Unable to afford rent, pensioner reveals worrying last resort: living in a car

The cost of living continues to rise, and with it, the burden on those who are already struggling to make ends meet. The reality of the situation is crushing — for those on fixed incomes, every dollar counts.

It's a heartbreaking dilemma that many people face every day: pay the bills or buy basic necessities.

Even pensioners, who have worked hard all their lives and deserve to enjoy their retirement, are not being spared. They are barely managing to survive on their fortnightly income, and now, even that is not enough.

Take Sandi Butler, for example. She's a pensioner living on the Gold Coast, and her rent has just gone up by 20 per cent, from $400 to $510. That may not sound like a lot, but it means she's now spending her entire weekly pension on rent alone. She has no money left over for food, bills, or any other essentials.

And to make matters even worse, the government supplement she's receiving will only last for three months. After that, she'll be on her own. It's a terrifying thought for someone who's already struggling to get by.

Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 12.41.07 PM.png
As the cost of living continues to soar across the country, retirees are bearing the brunt of the burden. Credit: Unsplash/Jeremy Wong.

When Sandi spoke on a current affairs program about her situation, her distress was palpable. She never thought she'd be in this position, and it's taking a toll on her mental health. The stress is overwhelming, but she's doing her best to stay strong and keep going.

'At my time of life, it's something that I never thought that I would be doing,' she said.

The government's plan to slightly increase the pension by $37.50 (for singles) a fortnight was also met with fury and disappointment. To her, it's an insult and a 'slap in the face'.

The increase won't even make a dent in the soaring cost of her rent, let alone provide her with any financial relief. It's a devastating blow for someone who has worked hard all her life and deserves better in her retirement years.

In a previous article, we discussed what the recent slight increase in the pension can cover. If you're interested in learning more, you can find the article here.

Credit: 9 News Australia.

This sentiment is not unique, as thousands of pensioners across Australia share Ms Butler's plight. 'Too many people are just ending up on the streets,' she said.

The 81-year-old went on to say that it feels like her age group has become a burden for the government, and she's imploring them to start thinking about the Australian people instead of 'playing games' with their lives.

As each day passes, Sandi's situation becomes direr, and the possibility of having to live out of her car looms closer. It's a harrowing thought, one that no one should ever have to contemplate. But for Sandi, it's becoming a stark reality.

Sandi's situation is a stark reminder of the dire circumstances many pensioners in Australia are facing — they should be enjoying their golden years, not worrying about whether they'll be able to afford to pay their rent, or keep a roof over their heads.

Key Takeaways

• Renters across the country are feeling the sting of rising rent costs.
  • Sandi Butler's rent went up by more than 20% from $400 to $510 a week.
  • People on the age pension will receive an increase of $37.50 a fortnight (singles) from March 20.
  • Ms Butler is faced with the possibility of having to live out of her car if she is unable to afford the bills.

The story of Sandi Butler is unfortunately not an isolated incident, and we reported a similar story just last month. At only 53 years old, Cathy has already become a victim of this escalating crisis, a reality that no one should ever have to face.

The devastating reality of homelessness became Cathy's only option, and she was forced to make the difficult decision to leave her home (and her cat) behind. With nowhere else to turn, she began living in her car, a situation becoming worryingly more common. Read the full story here in this article.

The last census data shows that the fastest-growing group of homeless Australians is made up of women aged 55 and over. These women, who should be enjoying their golden years, are instead left to fend for themselves on the streets, struggling to find a place to call home.

The CEO of Older Women's Network (OWN), Yumi Lee, has shed light on the root causes of this devastating trend. She believes that the gender pay gap, along with society's undervaluation of women's hard work, has left women disproportionately impacted.

It is a tragic truth that women who have spent their lives working hard and contributing to society are now left with nothing to show for it.

Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 12.41.00 PM.png
Women aged 55 and over were reportedly the fastest-growing group of homeless Australians. Credit: Unsplash/Christian Langballe.

