Unbelievable Odds! Woman Finds Carton of Double-Yolk Eggs - What Are the Chances?

What would you do if you opened a carton of eggs and found not one, not two, but a whole carton of double-yolk eggs?

The odds of that happening are actually incredibly low — one in 1,000 eggs is said to have a double yolk.

So, imagine the surprise and delight of one Coles shopper in Brisbane when she opened her carton of 700g Free Range eggs and discovered this incredible rarity.

Brisbane resident Joanna Schulz said she felt excitement wash over her when she discovered her most recent Coles haul contained three double-yolk eggs.

‘It felt like Christmas,’ she said.

'That feeling of anticipation before cutting open each egg and then the astonishment of what we were seeing in front of us. Each and every one had two yolks.’

photo-18.jpg
According to the Brisbane mum, every egg in the carton she purchased from Coles had a double yolk. Credit: Facebook/Pexels/Ricardo Ortiz.

The happy mum also confessed feeling compelled to ride her seemingly lucky wave —with some cheeky logic; she reasoned that she might as well buy a lotto ticket just in case her purchase contained double-yolkers again.

'Who knows? I might just win division one and two,' laughed the mum.

In some cultures, double-yolk eggs are considered to bring good fortune and prosperity.

How does a double-yolk happen?

Two eggs combine into one egg with two yolks. An egg with two yolks inside is known as a 'double yolker'.

The probability of finding a double-yolk egg is said to be one in 1,000, but under the right circumstances, experts believe the chances of discovering more than one double-yolk egg in the same batch are actually quite high.

Dr Karl Kruszelnicki, a statistics expert, explained on ABC Radio National that there are other factors that increase the chances of finding more than one double-yolk egg in a single carton.

He said that double-yolk eggs are usually larger than single-yolk eggs and that eggs are typically sold in sizes like large and extra large.

Therefore, if you find a double-yolk egg in a carton of extra-large eggs, the likelihood of finding another one is higher than usual.

Dr Karl also mentioned that eggs in the same carton are usually from the same flock of chickens and the same age. This means that if you have already found one double-yolk egg, the probability of finding another one increases.

Such has also been the case for a NSW mum who found multiple double-yolk eggs in the same carton of eggs she purchased at Coles.

Key Takeaways

• A Coles customer found all the eggs in her carton contained double yolks.
  • The discovery prompted her to buy a lottery ticket, as double-yolk eggs symbolise good luck and prosperity.
  • Double-yolk eggs are produced when a hen's ovary becomes overly productive and are more common in younger hens.
  • The chances of discovering more than one double-yolk egg in the same batch are surprisingly high under the right circumstances, such as larger-sized eggs sourced from the same flock of chickens.

So, there you have it, folks! What are your thoughts on double-yolk eggs? Have you ever come across one before?

Sponsored
What would you do if you opened a carton of eggs and found not one, not two, but a whole carton of double-yolk eggs?

The odds of that happening are actually incredibly low — one in 1,000 eggs is said to have a double yolk.

So, imagine the surprise and delight of one Coles shopper in Brisbane when she opened her carton of 700g Free Range eggs and discovered this incredible rarity.

Brisbane resident Joanna Schulz said she felt excitement wash over her when she discovered her most recent Coles haul contained three double-yolk eggs.

'That feeling of anticipation before cutting open each egg and then the astonishment of what we were seeing in front of us. Each and every one had two yolks.’

View attachment 16823
According to the Brisbane mum, every egg in the carton she purchased from Coles had a double yolk. Credit: Facebook/Pexels/Ricardo Ortiz.

The happy mum also confessed feeling compelled to ride her seemingly lucky wave —with some cheeky logic; she reasoned that she might as well buy a lotto ticket just in case her purchase contained double-yolkers again.

In some cultures, double-yolk eggs are considered to bring good fortune and prosperity.

Two eggs combine into one egg with two yolks. An egg with two yolks inside is known as a 'double yolker'.

The probability of finding a double-yolk egg is said to be one in 1,000, but under the right circumstances, experts believe the chances of discovering more than one double-yolk egg in the same batch are actually quite high.

Dr Karl Kruszelnicki, a statistics expert, explained on ABC Radio National that there are other factors that increase the chances of finding more than one double-yolk egg in a single carton.

He said that double-yolk eggs are usually larger than single-yolk eggs and that eggs are typically sold in sizes like large and extra large.

Therefore, if you find a double-yolk egg in a carton of extra-large eggs, the likelihood of finding another one is higher than usual.

Dr Karl also mentioned that eggs in the same carton are usually from the same flock of chickens and the same age. This means that if you have already found one double-yolk egg, the probability of finding another one increases.

Such has also been the case for a NSW mum who found multiple double-yolk eggs in the same carton of eggs she purchased at Coles.

Key Takeaways

• The discovery prompted her to buy a lottery ticket, as double-yolk eggs symbolise good luck and prosperity.
  • Double-yolk eggs are produced when a hen's ovary becomes overly productive and are more common in younger hens.
  • The chances of discovering more than one double-yolk egg in the same batch are surprisingly high under the right circumstances, such as larger-sized eggs sourced from the same flock of chickens.

So, there you have it, folks! What are your thoughts on double-yolk eggs? Have you ever come across one before?
Two for one nice curried egg's 🥚 yes 😋

View attachment 16823

Key Takeaways

Hello all sdc members. My wife and I live near Forster NSW, our patch of paradise. We buy our eggs from a butcher (and meat)in the main street of Forster . I can say eight times out of ten all eggs are double yokers. At least five times out of ten more than half are double yokers. I have never encountered this before and in my 70 years of breathing prior to moving to Forster I would see just a handful of double yokers. I don’t know how to attach a pic to this post if any one can enlighten me I will send one. I just tried and the pic was to big for the server.

It’s not that unusual to find double yolker. Where we lived before I bought extra large eggs from the farm and most were doubles. I read that it’s the young chickens that lay them. My grandkids loved guessing which eggs were doubles. A fun breakfast game lol

View attachment 16823

Key Takeaways

I obviously buy my eggs from the wrong places, I have never seen a double yoked egg in my 76 years.

Reactions: Jennylolo

View attachment 16823

Key Takeaways

I had the same thing happen this year so its no surprise to me, I dont buy eggs that are lower than the 800g size the rest are nothing but Pidgeon eggs

Mmm! That's a new and interesting method of getting your money's worth. I love eggs and double-yolk eggs are fantastic. They are usually from truly free-range eggs that are just not available from most supermarkets no matter what it says on the cartons.

I had the same thing happen this year so its no surprise to me, I dont buy eggs that are lower than the 800g size the rest are nothing but Pidgeon eggs
So can you tell me where you buy your 800g eggs from, used to be able to get them at the supermarkets, but since COVID they have just disappeared and the biggest I can get is 700g which your right are pathetic.

So can you tell me where you buy your 800g eggs from, used to be able to get them at the supermarkets, but since COVID they have just disappeared and the biggest I can get is 700g which your right are pathetic.
Woolies @ Victoria point 4165 if none their I go elsewhere. sometimes the butcher by Aldi has them