Unable to afford rent, pensioner reveals worrying last resort: living in a car

The cost of living continues to rise, and with it, the burden on those who are already struggling to make ends meet. The reality of the situation is crushing — for those on fixed incomes, every dollar counts.

It's a heartbreaking dilemma that many people face every day: pay the bills or buy basic necessities.

Even pensioners, who have worked hard all their lives and deserve to enjoy their retirement, are not being spared. They are barely managing to survive on their fortnightly income, and now, even that is not enough.

Take Sandi Butler, for example. She's a pensioner living on the Gold Coast, and her rent has just gone up by 20 per cent, from $400 to $510. That may not sound like a lot, but it means she's now spending her entire weekly pension on rent alone. She has no money left over for food, bills, or any other essentials.

And to make matters even worse, the government supplement she's receiving will only last for three months. After that, she'll be on her own. It's a terrifying thought for someone who's already struggling to get by.

Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 12.41.07 PM.png
As the cost of living continues to soar across the country, retirees are bearing the brunt of the burden. Credit: Unsplash/Jeremy Wong.

When Sandi spoke on a current affairs program about her situation, her distress was palpable. She never thought she'd be in this position, and it's taking a toll on her mental health. The stress is overwhelming, but she's doing her best to stay strong and keep going.

'At my time of life, it's something that I never thought that I would be doing,' she said.

The government's plan to slightly increase the pension by $37.50 (for singles) a fortnight was also met with fury and disappointment. To her, it's an insult and a 'slap in the face'.

The increase won't even make a dent in the soaring cost of her rent, let alone provide her with any financial relief. It's a devastating blow for someone who has worked hard all her life and deserves better in her retirement years.

In a previous article, we discussed what the recent slight increase in the pension can cover. If you're interested in learning more, you can find the article here.

Credit: 9 News Australia.

This sentiment is not unique, as thousands of pensioners across Australia share Ms Butler's plight. 'Too many people are just ending up on the streets,' she said.

The 81-year-old went on to say that it feels like her age group has become a burden for the government, and she's imploring them to start thinking about the Australian people instead of 'playing games' with their lives.

As each day passes, Sandi's situation becomes direr, and the possibility of having to live out of her car looms closer. It's a harrowing thought, one that no one should ever have to contemplate. But for Sandi, it's becoming a stark reality.

Sandi's situation is a stark reminder of the dire circumstances many pensioners in Australia are facing — they should be enjoying their golden years, not worrying about whether they'll be able to afford to pay their rent, or keep a roof over their heads.

Key Takeaways

• Renters across the country are feeling the sting of rising rent costs.
  • Sandi Butler's rent went up by more than 20% from $400 to $510 a week.
  • People on the age pension will receive an increase of $37.50 a fortnight (singles) from March 20.
  • Ms Butler is faced with the possibility of having to live out of her car if she is unable to afford the bills.

The story of Sandi Butler is unfortunately not an isolated incident, and we reported a similar story just last month. At only 53 years old, Cathy has already become a victim of this escalating crisis, a reality that no one should ever have to face.

The devastating reality of homelessness became Cathy's only option, and she was forced to make the difficult decision to leave her home (and her cat) behind. With nowhere else to turn, she began living in her car, a situation becoming worryingly more common. Read the full story here in this article.

The last census data shows that the fastest-growing group of homeless Australians is made up of women aged 55 and over. These women, who should be enjoying their golden years, are instead left to fend for themselves on the streets, struggling to find a place to call home.

The CEO of Older Women's Network (OWN), Yumi Lee, has shed light on the root causes of this devastating trend. She believes that the gender pay gap, along with society's undervaluation of women's hard work, has left women disproportionately impacted.

It is a tragic truth that women who have spent their lives working hard and contributing to society are now left with nothing to show for it.

Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 12.41.00 PM.png
Women aged 55 and over were reportedly the fastest-growing group of homeless Australians. Credit: Unsplash/Christian Langballe.

The plight of these women is made all the more heartbreaking because many of them have not had the chance to accumulate savings and superannuation, leaving them with no safety net to fall back on.

Retirement, a time that should be filled with joy and relaxation, has become a time of poverty and housing insecurity for many. It is a heartbreaking reminder of the ongoing inequality in our society, and the urgent need for change.

We stand with our community of seniors and pensioners, and we're committed to ensuring that they have the support they need to stay safe, healthy, and financially secure.