The plight of these women is made all the more heartbreaking because many of them have not had the chance to accumulate savings and superannuation, leaving them with no safety net to fall back on.

Retirement, a time that should be filled with joy and relaxation, has become a time of poverty and housing insecurity for many. It is a heartbreaking reminder of the ongoing inequality in our society, and the urgent need for change.

We stand with our community of seniors and pensioners, and we're committed to ensuring that they have the support they need to stay safe, healthy, and financially secure.

Members, we want to hear from you! What are your thoughts on this heartbreaking story? Have you or someone you know been impacted by the housing crisis or the struggles faced by seniors and pensioners?

We also have to ask, how much do you think the Age Pension should be?

We believe that by sharing our stories and experiences, we can come together to find solutions and make a difference. So please, let us know in the comments what you think and share your experience!

Sponsored
I know someone in a similar situation, he is 75 or something and the house he and his wife were living in has been sold so they now have to move into a temporary house then into another long term rental they have organised in a couple of months, and store all their belongings and move it around what I can't understand is why they don't have their own house at their age, I understand there are sometimes extenuating circumstances but you are right, sometimes I can't fathom it! Maybe some of a us are a bit more fortunate than we realise I am not sure. Also don't forget some of these people are a bit smarter than the average Joe and are just trying to play the system sometimes and get help when they either don't try themselves or are not in as bad a situation as they make out but are just looking for some cheap accommodation.
Im sorry,but you are being very judgemental in regards to them not "having their own house at their age". You don't know their circumstances etc etc so please don't judge them And yes,I know there are people out there who are ripping off the system big time,!!but let's not judge this couple unless we know their full story. 🤔

Reactions: Mr Chips
He is definitely making racist comments such as "ethnic people flooding aged care" surely that is racist. I spent 48 years in my profession but that does not allow me to make racist comments of that sort. I certainly would not make comments about being Australian!
Good on you Anoush. Well said.👍

I'm very confused, you say you worked in aged care 30 years ago but you gave it up in 2020? How does that work? Your criticism of ethnics is both racist and totally unnecessary. You should be ashamed of this post.
You dont need to be confused if you read it. I retired after 30 years of working in aged care in 2020.....can you not understand that sentence. I am speaking from experience. I am not racist far from it, I have friends from many nationalities. Maybe you need to enter ANY aged care facility and ask to be a volunteer, you will then realize that the majority of workers are ethnic. I made a statement pertaining to care in aged car....not a racist statement!

Reactions: Go Cats
I'm very confused, you say you worked in aged care 30 years ago but you gave it up in 2020? How does that work? Your criticism of ethnics is both racist and totally unnecessary. You should be ashamed of this post.
Yes, I worked in aged care 30 years ago, and indeed gave it up when I retired in 2020. You obviously have a deep-seated issue with anyone speaking the truth. Are you one of the radicals who scream racist whenever anyone makes a statement you dont like, I made a statement that was the truth. You are the one that should be ashamed!

Mr Chips,,,Linwar is NOT being racist,,how can telling the truth be racist ,,,,why are you confused,,it's pretty easy to understand,,,Linwar retired in 2020 after 30 years working in that field
That is exactly correct! Maybe Mr Chips needs some English lessons.

Yes, I worked in aged care 30 years ago, and indeed gave it up when I retired in 2020. You obviously have a deep-seated issue with anyone speaking the truth. Are you one of the radicals who scream racist whenever anyone makes a statement you dont like, I made a statement that was the truth. You are the one that should be ashamed!
I stand corrected about your very confusing work history but yes, I am definitely a radical who will scream racist when I see a statement that is not needed in a conversation.

