Umbrellas are SO last decade! Man spends TWO YEARS making a 3-metre tunnel to avoid getting wet from the rain

Have you ever gone out of your way to do something unimaginable just to resolve a tiny problem? Take, for instance, throwing away a really dirty plate instead of washing it. Okay, don’t call us out for how oddly specific that was – we swear we’ve never done anything like that before!

One man, however, took things to a whole new level after spending two years hand digging a three-metre long tunnel that connects his house to his shed. Yes, you read that right.

KmBtgG5sDyvki8mjMy22iAPbR-nCuuDyFeX2tGAKmLysj5cninr0Ofq7ASJ80on40QNR6zrNr_loX45MBgpi1mk2A7gdWt82xGi9h2gtxKPGjZlXd_4_Y0_sTTfAspxlSqb68G8A
fOydy-1ecptEpaCMf5dWFCk1kpzPsFA8ROnuicQ3SfokUwxutWVmWpFmT_Xa9TLpZZg8XE_lp3xaaBYay-lc9hhi69WytVlHns09R2hCW57HpCbSsX_RiZro66nxDEwMsPZmRAVb

Colin’s mind-boggling tunnel project. Image Credit: @colin_furze

Youtuber and inventor Colin Furze, from England, worked on this unbelievable project for months, removing a staggering of three-and-a-half tonnes of rubble every day.

The 42-year-old, whose digging videos have each amassed over six million views, has now finally connected the tunnel to his house located in Lincolnshire, claiming it’s one of the ‘most enjoyable’ projects he has ever done.

“It's been one of the most talked about projects on my channel.” he said.

“It's a very cool project, everyone likes the idea of digging tunnels. I do the projects that people really want to do but don't have the time or money to actually make happen.”

“I'm very lucky as it's quicker to open my back door and walk to my shed, but it's much more fun to use an underground tunnel and it means you don't get wet if it's raining.” he continued.

The Youtuber began his endeavour in November 2018 – starting under his shed floor, he dug down to three-and-a-half metres deep (which took a year to complete) and continued working on the project when his neighbours were out to be considerate and avoid bothering them with noise.

He merely used a shovel, a bucket, and his wits to design a pulley system that hoisted the rubble out of the hole as it got deeper.

He re-started the tunnel back in March 2021, using hydraulics to dig sideways through the soil and rock. He also got some extra help from his mates Rick Simpson and Tom Lamb.

When the tunnel reached the point of being inconveniently long, Colin decided to build a small minecart along with a track to help transport the rubble out of the hole quicker.

tidCT2mfZ5LF6G0gomwJiy-aUjh7edCksmMmwZLbycb8a_kutfrhZ4Q4Hs-S2nSQKMWLIjPo5-x7p6lH46570-kittFyZP7i_if9pd2JdZqx4FH0v0-xv7twvNZgDjpiGPyiiOuQ
Dvb_SG__-m7X12U9xce_cMGOsOPUtw5dUJxDLRhBiVlq4hApsW5Bo4hFIEXZTw1W61QCMPRT5WZtfP9hZfQAnFcF_NoCch_tXNmsH46Vjvu0pUDWdGrtZHiFkBDhuxh1YVwvDkb7

Colin riding his minecart. Image Credit: @colinfurze (Youtube)

“We had to dig the whole thing by hand as the tunnel goes underneath the foundations of my shed, garage and house.” he explained.

“It was very hard work but also one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done.”

“We wanted to keep the noise down for my neighbours so used a shovel and hydraulics, which were really quiet.” he added.

The tunnel was reinforced with steel and concrete, turning out to be 1.2 metres wide and two metres high. It comes up in a cupboard located in Colin’s kitchen.

Colin is well-known for his astonishing inventions, including the world’s fastest mobility scooter and a drivable hot tub car. He mentioned that everyone who has seen his masterpiece wanted to try it out for themselves.

“It's very spacious in the tunnel, everyone who visits wants to try it out.”

No matter how mad his projects may seem, we’ve gotta hand it to Colin for his mind-boggling inventions! What are your thoughts on this story? Share it with us in the comments!

Want to see the final result of Colin’s tunnel? Watch below!

Video Credit: colinfurze

Sponsored
As the heading stated a 12 metre tunnel, I thought that was a mammoth task, but it's actually 3 metres long, so not quite such a mammoth effort.
Bit of The Great Escape here, I think their tunnel was more than 110 metres.
They had to consider the neighbours and reduce their noise, too.
You'd have to be sure of what you are doing, to ensure there'd be no unfortunate accidents, and it would have to have proper drainage etc.
Are permits required for this type of construction?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci and KatKop
As the heading stated a 12 metre tunnel, I thought that was a mammoth task, but it's actually 3 metres long, so not quite such a mammoth effort.
You'd have to be sure of what you are doing, to ensure there'd be no unfortunate accidents, and it would have to have proper drainage etc.
Love your subtle 'consider the neighbours' @JayKay!! ;)

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci
Reading the article, the tunnel is 3 metres deep and 12 metres long. This can also be seen in the photos and videos.

Reactions: Ricci
In the second paragraph of the article I read, it states the tunnel as being 3 metres long, towards the end of the article it states the tunnel is
1.2 metres wide and 2 metres deep.
Please accept my apologies if I've missed the 12 metres long bit.
I don't have a computer, only my tiny phone screen, so it's easy to overlook bits.

Absolutely love this.
Yes maybe a waste of time and money in some people's view, but he obviously has the time and money so why not.

Reactions: Ricci and Elbe
How fabulous! The man is obviously a skilled craftsman and is fortunate to have lots of time & money to indulge his passions. I know my late husband would have absolutely loved to do something like that.

Reactions: Ricci