Members, we want to hear from you! What are your thoughts on this heartbreaking story? Have you or someone you know been impacted by the housing crisis or the struggles faced by seniors and pensioners?

We also have to ask, how much do you think the Age Pension should be?

We believe that by sharing our stories and experiences, we can come together to find solutions and make a difference. So please, let us know in the comments what you think and share your experience!

Sponsored
I have seen at least two women coming into my medical centre, their cars packed full of their belongings. I presume they are homeless because why else would you have all that you had stuffed in a car. This is an outrageos situation in the "lucky" country. I feel for women who have to do this. I know the government can't solve all the problems quickly, but we need more affordable public housing and I am sorry, I am going to be shot done here, why give preference to ex-prisioners over older women in getting housing. The situation has really as I see it gone to the "dogs". I wish my place was bigger than one room and i would share with one of these women. I don't think the government cares about older people in general. They see us as a burden on the tax purse and I really feel they want us to drop off, so they don't have to pay aged pensions or other pensions to the elderly or get the nursing homes into a decent, fully staffed situation where it is safe to go when we get to this time. I dread when it comes to me going into a nursing home because I know as a government bed, I will probably be treated badly.😱

The cost of living continues to rise, and with it, the burden on those who are already struggling to make ends meet. The reality of the situation is crushing — for those on fixed incomes, every dollar counts.

It's a heartbreaking dilemma that many people face every day: pay the bills or buy basic necessities.

Even pensioners, who have worked hard all their lives and deserve to enjoy their retirement, are not being spared. They are barely managing to survive on their fortnightly income, and now, even that is not enough.

Take Sandi Butler, for example. She's a pensioner living on the Gold Coast, and her rent has just gone up by 20 per cent, from $400 to $510. That may not sound like a lot, but it means she's now spending her entire weekly pension on rent alone. She has no money left over for food, bills, or any other essentials.

And to make matters even worse, the government supplement she's receiving will only last for three months. After that, she'll be on her own. It's a terrifying thought for someone who's already struggling to get by.

View attachment 15300
As the cost of living continues to soar across the country, retirees are bearing the brunt of the burden. Credit: Unsplash/Jeremy Wong.

When Sandi spoke on a current affairs program about her situation, her distress was palpable. She never thought she'd be in this position, and it's taking a toll on her mental health. The stress is overwhelming, but she's doing her best to stay strong and keep going.

'At my time of life, it's something that I never thought that I would be doing,' she said.

The government's plan to slightly increase the pension by $37.50 (for singles) a fortnight was also met with fury and disappointment. To her, it's an insult and a 'slap in the face'.

The increase won't even make a dent in the soaring cost of her rent, let alone provide her with any financial relief. It's a devastating blow for someone who has worked hard all her life and deserves better in her retirement years.

In a previous article, we discussed what the recent slight increase in the pension can cover. If you're interested in learning more, you can find the article here.

This sentiment is not unique, as thousands of pensioners across Australia share Ms Butler's plight. 'Too many people are just ending up on the streets,' she said.

The 81-year-old went on to say that it feels like her age group has become a burden for the government, and she's imploring them to start thinking about the Australian people instead of 'playing games' with their lives.

As each day passes, Sandi's situation becomes direr, and the possibility of having to live out of her car looms closer. It's a harrowing thought, one that no one should ever have to contemplate. But for Sandi, it's becoming a stark reality.

Sandi's situation is a stark reminder of the dire circumstances many pensioners in Australia are facing — they should be enjoying their golden years, not worrying about whether they'll be able to afford to pay their rent, or keep a roof over their heads.

Key Takeaways

• People on the age pension will receive an increase of $37.50 a fortnight (singles) from March 20.
  • Ms Butler is faced with the possibility of having to live out of her car if she is unable to afford the bills.

The story of Sandi Butler is unfortunately not an isolated incident, and we reported a similar story just last month. At only 53 years old, Cathy has already become a victim of this escalating crisis, a reality that no one should ever have to face.

The devastating reality of homelessness became Cathy's only option, and she was forced to make the difficult decision to leave her home (and her cat) behind. With nowhere else to turn, she began living in her car, a situation becoming worryingly more common. Read the full story here in this article.

The last census data shows that the fastest-growing group of homeless Australians is made up of women aged 55 and over. These women, who should be enjoying their golden years, are instead left to fend for themselves on the streets, struggling to find a place to call home.

