Unbelievable! Cleaners uncover disturbing trend in rental homes amid housing crisis

The cost of living crisis is a major issue that continues to plague much of Australia today.

As it rages on, a distressing trend has been uncovered by several cleaning services around the country.

A clip shared by Care Cleaning Services on social media has shocked many viewers as it showed a property that was trashed by the previous tenant, leaving the home stained with garbage, rotting food, drawings on walls, and more.

photo (8).jpg
One property was trashed by its previous tenants before leaving the rental. Image source: TikTok/@carecleaningservicessyd.

As revealed by Mitch from Aussie Industries Skips, a company that works closely with Care Cleaning Services and other real estate agencies, two skips were filled to the brim when they cleared out the house. This left a hefty bill of $4000 for the cleaning service, which is usually shouldered by the landlord.

For waste removal alone, he shared costs would usually range anywhere between $500 to $3000, depending on the skip size and the amount of waste—and this does not even include repair fees!

Despite the eye-watering sum, Mitch gave a startling admission.

'[It’s] not the worst we have seen,' he said.

Mitch revealed that he had been receiving more and more calls from landlords about recently vacant homes full of rubbish.

'Some [waste] is just furniture, others have rotting food waste, clothes and animal faeces,' he said.

'In any given week, we have 10-15 customers in a situation with excess waste from previous tenants.'

In 2023, the number has increased significantly ‘Particularly from July onwards… In line with interest rate hikes and the cost-of-living crisis,’ Mitch added.

Many shared their own experiences in the comments saying: 'I ran a bond cleaning business years ago, and someone left a rotten chicken in the oven.'

'I’ve cleaned student rentals before… This is way too common,' another added.

Other users also expressed their disbelief over the state of the rental.

'Unbelievable. How do they not want their stuff for the next place?' one user said.

'[I don’t know] why people leave that much stuff. Like they are just throwing away a lot of money—items and cleaning fees…' another said.

'I’m a renter, and I would absolutely never! Always give back in the same if not better condition,' a third said.

While a fourth asked: 'Am I the only one that grew up literally deep cleaning the house before leaving?'

You can watch the full video from Care Cleaning Services below:

Stacey, from Melbourne-based cleaning service Luxedo Services Pty Ltd, noticed the increase in similar cases too.

'We started our business 3-4 years ago, and we used to get one a month. Now, since mid-last year, we are getting one or more a week.'

'There are a lot of factors—whether people are fleeing due to mental health, domestic violence, or drug-related issues, a lot of it comes down to the cost of living,' Stacey claimed.

This also happened recently when 55-year-old handyman Kevin Martin wanted to sell up and retire as a landlord.

He had been planning to sell his investment property in Melbourne, giving his tenants 90 days to vacate and find a new rental.

However, when the tenants finally moved out, Kevin described the state of his house as 'covered in water', with the dishwasher jam-packed with dirty plates and a filthy smell.

You can read more about this story here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney-based cleaner has revealed a trend of tenants leaving rental properties trashed and filled with waste, particularly increasing as Australia's housing crisis worsens.
  • The waste left by some tenants can include rotting food, clothes, animal faeces, and broken furniture, requiring extreme cleaning efforts and waste removal, often at a cost to landlords.
  • Care Cleaning Service, who recently cleared a severely trashed property, charged over $4000 for the full clean, with waste removal alone (excluding full clean) potentially costing between $500 to $3000.
  • Other cleaning companies and commenters have observed that the issue has become increasingly common, with Stacey from Luxedo Services Pty Ltd stating they've seen increases from one a month more than 3 years ago to now one or more a week.
  • Common factors such as mental health, domestic violence, drug-related issues, and the cost of living crisis are reportedly causing the increase in this trend.
Dear members, have you seen a similar situation in your neighbourhood? What are your thoughts on this story? Let us know in the comments below!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Liag and Sockjoan
Sponsored
Those tenants should have any sort of benefits, or wages taken from them asap. Surely theres some sort of identity available, make them pay everything back. They dont deserve any housing. How about rows and rows of shipping containers available for these people. Its all they need.

The cost of living crisis is a major issue that continues to plague much of Australia today.

As it rages on, a distressing trend has been uncovered by several cleaning services around the country.

A clip shared by Care Cleaning Services on social media has shocked many viewers as it showed a property that was trashed by the previous tenant, leaving the home stained with garbage, rotting food, drawings on walls, and more.

