paid promo is actually reaching customers, they often include a discount code featuring their name, like “Hannah20”,’ she added.

Hannah explained that the best part of this is that you don’t need to follow them just to get the discount coupon!

She shared: ‘You can simply go to the tagged photo section of the brand and check the latest paid partnership post with a discount code.’

If you want to try these tips from Hannah, you can check out news.com.au’s new service named checkout. Its content covers the team’s first-hand reviews of products, with research on how each product works, consumer reviews, and expert information and advice.
News.com.au checkout also has its ‘Coupons’ page, where you can hunt for discount coupons from your favourite online brands and retailers, and a checkout newsletter to update you with product releases, reviews, or gift guides.

Now, aside from deals, you can also save a lot when buying groceries from supermarkets. Supermarkets have a little-known policy where you can cut costs at the checkout. Read more about it here.

Key Takeaways

• Hanna Paine shares clever ways to receive discounts online, including 'abandoning cart', using coupons, joining loyalty programs and product reviewing.
  • Suggestions include adding products to the cart and closing the browser at the payment stage, with retailers potentially offering discounts through subsequent follow-up emails.
  • Joining loyalty programmes can result in welcome discounts and exclusive access to sales, whilst leaving reviews may be rewarded with further discounts.
  • Extensions can also be installed on internet browsers that trawl the internet for coupon codes, so customers never have to pay full price.
Members, have you tried these online shopping discount tricks? Do you have other ways of saving more when online shopping? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Getting your hands on the items you want without spending the full price can feel liberating, especially with everything being more expensive these days.

But someone has been keen enough to uncover some tricks and tips for helping you secure great online deals.

Hannah Paine, one of the editors of news.com.au, discovered several tricks to score discounts when online shopping, even without official retail sales.

View attachment 35324
Hannah shared some ways you can score the best deals when shopping online. Credit: Unsplash

‘Plus, who wants to pay full price when there are savvy ways you can pick up that pair of headphones you’ve been eyeing off at a discounted price?’

‘[These tips and tricks] have all been tried and (successfully) tested by news.com.au checkout’s team of expert shopping writers, who also happen to love nothing more than a bargain,’ she explained as she hopped in to share the tips and tricks.

For Hannah, the ‘abandon cart' technique is an effective method to help you achieve those discounted prices.

All you need to do is exit your browser at the payment stage when looking for a bargain.

Hannah said, ‘Because the retailer has your email, they’ll send you a message letting you know you haven’t completed your purchase.’

‘Then they will send another follow-up email after that and then another, which will usually include a discount of 10, 20 per cent or sometimes even more.’

‘Last time I did this while buying off a popular lingerie brand, they offered me a 25 per cent off code three days later. Score!’

Make use of coupons

‘Before you complete a purchase, it’s always worth doing a quick Google search of “(retailer name) coupon” or “(retailer name) discount” and see what comes up,’ she said.

‘If you’re serious about your discounts, there are also extensions you can install on your internet browser that trawl the internet for coupon codes, so you never have to pay full price.’

Join loyalty programmes

The chance of stumbling across a great deal online is one of the many reasons why signing up for a retailer’s mailing list can be very beneficial.

‘I used to be one of those people who never signed up to shop emails because I didn’t want my inbox to get spammed,’ Hannah said.

‘But not signing up to your favourite brand’s mailing list means you’re seriously missing out.’

Hannah said that joining the email list will get you a welcome discount, plus you may be lucky enough to get bonuses such as early access to sales and discounts.

‘When you sign up, most stores offer you a 10 per cent welcome discount, plus you often also get early access to sales and discounts for being a loyal customer (or sometimes not, with some retailers sending you a discount code if you haven’t shopped in a while).’

Hannah explained that by writing a review for an item you have previously purchased, you may be eligible to receive a discounted rate.

‘After you make a purchase, keep an eye on your inbox for offers; it’s common to receive $25 off or a 20 per cent discount in return for your opinion—even if you didn’t give it a glowing review,’ she said.

‘[Social media personalities] get a bad [reputation], but they’re another great way to find an easy discount online,’ Hannah said.

‘Because brands these days like to track that the influencer’s paid promo is actually reaching customers, they often include a discount code featuring their name, like “Hannah20”,’ she added.

Hannah explained that the best part of this is that you don’t need to follow them just to get the discount coupon!

She shared: ‘You can simply go to the tagged photo section of the brand and check the latest paid partnership post with a discount code.’

If you want to try these tips from Hannah, you can check out news.com.au’s new service named checkout. Its content covers the team’s first-hand reviews of products, with research on how each product works, consumer reviews, and expert information and advice.
News.com.au checkout also has its ‘Coupons’ page, where you can hunt for discount coupons from your favourite online brands and retailers, and a checkout newsletter to update you with product releases, reviews, or gift guides.

Now, aside from deals, you can also save a lot when buying groceries from supermarkets. Supermarkets have a little-known policy where you can cut costs at the checkout. Read more about it here.

Key Takeaways

• Hanna Paine shares clever ways to receive discounts online, including 'abandoning cart', using coupons, joining loyalty programs and product reviewing.
  • Suggestions include adding products to the cart and closing the browser at the payment stage, with retailers potentially offering discounts through subsequent follow-up emails.
  • Joining loyalty programmes can result in welcome discounts and exclusive access to sales, whilst leaving reviews may be rewarded with further discounts.
  • Extensions can also be installed on internet browsers that trawl the internet for coupon codes, so customers never have to pay full price.
Members, have you tried these online shopping discount tricks? Do you have other ways of saving more when online shopping? Let us know in the comments below!
anytime i have left items i get a email advising and then it is deleted. Never had this happen.

View attachment 35324

Make use of coupons

Join loyalty programmes

Key Takeaways

Unfortunately this has never been my experience.

Reactions: PattiB
anytime i have left items i get a email advising and then it is deleted. Never had this happen.
That's strange, I always leave things in my cart and have always been offered a discount. The only time when this doesn't happen and it is deleted is if it is already on "flash sale".
I haven't done this on the Temu site though as their prices are already lower than other sites for the same item and they offer free shipping, which is a great saving. They also send special discount offers after you have made a purchase.
Strange most people don't seem to be having this happen for them.
There's nothing dishonest about it, they don't have to offer you a discount.
I never, and I mean never, pay full asking price for anything. Most companies will give a discount, but not if you don't ask, when shopping retail.
Good.Guys gave me another 10% on 6 items I bought for my new home and each of them was already on sale. You just have to be cheeky enough to ask, lol.
Most sites offer rewards for reviews, usually coupons that you can cash in on future purchases.
I don't understand why people don't already know these things

Reactions: Colette 3799
My biggest complaint is the price variation from week to week, e.g. Jordan's Granola, $4.25 one week, $8.50 the second, $12.00 the next, then repeat the cycle. Woolies and Coles have identical pricing and I fail to understand how they could possibly justify such a wide range of pricing.

View attachment 35324

Make use of coupons

Join loyalty programmes

Key Takeaways

Hardly rocket science.
You either pay full price or find a way of getting something cheaper.

Reactions: mylittletibbies