The CEO of Older Women's Network (OWN), Yumi Lee, has shed light on the root causes of this devastating trend. She believes that the gender pay gap, along with society's undervaluation of women's hard work, has left women disproportionately impacted.

It is a tragic truth that women who have spent their lives working hard and contributing to society are now left with nothing to show for it.

View attachment 15301
Women aged 55 and over were reportedly the fastest-growing group of homeless Australians. Credit: Unsplash/Christian Langballe.

The plight of these women is made all the more heartbreaking because many of them have not had the chance to accumulate savings and superannuation, leaving them with no safety net to fall back on.

Retirement, a time that should be filled with joy and relaxation, has become a time of poverty and housing insecurity for many. It is a heartbreaking reminder of the ongoing inequality in our society, and the urgent need for change.

We stand with our community of seniors and pensioners, and we're committed to ensuring that they have the support they need to stay safe, healthy, and financially secure.

Members, we want to hear from you! What are your thoughts on this heartbreaking story? Have you or someone you know been impacted by the housing crisis or the struggles faced by seniors and pensioners?

We believe that by sharing our stories and experiences, we can come together to find solutions and make a difference. So please, let us know in the comments what you think and share your experience!

and you look at all the people abusing the system and getting cheap public housing when they are working and have 5 or six or more family members living in the same house and between them getting 2 or 3 thousand dollars a week from the dole as well as their pay, the Government seems to deem this ok!.

I don't mean to be cruel but this is the very reason my husband and I purchased out house.
It was dam hard saving for a deposit and going without luxury items but we were doing this for our future.

While all of our friends and family went on overseas trips we took 1 week holidays up or down the coast

While all our friends purchased expensive luxurious cars we stuck with our old faithful

While our friends n family went out to expensive restaurants we chose picnics.

We thought twice what we bought but eventually we saved enough for a deposit for our house all while paying rent as well . We then worked hard and stuck to our budget and had our house paid off in 20 years. This was so hard but we did it .

And now most of our friends abd family are either still paying off a mortgage or paying rent because they lived for the moment and not the future.

We have many precious happy memories but all done on a budget.

I don't mean to be cruel but this is the very reason my husband and I purchased out house.
It was dam hard saving for a deposit and going without luxury items but we were doing this for our future.

While all of our friends and family went on overseas trips we took 1 week holidays up or down the coast

While all our friends purchased expensive luxurious cars we stuck with our old faithful

While our friends n family went out to expensive restaurants we chose picnics.

We thought twice what we bought but eventually we saved enough for a deposit for our house all while paying rent as well . We then worked hard and stuck to our budget and had our house paid off in 20 years. This was so hard but we did it .

And now most of our friends abd family are either still paying off a mortgage or paying rent because they lived for the moment and not the future.

We have many precious happy memories but all done on a budget.
I know someone in a similar situation, he is 75 or something and the house he and his wife were living in has been sold so they now have to move into a temporary house then into another long term rental they have organised in a couple of months, and store all their belongings and move it around what I can't understand is why they don't have their own house at their age, I understand there are sometimes extenuating circumstances but you are right, sometimes I can't fathom it! Maybe some of a us are a bit more fortunate than we realise I am not sure. Also don't forget some of these people are a bit smarter than the average Joe and are just trying to play the system sometimes and get help when they either don't try themselves or are not in as bad a situation as they make out but are just looking for some cheap accommodation.

The solution would be for people to start share living (communal living), where they share the cost of bills, utilities and rent. This woman should try and get someone else to rent with her and share the costs, not always easy but one solution.

When my husband asked for a divorce, I didn’t know where to go. He only paid me a certain amount. I managed to get a long term mortgage. I worked at 3 jobs as a nurse. I didn’t go on holidays. At one time I couldn’t afford to go out for lunch or dinner with friends. So I would just have a coffee and tell them I had lunch already and wasn’t hungry. I promised myself that I would own my own house by the time I was 60. And I did. I took my super out when I was able to and paid my mortgage off. So I hardly had any super when I was forced into retirement due to back and neck injuries. You don’t get any compensation when you have injuries through nursing. So now lm in my seventies and I can’t complain about the pension. I manage quiet well. I sold my house and bought a cheap house in a retirement village. So I have some money if I should have any emergencies crop up.

