Unbelievable Discovery: You Won't Believe What This Coles Shopper Found Inside Her Supermarket Eggs!

For many of us, cracking open an egg is just part of the everyday routine, whether we're making a hearty breakfast or baking a cake. But for one Coles shopper, this mundane task turned into an extraordinary event that had her questioning whether she should be heading straight to the lottery booth.

The customer, who had picked up a carton of extra-large eggs from the supermarket, was left in awe when she discovered that each egg she cracked open contained not one, but two yolks. A double yolk in an egg is a rare find, often considered a sign of good luck, and this shopper had hit the jackpot with every single egg in the carton.

'Should I go buy a lottery ticket?' she mused on social media, sharing her amazement with the world. 'Cracked 4 eggs and got a double in every one and the box is normal. The only reason I cracked a fourth was to see if it would happen again and it did.'

compressed-Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 10.55.54 AM.jpeg
The Coles shopper was amazed at what they found inside their carton of supermarket eggs. Source: u/Masterlongshlong69 / Reddit

This isn't the first time a Coles customer has felt like they've struck gold. Brisbane woman Joanna Schulz experienced a similar thrill when she found that her entire carton of Coles 700g Free Range eggs contained a double yolk, describing the moment as feeling like 'Christmas.'

But what causes this egg-ceptional phenomenon? Dr. Vincent Candrawinata, a food scientist and nutrition researcher, has shed some light on the matter. He explains that double yolk eggs are the result of a hen's reproductive system going into overdrive, releasing two yolks instead of the usual one. It's akin to the occurrence of human twins. While it's technically possible for these eggs to develop into multiple chicks if fertilised, such an outcome is extremely rare and typically not viable.

Normally, a hen will produce one yolk per day, but in the case of double yolkers, two yolks are produced in quick succession. These yolks then merge during the egg-laying process, resulting in a single egg with two yolks. And if you think double yolks are rare, triple yolks are even more so, following the same principle but with three yolks involved. There have even been reports of the elusive quadruple-yolk egg!

So, what are the odds of stumbling upon a double-yolk egg? According to the beloved Aussie science communicator Dr. Karl Kruszelnicki, the chances are about one in 1000. However, if you find one double-yolk egg, the odds of finding another in the same batch are surprisingly high. This is because double-yolk eggs tend to be larger, and since eggs are sorted by size before being sold, a carton of large eggs is more likely to contain these lucky finds.

And for those who might be a bit squeamish about the appearance of a double yolk, Kelly Seagrave from Eggs Australia assures that 'double yolkers are definitely safe to eat.'

So, dear members of the Seniors Discount Club, have you ever cracked open an egg to find a double yolk? Or perhaps you've been even luckier and found a triple or quadruple yolk? Share your stories with us in the comments below – we'd love to hear about your egg-straordinary finds!

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles customer found a rare occurrence of multiple double-yolk eggs in a single carton purchased from the supermarket.
  • The customer wondered if they should buy a lottery ticket after the extraordinary discovery, noting that all eggs cracked from the batch displayed double yolks.
  • Food scientist Dr. Vincent Candrawinata explained that double yolk eggs are the result of irregularities in the egg formation process in hens' ovaries, similar to the occurrence of human twins.
  • According to Dr. Karl Kruszelnicki, finding a double-yolk egg is about a one in 1000 chance, but finding more than one in the same batch is more likely, especially in larger eggs. Double-yolk eggs are also safe to eat.

And remember, while finding a double yolk might feel like a sign to play the lottery, the real jackpot is in the simple pleasures of life – like the surprise of a double yolk in your morning scramble. Happy egg cracking!

Sponsored
when I was young (about 10 or 11) I would ride my bike to the egg factory to purchase some eggs not suitable for sale as mostly the shells had cracks or large eggs. Practically all of these eggs were double yolkers. A dozen eggs would cost 50c. We had to provide our own containers. This was a fond memory.

Before We moved I used to buy my eggs from the local chook farm and regularly got double yolks. I was told it is young hens that lay them, something to do with hormones. I still buy my eggs from a farm but it’s a small farm that has rescue hens. They must be a little older as I’ve not had any double yolkers from here

Reactions: PattiB
Never seen double yolk eggs as yet however I will keep buying my Eggs from Coles
Who knows I may get a pleasant surprise ONE DAY 🥚🥚