Uber unveils revolutionary feature in Australia

As technology advances, its impact on the environment has become increasingly evident. It often contributes to pollution, resource depletion, and ecological imbalances.

However, many companies actively adopt sustainable practices and innovative solutions to minimise environmental harm in response to these challenges.

These efforts pave the way for a greener future, demonstrating a commitment to balancing technological progress with environmental stewardship.

The Uber app's latest addition is the 'Rider Emissions Savings' feature, designed to inform and inspire Australians to make greener transportation choices.

This new tool allows riders to estimate the carbon dioxide (CO₂) emissions they've saved by choosing two of Uber's sustainable ride options: 'Uber Green' and 'Comfort Electric'.

Uber Green is a service that matches passengers with an electric or hybrid vehicle at the same price as the traditional UberX.

unnamed (20).png
This new tool helps riders see how much CO₂ they've saved using Uber's eco-friendly ride. Credit: Uber

This option provides a more environmentally friendly ride without any additional cost to the user.

On the other hand, the 'Comfort Electric' option is a premium service that offers a ride in a fully electric car.

These vehicles were not only eco-friendly but also came with the assurance of having completed at least 100 rides and maintaining a minimum rating of 4.85, ensuring a quality experience for passengers.

By visiting the account screen on the Uber app, Aussies can now see the amount of CO2 they've saved, expressed in kilograms, when they travel using 'Uber Green' or 'Comfort Electric'.

The app calculates the total saved emissions by comparing the tailpipe emissions avoided to those from UberX or Uber Comfort trips of the same distance in your city.

Anna Brito, Head of Sustainability, Strategy & Planning for Uber Australia and New Zealand, expressed the company's commitment to facilitating a lower-emissions lifestyle.

‘We hope this new feature encourages Aussies to reconsider their habits when it comes to greener ways of travelling,’ she stated.

This initiative is part of Uber's broader mission to reduce its carbon footprint and promote sustainable practices.

Uber invested tens of millions of dollars in subsidising driver commission fees to achieve this goal.

This subsidy aims to save Australian Uber drivers up to $3,500 annually for three years, helping them transition towards electric vehicles.

The results show that in the first quarter of 2024, Australian Uber riders took 1.8 million trips in over 4,000 electric vehicle (EV) Ubers, accounting for four per cent of Uber drivers' total kilometres for the period.

This news is particularly timely, as Australia's EV car sales have surged, growing by more than 10 per cent in May after a slight dip in April.

Overall, this year saw a nearly 27 per cent increase in EV sales, while hybrid vehicle sales have doubled.

In related news, an Uber Eats customer discovered unexpected items on the pizza he ordered from a pizzeria.

He expressed concerns about the potential harm of these items. You can read more about the incident here.
Key Takeaways

• Uber introduced a new 'Rider Emissions Savings' feature in Australia to encourage greener choices among its users.
  • The feature lets users see the estimated carbon dioxide (CO₂) emissions they've saved by using 'Uber Green' or 'Comfort Electric' sustainable ride options.
  • The company subsidised driver commission fees to help Australian Uber drivers save money for electric vehicles.
  • In the first quarter of 2024, Australian Uber riders took 1.8 million electric vehicle trips, representing four per cent of all Uber driver kilometres for the period.
Members, do you use Uber? What do you think of this new feature? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
why do they call these new cars electric...they are not,.... they are battery operated cars....they still need petrol/deisel engines to re charge the batteries, (SO WHERE IS THE SAVING OF EMISSIONS ? ) my flashlight is also battery operated and when they are dead or recharging is no longer useful ,I polute the earth with these dead batteries...my torch is not electric but battery operated as is these new cars, so what happens with all the dead batteries in future...I know...someone will come up with something, same as ozone/carbon/etc, we're not growing up. ,were growing down, we seem to be transferring the problem into the future as always, I think they call it progress

Reactions: I'm Mal
why do they call these new cars electric...they are not,.... they are battery operated cars....they still need petrol/deisel engines to re charge the batteries, (SO WHERE IS THE SAVING OF EMISSIONS ? ) my flashlight is also battery operated and when they are dead or recharging is no longer useful ,I polute the earth with these dead batteries...my torch is not electric but battery operated as is these new cars, so what happens with all the dead batteries in future...I know...someone will come up with something, same as ozone/carbon/etc, we're not growing up. ,were growing down, we seem to be transferring the problem into the future as always, I think they call it progress
Totally agree with that.
I do have a hybrid. That's primarily because most charging stations power off the mains, so, I cannot see the plus for the environment.
I am waiting for the dawn of Hydrogen Power ... now that would be something. Get that from the air, hey. Unfortunately, that will probably come in time for my grand kids to grab onto. One can live in hope.

Living out here in the stunning countryside I can honestly say I have never used UBER and I never will. I have only ever used a Taxi, Bus, or Train when I have needed to travel to and around the city when I visit (which is exceedingly rare). Yes, I drive a car but am careful how offend I use it.

I am waiting for the dawn of Hydrogen Power ... now that would be something. Get that from the air, hey. Unfortunately, that will probably come in time for my grand kids to grab onto. One can live in hope.
The trouble is that hydrogen does not occur in nature. It is produced by the breakdown of the water molecule by electrolysis.

And guess what? You need ELECTRICITY to make electrolysis happen. The whole clean energy hype is just chasing its own tail.

Same as lithium batteries. The extraction of lithium from its ore is many times more energy consuming than the extraction and refining of crude oil.

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM
The trouble is that hydrogen does not occur in nature. It is produced by the breakdown of the water molecule by electrolysis.

And guess what? You need ELECTRICITY to make electrolysis happen. The whole clean energy hype is just chasing its own tail.

Same as lithium batteries. The extraction of lithium from its ore is many times more energy consuming than the extraction and refining of crude oil.
Well, that's a kick in the bott bott. I didn't know that. So, looks like hybrid is the best for us at the moment. Hydrogen won't happen before I drop off the perch anyhow. That leaves atomic power....no thanks, and thermal energy ... let just tap into a few active volcanos to save time.
It's a worry.

Well, that's a kick in the bott bott. I didn't know that. So, looks like hybrid is the best for us at the moment. Hydrogen won't happen before I drop off the perch anyhow. That leaves atomic power....no thanks, and thermal energy ... let just tap into a few active volcanos to save time.
It's a worry.
You're not going anywhere soon. @MariaG you are too much of a valued contributor to depart this forum.

And life in general. ❤️

• Love
Reactions: MariaG and DLHM