I know someone in a similar situation, he is 75 or something and the house he and his wife were living in has been sold so they now have to move into a temporary house then into another long term rental they have organised in a couple of months, and store all their belongings and move it around what I can't understand is why they don't have their own house at their age, I understand there are sometimes extenuating circumstances but you are right, sometimes I can't fathom it! Maybe some of a us are a bit more fortunate than we realise I am not sure. Also don't forget some of these people are a bit smarter than the average Joe and are just trying to play the system sometimes and get help when they either don't try themselves or are not in as bad a situation as they make out but are just looking for some cheap accommodation.
Going by my friends and family they just didn't want to go without some would even say ' your only young once enjoy life'

We were not rich not by far but we persisted and most of our kids are doing the same thing. We did without but didn't do without.

We did things with our kids that either didn't cost us or didn't cost us much eg bush walking , picnics, beach and family board games which my grown kids still get together at each ones house once amonth and play board games

When my husband asked for a divorce, I didn’t know where to go. He only paid me a certain amount. I managed to get a long term mortgage. I worked at 3 jobs as a nurse. I didn’t go on holidays. At one time I couldn’t afford to go out for lunch or dinner with friends. So I would just have a coffee and tell them I had lunch already and wasn’t hungry. I promised myself that I would own my own house by the time I was 60. And I did. I took my super out when I was able to and paid my mortgage off. So I hardly had any super when I was forced into retirement due to back and neck injuries. You don’t get any compensation when you have injuries through nursing. So now lm in my seventies and I can’t complain about the pension. I manage quiet well. I sold my house and bought a cheap house in a retirement village. So I have some money if I should have any emergencies crop up.
I think alot of people are now regretting not buying a house or unit when they were younger, it was in thee hard basket

Wow why did you not get more from your hubby like 50 %

Even attempting to understand rationale from a government that removed the Northern rivers railway line, and what it did for pensioners and people of all ages including stopping it from servicing THE CITY of Lismore, which is a nonsensical act that detrimentally still affects thousands is difficult. As this is what we have to deal with

Over $1000,000.00 people go to Byron Bay annually.

Everyone accessing it through one road in and one road out and they cancelled this highly valuable regional train travel service citing that it was not economically viable, ha ha ha.

So how on Earth can people who spend millions of dollars on party advertising and all manner of long lunches in expensive restaurants have any idea of what it is like to not have a massive bank account, regular restaurant meals and go on overseas holidays?

It's not their fault. Negative dissonance they call it. They really haven't collectively got a clue how people can't just work hard, get themselves a modern vehicle, house etc as they did it.

Personally, after being through a Cyclone, three floods, a shoulder slap tear injury, a heart area operation and being impacted by a bouncing log into this area and other injuries along the way ALL WITHOUT COMPENSATION. Plus, a failed marriage about forty years back and numerous thefts of my tools of building sites etc, I have lived out of a car many times for months on end.

It's not so bad living out of a vehicle, if there's a plan. Currently since the last Lismore flood eradicated most of my possessions, I live in a well-appointed building site hut up in Clunes.

I am here for another 8 months hopefully, and then I am to move on, and it is absolutely possible that I will be once again living out the back of my vehicle for a time again as well. it's not so bad.

The government has thousands of people doing this every year and they have been doing this for years. Many thousands of teenagers live on the streets. It's hard to see all of the poverty through the tinted windows of a fast-moving limousine on the way to the next long lunch.

The act of throwing coins out to the needy masses occasionally, is a bonus that dates back to the Roman times as a way to appease and entertain and raise approval, so none should complain about handouts. It's just the way Australian politics works.

Every election we get something, so that's enough. Complaining doesn't do a thing. Debating the truth is the lifeblood of politics. The thing about Truth, is: Everything is True at some point False at some point, or Meaningless at some point, it all depends on a person's perspective.

And quite simply, unless one has had a similar life experience, they cannot share the same understanding of another, so it's quite simply not their fault. When it comes to living life without all the trimmings the vast majority of them don't seem to have a clue.

View attachment 15300

Key Takeaways

View attachment 15301

First get your maths right: a 20% increase on $400 is $480 NOT $510!

View attachment 15300

Key Takeaways

View attachment 15301

I believe that there are too many able- bodied people living off welfare, hence the huge drop in employment figures. The government won't do anything about it as (shock & horror!) they'll lose votes!