View attachment 29948
One property was trashed by its previous tenants before leaving the rental. Image source: TikTok/@carecleaningservicessyd.

As revealed by Mitch from Aussie Industries Skips, a company that works closely with Care Cleaning Services and other real estate agencies, two skips were filled to the brim when they cleared out the house. This left a hefty bill of $4000 for the cleaning service, which is usually shouldered by the landlord.

For waste removal alone, he shared costs would usually range anywhere between $500 to $3000, depending on the skip size and the amount of waste—and this does not even include repair fees!

Mitch revealed that he had been receiving more and more calls from landlords about recently vacant homes full of rubbish.

'Some [waste] is just furniture, others have rotting food waste, clothes and animal faeces,' he said.

'In any given week, we have 10-15 customers in a situation with excess waste from previous tenants.'

In 2023, the number has increased significantly ‘Particularly from July onwards… In line with interest rate hikes and the cost-of-living crisis,’ Mitch added.

Many shared their own experiences in the comments saying: 'I ran a bond cleaning business years ago, and someone left a rotten chicken in the oven.'

'Unbelievable. How do they not want their stuff for the next place?' one user said.

'[I don’t know] why people leave that much stuff. Like they are just throwing away a lot of money—items and cleaning fees…' another said.

'I’m a renter, and I would absolutely never! Always give back in the same if not better condition,' a third said.

While a fourth asked: 'Am I the only one that grew up literally deep cleaning the house before leaving?'

Stacey, from Melbourne-based cleaning service Luxedo Services Pty Ltd, noticed the increase in similar cases too.

'We started our business 3-4 years ago, and we used to get one a month. Now, since mid-last year, we are getting one or more a week.'

'There are a lot of factors—whether people are fleeing due to mental health, domestic violence, or drug-related issues, a lot of it comes down to the cost of living,' Stacey claimed.

This also happened recently when 55-year-old handyman Kevin Martin wanted to sell up and retire as a landlord.

He had been planning to sell his investment property in Melbourne, giving his tenants 90 days to vacate and find a new rental.

However, when the tenants finally moved out, Kevin described the state of his house as 'covered in water', with the dishwasher jam-packed with dirty plates and a filthy smell.

Key Takeaways

• A Sydney-based cleaner has revealed a trend of tenants leaving rental properties trashed and filled with waste, particularly increasing as Australia's housing crisis worsens.
  • The waste left by some tenants can include rotting food, clothes, animal faeces, and broken furniture, requiring extreme cleaning efforts and waste removal, often at a cost to landlords.
  • Care Cleaning Service, who recently cleared a severely trashed property, charged over $4000 for the full clean, with waste removal alone (excluding full clean) potentially costing between $500 to $3000.
  • Other cleaning companies and commenters have observed that the issue has become increasingly common, with Stacey from Luxedo Services Pty Ltd stating they've seen increases from one a month more than 3 years ago to now one or more a week.
  • Common factors such as mental health, domestic violence, drug-related issues, and the cost of living crisis are reportedly causing the increase in this trend.
Dear members, have you seen a similar situation in your neighbourhood? What are your thoughts on this story? Let us know in the comments below!

This is not unusual, it's becoming more the expected by landlords.

View attachment 29948

Key Takeaways

I have never hired a cleaning company but my parents taught me to always leave something better than you received it . When renting , I always photographed a home when I moved in and , after cleaning it myself , before moving out , I photographed it again . I have always got compliments for the state of the home I left .
It is just the right thing to do . I do not know how people can live like that . How can they keep on renting , when you get a bad rep for leaving it like that , particularly if it is government housing ?

Reactions: Gsr and Jennie
How come these people were tenants in these rentals ? You suppose to have good reviews from previous rental properties , hope they did not get there bond back ! People are screaming for rental properties and then leave them filthy. The should be made to pay for the damage . How can you live in a disgusting place like that and just leave . You suppose to do the carpet cleaning and pest control before you leave.

Reactions: Gsr and Jennie
No wonder bonds are ever increasing, the low life’s leaving a mess for the landlords are making it more expensive for fellow renters to even get a rental with the bonds now being demanded. Hopefully the people leaving this mess are not moving into another rental, they should be made homeless, might make them appreciate how lucky they were to have a roof over their heads.

This is not unusual, it's becoming more the expected by landlords.
And tenants wonder why rents go up to match cost-of-living. Rents certainly don't cover the cost to lanlords of tenants trashing places. As you write, having the placed trashed by tenants as all too common. Never rent to students!