I worked in aged care 30 years ago when they were mainly staffed by Australians with our values of cleanliness and order but gave it away in2020 when there were so many ethnic peole flooding aged care. They would constantly come to me saying..." They can't understand me...... so I had to go and do their job. Some English is shocking and some are lazy and unclean.A large majority spend their time going into residents bathrooms and checking their phones. The quality of care does not exist any where, from expensive so called 5star to old dingy nursing homes.
I know what you are saying & l may have mentioned this incident here before. When my 100 y.o. friend was in a large Nursing Corporation Home here in W.A. & l visited him he had wet his bed. The ethnic person who came in to change his bed while we talked threw the bedding back, straightened the bottom sheet then proceeded to replace the top sheet & blanket. I stopped him saying, "that sheet is wet". Throwing back the blanket & sheet he said, "which one?" but knew exactly where to place his hand to confirm this, before changing the sheets. An email was sent to their Head Office nearby but l received no reply. If this happened to my friend, how many other patients has this happened to?

A similar nationality person was responsible for dropping him on his bottom in the shower, moving him from the wheelchair to the shower chair, hurting him to the point he remained in constant pain. He was only about 40kgs @ the time. He also complained about the language barrier.

A neighbour's daughter whose mother is from a foreign country & works in a large Public Hospital, once told me that 'friends back home send Mum their 'papers for a job in a hospital. Mum fills them in & sends them back.' The question which now comes to mind is, 'do these people have the appropriate qualifications for the jobs applied for or are employed to do?

I can tell you a lot of the elderly just sit and look out the window, they lose the incentive to live. Staff who are not very good at English have no time for them, they do the least in the allotted time. Often family don't visit. I used to sing the songs of the war years that all these people know when giving residents showers and often they would sing along, ethnics do not know these songs or anything about Australia, so they have no input in the residents life. yet the Government is going to let 200,000 a year in, I dread to think of going into an aged care facility. I guarantee you I will not go, I will suicide before they send me to one. I will choose to end my life ,my way.
That is correct. When my 100 y.o. friend was in a Nursing Home he stayed in his room all day watching t.v. A daughter who lived about 15 minutes drive away never visited him, another daughter was in England & a son in Queensland. His only visitors were 3 or 4 people, including ourselves. I did all his running around for him & we took him to Arbitration when his children got together to have him deemed incapable of handling his monetary affairs anymore. I hope l never end up in a Nursing Home too.

Honestly, I give in. I am so tired of the racial slurs and intonations in this feed. I give up. Hope you racists (you know who you are) are happy.

The cost of living continues to rise, and with it, the burden on those who are already struggling to make ends meet. The reality of the situation is crushing — for those on fixed incomes, every dollar counts.

It's a heartbreaking dilemma that many people face every day: pay the bills or buy basic necessities.

Even pensioners, who have worked hard all their lives and deserve to enjoy their retirement, are not being spared. They are barely managing to survive on their fortnightly income, and now, even that is not enough.

Take Sandi Butler, for example. She's a pensioner living on the Gold Coast, and her rent has just gone up by 20 per cent, from $400 to $510. That may not sound like a lot, but it means she's now spending her entire weekly pension on rent alone. She has no money left over for food, bills, or any other essentials.

And to make matters even worse, the government supplement she's receiving will only last for three months. After that, she'll be on her own. It's a terrifying thought for someone who's already struggling to get by.

View attachment 15300
As the cost of living continues to soar across the country, retirees are bearing the brunt of the burden. Credit: Unsplash/Jeremy Wong.

When Sandi spoke on a current affairs program about her situation, her distress was palpable. She never thought she'd be in this position, and it's taking a toll on her mental health. The stress is overwhelming, but she's doing her best to stay strong and keep going.

'At my time of life, it's something that I never thought that I would be doing,' she said.

The government's plan to slightly increase the pension by $37.50 (for singles) a fortnight was also met with fury and disappointment. To her, it's an insult and a 'slap in the face'.

The increase won't even make a dent in the soaring cost of her rent, let alone provide her with any financial relief. It's a devastating blow for someone who has worked hard all her life and deserves better in her retirement years.

In a previous article, we discussed what the recent slight increase in the pension can cover. If you're interested in learning more, you can find the article here.