I have seen at least two women coming into my medical centre, their cars packed full of their belongings. I presume they are homeless because why else would you have all that you had stuffed in a car. This is an outrageos situation in the "lucky" country. I feel for women who have to do this. I know the government can't solve all the problems quickly, but we need more affordable public housing and I am sorry, I am going to be shot done here, why give preference to ex-prisioners over older women in getting housing. The situation has really as I see it gone to the "dogs". I wish my place was bigger than one room and i would share with one of these women. I don't think the government cares about older people in general. They see us as a burden on the tax purse and I really feel they want us to drop off, so they don't have to pay aged pensions or other pensions to the elderly or get the nursing homes into a decent, fully staffed situation where it is safe to go when we get to this time. I dread when it comes to me going into a nursing home because I know as a government bed, I will probably be treated badly.😱
well said

There are many single women who after a lifetime of work or full time volunteering are surviving on the pension. Not everyone has earned a wage allowing them to access a mortgage. Once you are past 70, governments want you to pass on quickly as you are considered a burden. They didn’t think that when they got your work & skills for free! No nursing home for me either. Better to die in a car than fading away ignored in government care!

The upcoming increase in payments is not "the government's plan". It is a regular cost-of-living adjustment of payments (some every six months, some annually), which is not determined by the government of the day, with one recent exception when the previous government canned it because of the extra payments which were given out during Covid.

Not something to either praise or blame the current government for.

An increase separate to this is much needed, and is a quite different matter.

I know of one family, mother has public housing unit, son on his own in public housing of three bedrooms, has partner in own public housing. That’s 5 extra bedrooms that could be shared with homeless people. All on pensions and only pay minimal amount of rent. Disgraceful when there are so many homeless.

View attachment 15300

Key Takeaways

View attachment 15301

Don't the owners of these units have a conscience? How do they kick an 81 year old out onto the streets. Why isn't rent capped, the government should be ashamed what's happening to the older generation. Criminals get looked after better.

Even attempting to understand rationale from a government that removed the Northern rivers railway line, and what it did for pensioners and people of all ages including stopping it from servicing THE CITY of Lismore, which is a nonsensical act that detrimentally still affects thousands is difficult. As this is what we have to deal with

Over $1000,000.00 people go to Byron Bay annually.

Everyone accessing it through one road in and one road out and they cancelled this highly valuable regional train travel service citing that it was not economically viable, ha ha ha.

So how on Earth can people who spend millions of dollars on party advertising and all manner of long lunches in expensive restaurants have any idea of what it is like to not have a massive bank account, regular restaurant meals and go on overseas holidays?

It's not their fault. Negative dissonance they call it. They really haven't collectively got a clue how people can't just work hard, get themselves a modern vehicle, house etc as they did it.

Personally, after being through a Cyclone, three floods, a shoulder slap tear injury, a heart area operation and being impacted by a bouncing log into this area and other injuries along the way ALL WITHOUT COMPENSATION. Plus, a failed marriage about forty years back and numerous thefts of my tools of building sites etc, I have lived out of a car many times for months on end.

It's not so bad living out of a vehicle, if there's a plan. Currently since the last Lismore flood eradicated most of my possessions, I live in a well-appointed building site hut up in Clunes.

I am here for another 8 months hopefully, and then I am to move on, and it is absolutely possible that I will be once again living out the back of my vehicle for a time again as well. it's not so bad.

The government has thousands of people doing this every year and they have been doing this for years. Many thousands of teenagers live on the streets. It's hard to see all of the poverty through the tinted windows of a fast-moving limousine on the way to the next long lunch.

The act of throwing coins out to the needy masses occasionally, is a bonus that dates back to the Roman times as a way to appease and entertain and raise approval, so none should complain about handouts. It's just the way Australian politics works.

Every election we get something, so that's enough. Complaining doesn't do a thing. Debating the truth is the lifeblood of politics. The thing about Truth, is: Everything is True at some point False at some point, or Meaningless at some point, it all depends on a person's perspective.

And quite simply, unless one has had a similar life experience, they cannot share the same understanding of another, so it's quite simply not their fault. When it comes to living life without all the trimmings the vast majority of them don't seem to have a clue.
Such a good comment- you are absolutely right!! I’m so sorry you have had so much to endure, but inspired by your cheerfulness!!