Credit: 9 News Australia.

This sentiment is not unique, as thousands of pensioners across Australia share Ms Butler's plight. 'Too many people are just ending up on the streets,' she said.

The 81-year-old went on to say that it feels like her age group has become a burden for the government, and she's imploring them to start thinking about the Australian people instead of 'playing games' with their lives.

As each day passes, Sandi's situation becomes direr, and the possibility of having to live out of her car looms closer. It's a harrowing thought, one that no one should ever have to contemplate. But for Sandi, it's becoming a stark reality.

Sandi's situation is a stark reminder of the dire circumstances many pensioners in Australia are facing — they should be enjoying their golden years, not worrying about whether they'll be able to afford to pay their rent, or keep a roof over their heads.

Key Takeaways

• Renters across the country are feeling the sting of rising rent costs.
  • Sandi Butler's rent went up by more than 20% from $400 to $510 a week.
  • People on the age pension will receive an increase of $37.50 a fortnight (singles) from March 20.
  • Ms Butler is faced with the possibility of having to live out of her car if she is unable to afford the bills.

The story of Sandi Butler is unfortunately not an isolated incident, and we reported a similar story just last month. At only 53 years old, Cathy has already become a victim of this escalating crisis, a reality that no one should ever have to face.

The devastating reality of homelessness became Cathy's only option, and she was forced to make the difficult decision to leave her home (and her cat) behind. With nowhere else to turn, she began living in her car, a situation becoming worryingly more common. Read the full story here in this article.

The last census data shows that the fastest-growing group of homeless Australians is made up of women aged 55 and over. These women, who should be enjoying their golden years, are instead left to fend for themselves on the streets, struggling to find a place to call home.

The CEO of Older Women's Network (OWN), Yumi Lee, has shed light on the root causes of this devastating trend. She believes that the gender pay gap, along with society's undervaluation of women's hard work, has left women disproportionately impacted.

It is a tragic truth that women who have spent their lives working hard and contributing to society are now left with nothing to show for it.

View attachment 15301
Women aged 55 and over were reportedly the fastest-growing group of homeless Australians. Credit: Unsplash/Christian Langballe.

The plight of these women is made all the more heartbreaking because many of them have not had the chance to accumulate savings and superannuation, leaving them with no safety net to fall back on.

Retirement, a time that should be filled with joy and relaxation, has become a time of poverty and housing insecurity for many. It is a heartbreaking reminder of the ongoing inequality in our society, and the urgent need for change.

We stand with our community of seniors and pensioners, and we're committed to ensuring that they have the support they need to stay safe, healthy, and financially secure.

Members, we want to hear from you! What are your thoughts on this heartbreaking story? Have you or someone you know been impacted by the housing crisis or the struggles faced by seniors and pensioners?

We also have to ask, how much do you think the Age Pension should be?

We believe that by sharing our stories and experiences, we can come together to find solutions and make a difference. So please, let us know in the comments what you think and share your experience!

Oh,that is soooo sad.😥 81 years old and having to go through the prospect of living in her car. That is just not on. As she said,she's worked all her life,paid taxes and is being treated like that. How is someone on the pension expected to pay $400 dollars in rent and living expenses groceries,petrol,car rego( if they are driving)utilities etc,etc. Not fair. And just not on. The government needs to step up to the plate here and do something to help pensioners that are struggling. If I had a spare room Sandi,I would offer it to you in a flash. Hope your going to be okay.😔

Reactions: Ezzy
I'm very confused, you say you worked in aged care 30 years ago but you gave it up in 2020? How does that work? Your criticism of ethnics is both racist and totally unnecessary. You should be ashamed of this post.Jo

Hi Mr Chips,
I think she meant she worked there for 30 years and just retired in 2020.🙂

Good on you Linwar,you are NOT being racist at all,you are just telling it like it is, and you should know,you worked there for 30 years and you would have seen a lot,the good,and the not so good etc etc.

Reactions: Linwar and Ezzy